First custom: Straight to the top with JHA JH16? (Very confused!)
Feb 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #16 of 31
Do not get the 13. It's for analytical listening and it sounds thin without proper amping. The 16 will sound a lot fuller with more depth out of a portable DAP and the bass is more coherent than the 13 where it's sub-bass bump is annoying as hell in some tracks.

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:
Regarding details, the 530s are rolled off in the treble, I thought the 535s fixed that but not sure.

People say that a lot, yes it was fixed to a degree, but the change was incremental, nothing huge.  They sound just about the same to me.  The biggest difference to me was that the 530's were slightly more neutral whereas the 535s were slightly mid-forward.

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:
Better seal will only add to the midbass. They are bass heavy phones. The 13s are more accurate and by ALL accounts, the new FP versions are significantly improved. Both are top of the line ($50 difference) but somethig with more bass is needed for certain situations unrelated to home use or preference.

I wish someone told me this before.  I had posted so many threads all around the web about customs, and the 16s were just universally recommended, i never heard anything about the 13s.  As it turns out, I may have appreciated the 13s a bit more.  I don't like that the low-end overpowers the midrange, I like vocals to sparkle, and they don't do that on the 16s.

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:
I wish someone told me this before.  I had posted so many threads all around the web about customs, and the 16s were just universally recommended, i never heard anything about the 13s.  As it turns out, I may have appreciated the 13s a bit more.  I don't like that the low-end overpowers the midrange, I like vocals to sparkle, and they don't do that on the 16s.

13 has one of the worst vocals out of all my headphones, especially for males.

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:
The JH13Pro are better if you don't need extra bass and overall they are stunning compared to universal IEMs due to higher resolution soundquality(all instruments has better space and they sound amazing) with superb imaging, instruments separation and wide soundstage.

I must admit, I wasn't actually considering the 13's until I read this. I had only heard the 16's briefly and decided that it suited my taste due to the strong bass it had in them. But my concern about that is whether I'd find it overpowering someday, esp. if I were to add an amp to the equation. So I'm going back to the shop today to demo the JH16's again (and properly). Unfortunately the shop doesn't have the 13's on hand, so that's a bummer.

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #24 of 31
Oh wow, we're already on the second page. 
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #25 of 31
The thing I like about the JH16 is that the bass is powerful, but well controlled and textured with a lot of headspace.  It doesn't bleed into the mids..I didn't find them overpowering, but your milage may vary..

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:
The thing I like about the JH16 is that the bass is powerful, but well controlled and textured with a lot of headspace.  It doesn't bleed into the mids..I didn't find them overpowering, but your milage may vary..

Btw, I've read that with customs, there is a stronger bass presence due to the isolation that customs provide. Is this true? If so, should I be expecting that on the actual JH16 compared to the demo set?

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:
What about togo 334 vs. JH 16?

I haven't received my freqphase 16pro yet and they should be here early next week or late this weekend if I'm lucky.
I expect to be much more 3D sounding than my thin sounding old JH13 judging from the demo I listened.
I actually do not agree with the statement that JH13 is good option for someone who dislike too much bass, because I found the sub-bass on those to be quite abrupt. I think for a non-bass head the Westone ES5 or ES3X might be better option. I hate bass, but still I found the coherent bass on 16 enjoyable while the abrupt bass on 13 disgusting. The mid bass boost on the 16s definitely helps to make the bass sound more like a whole thing instead of some wrongly placed sub-woofers.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #28 of 31
Btw, I've read that with customs, there is a stronger bass presence due to the isolation that customs provide. Is this true? If so, should I be expecting that on the actual JH16 compared to the demo set?

That and bone conduction..never heard the demo so I don't know honestly

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #29 of 31
Mine is here. 
And boy they look gorgeous.
No where near bass heavy. Maybe it's cause I've listened IE800 for a while, I found it to be bass "light" in comparison, light by quite a margin.

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:
the togo 334.
even W4 has much better vocal than JH13.

Quote:
13 has one of the worst vocals out of all my headphones, especially for males.

Iam surprise by these statements and to me they are amazing include vocal performance, bass, mids, highs, soundstage, imaging and compared to Shure SE535 is like comparing stereo system to hifi home theatre system. If need more bass than SE535 then JH13Pro definitely produce more punchy bass with impact and subbass without going slow. The Other IEMs like ES5, 8A, UM Miracle, UERM, Earsonic EM6 are also great buy if need good allrounder for almost all genres music with good punchy bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back