First Cans for a Beginner Audiophile
Apr 19, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the SR60i. No question about it. It's not just an inexpensive option; it's a terrific entry into audiophile sound. The open-air design reduces resonance, which allows the presentation to be incredibly clean, clear, crisp and detailed.

Until the advent of the sporty iGrado (which was originally tagged as an "SR40"), the SR60 was the hook to get people to try Team Grado, whose top cans sell for $1,700. The SR60 gives you the same design as the top Grados, but you're flying coach instead of first class. You get plastic shells and plastic grills, instead of wood or aluminum. You get standard wiring instead of UHPLC copper in the voice coil and cable. You get standard $10 "comfies" instead of $20 bowls or $50 jumbo pads.

At each step of the way, you're getting the public option rather than Dr. House, M.D. But the Grado "house sound" is still there, and it's very much different from the presentation you'd get from a pair of Sennheisers or Beyerdynamics. I've owned much "better" audiophile cans - such as the HD650 and the K701 - but I keep finding myself coming back to Grado. I've also owned better Grados - the SR80s, the SR325i's, the RS1's and the GS1000s - but there's something really cool about the SR60.

If you like the SR60, you can trade up or tweak up. Either way, you end up with improvements. I started with the SR80 and jumped to the 325i, before hitting the RS1 and the GS1000 - all within a period of about eight months. I later went back to the SR60 and started tweaking it to bring it closer to the big boys. I was surprised at what could be done, even with an SR60 and even by a klutz like myself.

Just give it a try. You never know where the road will take you.

IMO Grados are amazing if you use them for just home listening, meaning theese are not good for work or travel because they leak a lot of sound. I do though think like Ssavage said the Audio Technica M50's are great headphones for the money, they work for personal listening and also as studio headphones. For $110 you will most likely like the M50's.

Apr 19, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #18 of 29
As a newbie to this arena as well i chose Denon AH-D1001 a couple months ago. Read the reviews of both ATH-M50 and Denon. They are similar, but the M50 is a little more expensive. You can get the Denon refurbed for $70 or its OEM clone Creative Aurvana Live for $60 new.

I got Denon because reviews indicated it is a little more comfortable than the M50 and it was cheaper. After trying my Denon's my wife wanted her own pair. She has used the crappy ear buds that come with ipods for years. No longer, the Denon refurbs were out of stock, so i got the Creative's for her. Sound the same, earcups are little bigger/softer with a smaller opening for the ear.

Prior to this I had always used IEM's for portability and isolation. My last IEM were the monster turbines, which were very nice but painful on slow work days when i could listen to music most of the day. The cable was starting to go as well. The Denon's are so comfortable i can listen all day and the isolation is plenty... I would say a good balance for office environment and no leakage, so others in the cube farm won't hear.

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #20 of 29
I don't think you'll be disappointed. They're favored by many for a reason.

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #23 of 29
All this M50 talk, might look into them sometime. Hmm.

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by soldiersinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eBay My World - brianf

Get them from proaudio. You can make an offer. I offered $88 and he accepted, try $87, lol. For $87 shipped, they are awesome.

Thank You! I didn't think I could get it for that cheap. That was one of my major dilemmas when deciding whether to buy them or not. I've always been pretty skeptical about shopping on sites like ebay or craigslist, but I suppose there's a first time for everything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olimoronio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
??? What RadioShack cans have you been using? I've been really pleased recently with their Auvio line.

Haha, I'm not going to lie I have no idea. I did no research at all when I bought it I just went in and grabbed it off the shelves. They're black closed headphones. They say RadioShack on the side but nothing more. There's a half sphere cuff thing on each side that you turn for the volume. The actual earpieces don't rotate more than 30 degrees. Plastic and Pleather.

I'm definitely still interested in trying out a Grado though. I'm sure I'll be back here asking questions again in no time.

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by soldiersinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eBay My World - brianf

Get them from proaudio. You can make an offer. I offered $88 and he accepted, try $87, lol. For $87 shipped, they are awesome.

From what I understand, they've sold for as low as $85 on Amazon. If they've ever gone lower than that it would be unbelievable.

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Joboto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All this M50 talk, might look into them sometime. Hmm.

I'm sure they'll sound VERY different from your AD900s. I had the AD700s, and they were clearer, and brighter than the M50s. I prefer the funner sound of the M50s, but I'm not so sure audiophiles will.

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #27 of 29
Out of those three I would go for the SR60i, but would second the call above to consider the ATH-M50 as they are more neutral and less likely to dispoint.

Grados are a "love or hate" thing. I love them personally, others think they are terrible.

The ATH-M50 is a safe bet, great value and very versatile for home or portable use.

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #28 of 29
Contrary to opinions above, in my experience the SR60 have loads of bass, if you use them with stock comfies rather than putting bowls on them. Flats will give them even bigger bass.

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #29 of 29
SR60.. Bass ??
Ad700 have more bass than SR60..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back