First Car
Jul 15, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #16 of 75
Keep in mind all the vehicles above that I am considering must have manual transmission. 

Hell yes, snowman knows best.  Manuals are nice for getting unstuck.  As an igloo dweller, you likely already know what I'm about to say, but one good tip to remember is that when turning/braking in the snow, push in the clutch (or switch to neutral, lol automatic owners) to keep the wheels from engine braking and using up some of your grip.  In a front wheel drive vehicle, it can understeer you into a ditch, with RWD it will oversteer you in a circle, and with AWD it will understeer and use your grip.

-2002-2004 Subaru Impreza (This would be hard to buy within my budget)

If you been in or driven in any of these please share your opinions. 

I don't know how much Imprezas are in Canada, but WRX Imprezas can be found for $7k on Craigslist.  A buddy of mine picked one up for that price a couple months ago (110,000 miles) and it's a fun car to drive.  It's got that lovable WRX characteristic of handling well when beat on, but turning in smoothly when driven normally (unlike the twitchier Evo, lolz).

Jul 16, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #17 of 75
Fixed
Quote:
That's wrong, They're two different engine
The GSR is a B18 vtec engine and the 03' Civic SI use a K18 K20 i-vtec engine. The displacement is the same but it's a whole different block/engine.
Even if you're talking about the older civic Si, they use a smaller 1.6 B16 vtec engine.

I know for sure a GSR and Si can beat an impreza any day. The Sti is a different story though.

Jul 16, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #18 of 75
Quote:
Fixed

Quote:

That's wrong, They're two different engine
The GSR is a B18 vtec engine and the 03' Civic SI use a K18 K20 i-vtec engine. The displacement is the same but it's a whole different block/engine.
Even if you're talking about the older civic Si, they use a smaller 1.6 B16 vtec engine.

I know for sure a GSR and Si can beat an impreza any day. The Sti is a different story though.

lawl yep.  There is no 1.8L K engine.

Also,  the Civic Si had a D16Y8 that made 127HP.  The Civic Type R (JDM only) came with a B16B, which was a destroked B18C5 that made 180HP.  The Civic SiR had a 160HP B16A.  The Integra GSR had a B18C making 180HP.  The only one of these cars that could compete with a WRX (225HP, runs mid 14s) in a drag race would be the JDM only Civic Type R. 

Jul 16, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #19 of 75
My first car was a 1990 Honda Civic. Funny part is until I bought it it worked fine. Then once the keys were turned over to me the damn transmission fails right up the street I lived :p. Funny as hell when you think of it. I was listening to "party like a rock star" and attempted to accelerate and instead heard a loud grinding noise and no movement. I had to slam it back into part to stop it from grinding rflmao. Now I have a Dodge intrepid ES fully loaded. My most reliable car to date. Only repairs are the ti-rod ends due to the ****ty roads here.

Jul 16, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #21 of 75
Quote:
lawl yep.  There is no 1.8L K engine.

Also,  the Civic Si had a D16Y8 that made 127HP. The D16Y8 are in the Civic EX not the SI. The 99 to 2000 Civic Si had the B16A The Civic Type R (JDM only) came with a B16B, which was a destroked B18C5 that made 180HP.  The Civic SiR had a 160HP B16A.  The Integra GSR had a B18C making 180HP.  The only one of these cars that could compete with a WRX (225HP, runs mid 14s) in a drag race would be the JDM only Civic Type R. You forgot the Integra Type-R

Jul 16, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #22 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by iZMXi 

Also,  the Civic Si had a D16Y8 that made 127HP. The D16Y8 are in the Civic EX not the SI. The 99 to 2000 Civic Si had the B16A The Civic Type R (JDM only) came with a B16B, which was a destroked B18C5 that made 180HP.  The Civic SiR had a 160HP B16A.  The Integra GSR had a B18C making 180HP.  The only one of these cars that could compete with a WRX (225HP, runs mid 14s) in a drag race would be the JDM only Civic Type R. 

Indeed they did, in 99-2000.  I thought you meant the older generation.  ^_^

Jul 16, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #23 of 75
Quote:
Indeed they did, in 99-2000.  I thought you meant the older generation.  ^_^

The D16Y8 was in the 96-2000 civic EX not just the 99-2000, and the older gen 92-95  (both Si and EX) had the D16z6 not Y8

You're making me remember stuff I haven't touched in more than 10 years 
angry_face.gif
 and going off topic is bad too.

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #24 of 75
I'll proably end up buying an acura integra gsr, prelude se or sh, or a honda civic si. All of course in manual. I don;t want to mod any much. Which would you buy?

And for my second car i'll buy a wrx sti, bmw 335xi or m3, or a mercedes c63 or an is-f.

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #25 of 75
Quote:
My first car was a 1990 Honda Civic. Funny part is until I bought it it worked fine. Then once the keys were turned over to me the damn transmission fails right up the street I lived :p. Funny as hell when you think of it. I was listening to "party like a rock star" and attempted to accelerate and instead heard a loud grinding noise and no movement. I had to slam it back into part to stop it from grinding rflmao. Now I have a Dodge intrepid ES fully loaded. My most reliable car to date. Only repairs are the ti-rod ends due to the ****ty roads here.

Well I have expirience with a dodge caravan. I mean they are reliable to an extent. Parts on dodge's brake earlier than the same part on say a toyota. They get you from point a to b. But not in the best or comfortable way. I think Dodge's are much better than GM cars as far as reliability goes. My neighbours own 4 GM cars, and every few months it seems they have loner vehicles for a few days.

Jul 17, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #28 of 75
Quote:
Well I have expirience with a dodge caravan. I mean they are reliable to an extent. Parts on dodge's brake earlier than the same part on say a toyota. They get you from point a to b. But not in the best or comfortable way. I think Dodge's are much better than GM cars as far as reliability goes. My neighbors own 4 GM cars, and every few months it seems they have loner vehicles for a few days.

Yeah when my tie-rod was going it was kinda scary to drive it. But it still got me from point a to b in limp mode until I got it fixed recently :). The thing with dodges though is if you don't maintain them they can still drive for quite a while and appear nothing is wrong with them until all of a sudden something goes without warning. So far though the necessary repairs to keep this car on the road have cost me $800.00 in about 2 years of usage. Those costs were all due to pot holes in the roads. Otherwise this car would have cost me near nil on necessary repairs (other than regular maintenance). But avoid the 2.7 like the plague. That is what gave this car a bad reputation. The 3.2 and 3.5s are excellent engines. They average 200,000+ miles as long as you maintain them.

Jul 17, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #29 of 75
Living in Canada I know exactly what you mean. Pot holes are everywhere! 

In reference to my last post just as a comparison. The A/C on my caravan needed a recharge after 3 years. And I have a 2004 camry, I am the original owener, it is 8 years old and the A/C is still cold!

Back to the topic. About the Honda Prelude some forums suggest the prelude is more of a girls car. Really?

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #30 of 75
Hahaha funny because I'm picking out a car for uni just now too. Considering my university is on a freaking mountain, I don't want a RWD because that would be either a crazy rally drive up/down, or completely suicidal. A FWD does justice much better, but nothing beats a car with power to all four wheels. I was thinking of a 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, but all the ones I called up locally have been sold *sigh*... But, I found the next best thing. I really want the 2000 Subaru Legacy GT (considering it has the same 2.5L powerplant as the Impreza 2.5RS) and you get 2 extra doors. Chances are, insurance is also cheaper on the legacy. Only problem with the EJ251 (the engine the Legacy GT and 2.5RS have), is it has a common head gasket problem that arises around 160,000km... And seeing how a lot of legacy GT classifieds have their kms at 160,000.... You know people are trying to get rid of the car before an expensive repair comes to play. Considering this fact, I'm not exactly afraid of fixing the Head gasket myself (or via mechanic if I mess up terribly) so I might as well take the risk. I have already looked at a lot of the cars you included myself and I have thought about almost all of them. Honestly speaking, I'm only 18 and I only need a car that will take me from point A to point B. Right now isn't the time to get the best 0-60 time and how fast I can corner that corner etc because lets be honest, we've all been there. I'm not sure about your priorities, but mine are 1. safe car 2. reliable car 3. a car I wont kill myself with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back