First Car
Aug 22, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #61 of 75
To date things a bit:

My first car (purchased brand new) was a 1974 red two-door Plymouth Duster with a slant six - great car!
(oh ya, forgot to mention - it only cost me $3200 in the day for this brand new shipped from the plant)
Currently have a 2004 Chevy Impala - love this car 
and a 1999 Subaru Legacy with only 50 k (my moms old car).

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #62 of 75
Yes I have driven Si's B4 cant remeber all of the years, but never owned one personally.  They are a lot quicker and much better engines as far as performance goes. The only reason I would ward you away from them is that it will be more costly for you on repairs and insurance.  if you are trying to keep costs low just go with base models.   Save your money on your first car because it will be less of a money pit and that is basically all that most people first cars are.  trust me the less this car costs you the easier it will be for you to replace it with something you would rather have later.

The Si are quicker than integra and prulude? Are you sure? How's the handling on them?

The insurance costs aren't really a problem but I agree that I shouldn't fully a fully loaded model as my first car.

Do you think I should get the integra with the vtech or it really isn't a big deal?

All your help is appreciated!

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #63 of 75
As an educated guess and based of Google results, the Integra GSR, Type R, and 2000 Civic Si (SiR here) should all be a bit quicker, if not the same, than the Prelude SH with the most HP. I know that GSRs are quick and the SiRs as well. Preludes are much heavier and not as amazing around the bends like the integra and civic. Preludes are known for their Drag Car modifications while Integras and Civics are tuned for the Track based on observation.

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #64 of 75
I would not recomend the integra simply because they stopped production of that model over 10 years ago so it will start getting costly to repair.  I havent done any research on it but I have owned integra's and accords and would put them at about the same level performancewise. the integras handle a little better but not much as the only real mechanicle difference between comparable models is that the integra weighs less.  I would really stick with car models that are still in production as it will only start costing more to repair them. Si's handle great because they have the premium suspension systems but a 10 year old suspension is not really going to make much of a difference as the wear an tear will break down the connections and loosen them defeating the purpose of them in the first place.

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #65 of 75
Well I am only looking to buy an integra or prelude with less than 200k on it. I've seen a few with this milage. It is my first car so I can't really afford anything newer or more expensive. Actually maybe an RSX, if you could tell me about it?

Aug 26, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #67 of 75
Quote:
I was also considering the Altima manual. But I was told it has enourmas body roll.

Fix it with a coilover! And bodyroll doesn't always mean a bad thing, but in this case it is an altima so you can expect the handling to be below satisfactory. But why the hassle, buy a car with stiff enough springs already? All the Acuras and Hondas you listed have very good handling already. If you can, try looking for a EP3 Civic SiR. That was my first choice, but instantly turned down the listings in my area. And I realized late that I actually need AWD. Luckily my car came with new H&R springs and KYB shocks. No bodyroll at all 
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Minus the Prelude. I would say handling is okay due its weight compared to the other Hondas. 

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #70 of 75
Quote:

Fix it with a coilover! And bodyroll doesn't always mean a bad thing, but in this case it is an altima so you can expect the handling to be below satisfactory. But why the hassle, buy a car with stiff enough springs already? All the Acuras and Hondas you listed have very good handling already. If you can, try looking for a EP3 Civic SiR. That was my first choice, but instantly turned down the listings in my area. And I realized late that I actually need AWD. Luckily my car came with new H&R springs and KYB shocks. No bodyroll at all 
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Minus the Prelude. I would say handling is okay due its weight compared to the other Hondas. 

I am not looking to mod my first car, or any of my cars for that matter. Just keep it stock and reliable.

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #71 of 75
What are your opinions on the Acura TSX?  I can get one in my price range but it would have over 200 thousand kilometers on it. But Acura;s are reliable sooo Im not too woried...They also take premium, but that subject is very controversial among Acura owners and Car enthusiasts alike. Some say they get better gas milage on regular than premium and vice versa.

Opinions?

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #72 of 75
Quote:
What are your opinions on the Acura TSX?  I can get one in my price range but it would have over 200 thousand kilometers on it. But Acura;s are reliable sooo Im not too woried...They also take premium, but that subject is very controversial among Acura owners and Car enthusiasts alike. Some say they get better gas milage on regular than premium and vice versa.

Opinions?

If the manufacture requires premium, you should be putting in premium. Unless they say otherwise (like Hyundai Genesis Coupe because both 87 and 91 are okay), you should be doing as they say. TSX is a good car, and the engine is good as well. Not many known problems with it. I personally don't know much about the TSX so I cannot contribute that much info with you

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #73 of 75
Well actually the Acura forums say that the manufacturer states the tsx can run on 87 but reccomends 91 for the best performance. However some say they receive better mpg on regular than premium. So why spend the extra do with no advantage, other than performance but that'd be very minimal difference.

I really do like the tsx but my budget could only fit in a 2004-2006 tsx with 180-200+ kilometers in it. I know the tsx is a really good car and and I've seen some for sale with over 300k! But I would be buying the manual model and I would worry some problems could come up?

Also so some posts above. Would the tsx insurance be cheaper than say a prelude or Acura gsr because it's 4 door?

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #74 of 75
Well actually the Acura forums say that the manufacturer states the tsx can run on 87 but reccomends 91 for the best performance. However some say they receive better mpg on regular than premium. So why spend the extra do with no advantage, other than performance but that'd be very minimal difference.
I really do like the tsx but my budget could only fit in a 2004-2006 tsx with 180-200+ kilometers in it. I know the tsx is a really good car and and I've seen some for sale with over 300k! But I would be buying the manual model and I would worry some problems could come up?
Also so some posts above. Would the tsx insurance be cheaper than say a prelude or Acura gsr because it's 4 door?

I would think so for the insurance, well at least in my province. Sedans are GENERALLY cheaper than coupes in insurance costs. Either way manual or auto, things will need to be fixed. Just because it's new and a "honda" doesn't mean it's worry-free at all. 200k kms! A lot of big repairs need to be done at that KMs

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #75 of 75
I am not up to date on latest values but I like VW's. I own two passats, one a 2000 with 260k miles and still going strong and very reliable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back