First daily stick shift car...
Dec 19, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #17 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan1son /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a 6-speed as in a 270+hp turbocharged sports sedan...

So it's on the, oh crap it died again, grippy side... or the, oh crap I just lunged forward into the back of that tracter trailor, side.

I appreciate the help. I've been driving if for about a week now and have gotten considerably better, but I'm still a little rough and I've killed it a couple times.

I'm probably expecting too much too fast. I want to drive it so well it feels like an automatic to the passengers.

evo mr or STi?

i can't help you much with the evo, but from experience i can tell you that subaru manuals are some of the toughest sticks to drive smoothly, and most subaru owners will agree with me on that one, but just keep at it, i've been driving stick for 9 years now, and everytime i drive a friends car my first few shifts are still rough, just gotta adjust to the car

cheeseberts advice is one of the best ideas though, if you can master clutch engagement and get it rolling with no gas, then you just have to work on touch with the gas, which should be much easier

Dec 19, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #18 of 112
Well, I did a little manual driving a few months back. My dad tried to teach me manual in his mazda rx-8. After a few tries and maybe 5 stalls at launch I got the hang of it, if only a little. I do know that a proper launch feels so damn good. I only managed it once, but you can hear and feel the engine is working exactly as it should. But I have to drive with only socks on, I just can't get the proper foot action on the clutch with trainers on.

How is the clutch action on a very boring car, like a supermini or something? I find the rx-8's clutch to be very sensitive from full depression, but I do realise that a sports car is designed to be a sensitive, precision drive.

edit: Oh, and my dad insisted that I master getting the car moving without using the throttle before anything else, so maybe that is why it took so long for me. And a complaint, I might add: Nobody, and I mean nobody, in any professional manner is willing to teach manual any more! You can't even *rent* a manual car! How on earth are us guys born around 1985 and in North America (where laziness==no manual) meant to learn? What the OP has done seems to be the only way...get a MT car and teach yourself in some way. That can't be good.

Dec 19, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #19 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan1son /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a 6-speed as in a 270+hp turbocharged sports sedan...

This thread sucks without pics! Show up what you got!

Dec 19, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #21 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by nysulli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
evo mr or STi?

Its gonna be an Evo since he said 270+ and not 300+. No way to tell if its an MR or not...they're all 6 speeds on the IXs.

Dec 19, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #22 of 112
Quote:

evo mr or STi?

i can't help you much with the evo, but from experience i can tell you that subaru manuals are some of the toughest sticks to drive smoothly, and most subaru owners will agree with me on that one, but just keep at it, i've been driving stick for 9 years now, and everytime i drive a friends car my first few shifts are still rough, just gotta adjust to the car

cheeseberts advice is one of the best ideas though, if you can master clutch engagement and get it rolling with no gas, then you just have to work on touch with the gas, which should be much easier

When I learned to drive stick (In Canada), BOTH my cars were stick-shift Subaru's....I know what you're saying....

Not only that, but each one varied IMMENSELY! The Legacy wagon (don't make fun of me
tongue.gif
) had a really long clutch path (dunno a better description), where as the GT's clutch was probably about 1.5 inches from top to bottom
580smile.gif
. Also drove a friends WRX for about an hour...that was fun..

Dec 19, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #24 of 112
Quote:

i figured evo, but technically the sti isn't 300 hp anymore due to the changed rating system, its 293

and not to be a stickler for details, but only the MR is a 6-speed, the rs and IX are 5's

http://www.mitsubishimotors.com/MMNA...en-us#specsTab

Ahh...thats right. I forgot only Jap-Spec GSRs and FQs were 6 speed. For some reason I thought the GSRs here were going to get the 6 speeds too. I guess it works out...those 5 speeds are stout as hell. Its interesting about the STi rating...did not know that.

A buddy of mine just got a IX MR. Still need to go check it out. One of his buddies made 409 to the wheels with just bolt-ons and a tune. Pretty insane.

Dec 19, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #26 of 112
yeah, my buddy has a IX with a turboback and a tune and he's making around 350 crank hp, 2 others around me are heavily modded and run 10's

but lookout for the 07 sti's, they just got the avcs heads, the first few dyno's are getting posted with $2600 put into full exhaust and a custom tune and their putting down 390 ftlb 330 whp on pump gas with 19.5 psi peak fading to 15 (stock turbos just to small to keep up with the higher flow heads)

given that i'll be in the market for a new ride in a year or 2, i think the sti just jumped ahead of the legacy gt, i can't wait to see the kinda numbers people will throw down with teh typical turbokits on those new sti's

Dec 19, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #27 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if it is stop go you can try to start on second gear.

badddd news with a on-off-switch clutch.

better to let the car idle in first or second and make many spaces in front of you to jsut idle into when they stop. with practice, you can "match" your speed so you dont need to use the brake much. i can consistently drive in urban NJ traffic without using the brakes...

anyways, tips for a "switchmode" clutch.
1: when you shift up you no doubt notice that the rpms drop to a certain place or so. when you lift your foot from the accelerator keep it JUST BARELY on the pedal. the rpms will not fall as quickly, but if they are falling the shift will not be one that throws you to the belts.

downshifting:
same as above.
in my car, the "magic spot" is EXACTLY the spot that you would use to cruse at that speed on a level road. it is worth note that the Porsche design criteria specify this... i dont drive a Porsche, i drive a GM saab 900 turbo. whatever, it has an on-off clutch. anyways, say to drive about in 4'th on a level road at 35mph you need 15% throttle. when you drop to second to pass the ccvcc type gtr spec-v (and pass him violently you will) just push the clutch down, DONT MOVE YOUR RIGHT FOOT (unless you are going up or down a hill experience will tell you,) make your shift, clutch pedal all the way up, and then stomp the gas. mind you, you NEVER close the throttle to do this, and the turbo may stay at least partially spooled. after practice, i can downsift from the second overdrive to second gear at 50mph with the only cue being engine pitch, and acceleration. this shift (the fast and accurate downshift) needs more practice than the up shift.

the above is really just a long and short explanation of rev matching with single clutch techniques. it takes some practice.

edited:
not likely, but dont complain to me if you blow the sneeze out of your transmission.

Dec 19, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #28 of 112
Quote:

yeah, my buddy has a IX with a turboback and a tune and he's making around 350 crank hp, 2 others around me are heavily modded and run 10's

but lookout for the 07 sti's, they just got the avcs heads, the first few dyno's are getting posted with $2600 put into full exhaust and a custom tune and their putting down 390 ftlb 330 whp on pump gas with 19.5 psi peak fading to 15 (stock turbos just to small to keep up with the higher flow heads)

given that i'll be in the market for a new ride in a year or 2, i think the sti just jumped ahead of the legacy gt, i can't wait to see the kinda numbers people will throw down with teh typical turbokits on those new sti's

Thats great that their making more power, but its the tranny that is weak in them. It was just a matter of time before more research and parts became available for the EJ25. I much prefer working with an i4 vs a flat four. Everything is just so much more accessible. As for the new STi's, I still like the 05 STi alot more. The hood and front just look dumb on the new ones. Side profile is nice though. I would say the tail lights got worse too, but its still better than the altezzas on the Evo.

Oh well...Enough thread jacking.
icon10.gif

Dec 19, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #29 of 112
LOVE driving a car with a stick. Company car now so it's not an option.

My advice would be to slow down on both the release of the clutch and the pressing of the gas peddle. Go to a parking lot and find that happy point where the clutch releases and the gas is pressed enough to engage the engine but not jerk forward. Find that sweet spot and push the clutch and gas in and out a little to play with that spot. That will train you to remember where the transmission will "catch" and make you more smooth and comfortable.

Dec 19, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #30 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And also i think its really important to be able to be stationary on an incline without using the break...just a balance between clutch and gas.

That's a handy technique, but it's bad for your clutch. Make sure you always engage the emergency brake when stopped on an incline - of course, you have to learn the starting-on-an-incline-with-the-handbrake technique.

Anyway, stick shift is the ONLY way to go if you really want to become a good driver. It really enhances your understanding of cars and makes you so much better. Plus, it's cheaper and can get you better gas mileage. I'd buy a bike before an automatic now.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back