First contact with the HD 650...
Sep 21, 2003 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

JaZZ

Headphoneus Supremus
Today I've visited the Swiss high-end fair called AdVance in Pfäffikon at the Lake of Zurich. Believe me, I wasn't even prepared, but suddenly there was a Sennheiser demo stand with their current headphone line hanging on the wall, among them the HD 650! Apart from the color it looks and feels exactly like the HD 600. The sound... grrrr!!!
lmaa.gif
Couldn't they have chosen better music! It's very hard to judge the quality of an unknown headphone with such sterile disco-pop, with female vocals and electronic accompaniment. Really annoying. I asked for a different music, but without success. Well, let's take what's there. My first impression was that it sounded quite different from the HD 600, with deep and strong bass that's tighter and cleaner. Also the high end is more pronounced, clearer, more brilliant, and there's no trace of any veil, but a higher smoothness and maybe transparency. I switched to the HD 600, and I found there was more intimacy and atmosphere, although less extension. With the new model, some of the HD 600 magic is gone. But the sound seems to be more spirited, more exciting. But no, Grado never came to mind during the audition.
tongue.gif

It's really hard to get a valid impression under these circumstances, but I do think the new model could be a considerable improvement. Its character seems to lean more towards the DT 880's freshness and clarity, but with stronger bass - in this case it was a bit too strong for my taste, but probably it's the recording which is to blame. I can't make any statement on the soundstage, because of the inadequate recording and the short audition time. All I can say is that this experience didn't narrow my decidedness to buy the HD 650 as soon as it's available - which will be in late October or early November according to the reps.

peacesign.gif

Sep 21, 2003 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 57
That must have been a real exercise in frustration, Jazz. What do you think of the new paint job? Is the finish polished (chrome-like) or does it have a brushed appearance?

Thanks for the early poop.
tongue.gif

Sep 21, 2003 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 57
After all, there is some progress. A Head-fier has now seen the HD650 in reality and put it on his head!
Your impressions seem to fit well with Sennheisers design goals and the pre-review in Stereoplay. I sold my HD600 but will probably buy a HD650 soon.

Quote: "With the new model, some of the HD 600 magic is gone." I predict that there will be a team arguing that HD650 is better than HD600.

Maniacsmile, the cord will be the same but still easy to exchange. What I understand with the current Cardas replacements etc.

Sep 21, 2003 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 57
Jazz,
When you say with the HD650 there is less intimacy and "the magic is gone" do you mean it is less emotional?

Sep 21, 2003 at 9:39 PM Post #8 of 57
I can already see the war developing on whether the HD650 truly is "better" than the HD600. However, if the sonic characteristics turn out to be as radically different as they seem to be, it'll simply be an issue of personal preference.

It sounds like the HD650 turned out like an entirely new headphone, instead of a mere upgrade.

Sep 21, 2003 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 57
Quote:

Maniacsmile, the cord will be the same but still easy to exchange. What I understand with the current Cardas replacements etc.

Anders,

I was trying to figure out if we would need to replace the cable as it is - meaning that maybe the new cable is so good, that we won't need to change it to Cardas or Equinox, or anything else for that matter.

Sep 21, 2003 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 57
As far as I can judge from the outside, the cable is exactly the same. BTW I can imagine that it suits the now sonic signature better than the one of the HD 600.

Sorry, Spad, I didn't pay attention to the optical appearance because I was that much focussed on my attept to judge the sound, I just realized that it had a brighter color than its predecessor.

And yes, the lost «magic» has to do with its less emotional presentation; despite its opulent bass - which is my greatest concern at the moment - it sounded cooler than the HD 600. But hey, the music that was playing wasn't the least bit emotionally touching, so maybe that means it's more accurate.
very_evil_smiley.gif

It's not yet on sale, so I have to wait like you all, guys, and to deal with my still existing doubts. But I'm quite sure that it's better than the HD 600 overall.

peacesign.gif

Sep 21, 2003 at 10:54 PM Post #11 of 57
Congrat. Jazz, it's look like you're the FIRST who have tried the HD650 around here, at least the first to report...very interesting, thank you.

But i'm a afraid that maybe some 'neutrality' is gone with the new HD650; i've always found HD600 really really good with very little flaw (maybe more bass presence between 16-30 Hz).
I just hope HD650 has the same kind of colorless sound and not something 'boomy' and bright. I have some doubt...anyway i will buy it at a place i've got a 15 days trial.

Sep 21, 2003 at 11:06 PM Post #13 of 57
hehe how lucky, jazz
wink.gif

how would you say the midrange of the hd650 compares to the 600? some people seem to say that the hd600 has a small bump in the lower midrange and a slightly recessed upper midrange, so i was wondering if the hd650 exhibits these characteristics as well...

thanks
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2003 at 12:00 AM Post #15 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by kcits
how would you say the midrange of the hd650 compares to the 600? some people seem to say that the hd600 has a small bump in the lower midrange and a slightly recessed upper midrange, so i was wondering if the hd650 exhibits these characteristics as well...

Really hard to say. From the experienced lack of (let's say artificial!
biggrin.gif
) warmth and the smoothness and transparency I'm tempted to conclude that it could be the sign of a flatter, more neutral midrange. I just hope the somewhat forward bass is due to the recording or missing break-in (not too unlikely).

peacesign.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back