First daily stick shift car...
Dec 20, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #61 of 112
Looks nice, Velocity red? Check out Mazda6Forums if you haven't already.

I've been driving stick ever since I could drive but after driving through heavy traffic for a number of months I think my next vehicle will be an automatic. Sure the stick is fun around the corners and in clear traffic but getting stuck in grid-lock and constantly having to ease the clutch in and out in first gear for 15 minute blocks can be pretty annoying.

Dec 20, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #62 of 112
I can relate to that...nothing to huge in Michigan, but when I was in california...between the hills and the traffic stick-shift is just not smart...

Dec 20, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #63 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't he just say Madaspeed6 in the post two above yours?
confused.gif

Didn't see it, musta read right past it :p ...my mistake....

Dec 20, 2006 at 12:19 PM Post #64 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best vehicle I've owned so far was a 1988 Ford F-150 Custom (with the big 4.9L straight 6, the biggest gasoline engine in them at the time), which I bought in 1999 and only just got rid of before I left the States in 2004. Hummed like a bee. But true, the clutch was a workout and others who borrowed the truck could never get the hang of it.

But if you think that's bad, try an old double-clutched army truck!
wink.gif

--Chris

Lol, that's the same truck my dad has. 1990 Ford F-150 custom with the bullet proof 4.9 liter straight six. My dad has kept this truck to this day because they really don't make 'em like they used to. We checked out the '05 "Super Dutys" since our F-150 is getting a bit long in the tooth (It only has 25k miles on it since we don't really use it anymore, but the ac compressor has had to be replaced twice) last year and even the F-350 SD felt a little "micky mouse" in comparison. The body panels and structure just aren't as sturdy as they were, even the front and rear bumpers are chintzy, nothing like good old rolled steel.
biggrin.gif
I must admit though, the new 6.0L diesel with the 6 speed manual tranny can haul some serious arse.

Dec 20, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #65 of 112
When im stuck in heavy traffic or driving in areas with alot of hills i don't really find it annoying when im driving a manual. In fact i don't even notice it, it has become second nature to me.

For manual drivers i recommend you to learn double clutching and heel toe. It just makes driving a manual car alot more fun. It also gives the feeling of being in a sporty car when you are doing it in a crappy sedan
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #66 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by pezzy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For manual drivers i recommend you to learn double clutching and heel toe. It just makes driving a manual car alot more fun. It also gives the feeling of being in a sporty car when you are doing it in a crappy sedan
smily_headphones1.gif

Double clutching? You mean like "clutch, shift to neutral, clutch, shift into next gear"? That hasn't been necessary since manual gearboxes started coming with synchros, and will only make you slower...

Dec 20, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #67 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Double clutching? You mean like "clutch, shift to neutral, clutch, shift into next gear"? That hasn't been necessary since manual gearboxes started coming with synchros, and will only make you slower...

Yep. I double-clutched for a while for the hell of it, but in city traffic it's actually just dangerous when your shifts take nearly two seconds.

Dec 20, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #69 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by ċãţ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just don't let the clutch up too quick.

mmhmm? and how do you expect him to learn how to perform a sick-ass burnout?

best bet to learn how to shift is to go joy-riding as much as possible .right.now.
get off the net and shred some rubber.
over-rev, ride that clutch, slap your gears together; strip your synchros, chip your powerdrives; go back to the dealer and get it all replaced.
after you get it back, you'll be driving like a girl in no time flat.

Dec 20, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #70 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to mention the increase in clutch wear you'd experience...

Clutches cost too much on my car to play around like that.

As if synchronizers are cheap to replace

A lazy multi-gear downshift (ie 5 to 3) will result in more clutch and synchronizer wear if a proper double-clutch isnt performed

Dec 25, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #71 of 112
Well i drive a corolla so parts arn't that expensive. Besides my clutch can probably last another 100k's. I actually find it slower if i don't double clutch.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion to bring in some fun when driving a manual
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 25, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #72 of 112
The truck at the bottom of the picture is what I learned to drive. It was a one ton model that we had to haul stuff around our place. I think my dad figured that I would not get in much trouble with this beauty. I drove it to school for a couple of years but left it behind when I went to college.

page0157.html

Dec 25, 2006 at 3:21 PM Post #73 of 112
The truck at the bottom of the picture is what I learned to drive. It was a one ton model that we had to haul stuff around our place. I think my dad figured that I would not get in much trouble with this beauty. I drove it to school for a couple of years but left it behind when I went to college. I have had a car or truck with a clutch almost exclusively since this one.

img00044.gif

Dec 25, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #74 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He he
tongue.gif

I am sure there are Europeans which don't know how to drive a shift stick car as well.

In the UK you can choose to take your test in an auto or manual gearbox car. If you choose to take it in an Auto, that's all you can drive. If you take it in a Manual, you'll be able to drive in both. I don't know ANYONE who has a driving licence that only has the Auto Licence, except people who are disable which obviosuly would be difficult to work an Manual.

Learning an uphill start is part of the test, you SHOULD do it with the handbrake on, that's how they want you to do it in the test as it is safer. But anyone who's been driving for a while will moved to the footbrake instead and then hold the car up on the hill using just the clutch.

Dec 25, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #75 of 112
My instructor said not to double clutch or leave it in neutral at the lights.

Apparent reason is if theres an accident involving your car if you have it in gear it will stall or won't get very far, but say if someone goes up your ass at a red light on a hill, you have it in neutral and you have your foot knocked off the brake pedal for example and roll straight through the lights. Similar bad scenarios could come to mind while in transit and in neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back