First Cans for a Beginner Audiophile
Apr 18, 2010 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Sonata Riot

New Head-Fier
I've been looking to buy a pair of headphones for $50-$100. I seem to come across the Grado SR-60i, Sennheiser HD280Pros, as well as the Sony MDR-V6 pretty often. I was looking into these separately into more detail and am having a hell of a time trying to decide which to go for.

The headphones I want would be for everyday usage. I'm tried of burning through cheap ear buds that don't sound great, break easily, and hurt my ears. I usually play music on my computer, iPod, and occasionally like to hook my headphones up to my amp when I play my bass. I've been using some crap radioshack headphones with my amp that sound mediocre at best and hurt like hell after an hour or two of having them on.

In order of preference, I would like:
1-Sound Quality
2-Durability
3-Isolation
4-Comfort
5-Portability

Some of my concerns after reading reviews...
Grado SR-60i's:
-Is the sound leaking in really that noticeable?
-Is it as flimsy as some of the reviews claim?

Sennheiser HD280Pro:
-Does the sound quality lack noticeably compared to the Grado?
-Is it really that tight and uncomfortable?

Sony MDR-V6:
-Seems to be the middle ground between HD280Pro and SR-60is.
-Is it really worth it to purchase something that doesn't sound as nice as one or doesn't provide the isolation of the other?

If there are any other headphones that you would recommend please feel free to let me know. Thank You.

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 29
I think the grados are great, desroy senns in sq but everyone can hear what you are listening to. I suggest AT athm50s

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 29
Welcome to Head-Fi.

Open cans will leak a lot. I have a pair of HD280's and they were a good first can. They are a bit uncomfortable though. They are also lacking in the bass department but can be modded for more. The isolation on the 280's is incredible.
I'd also look at the Audio Technica M50 as it's been pretty popular around here and has very positive reviews.
What type of music do you listen to?

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 29
+1 on the closed cans. If you do not want them to leak, they need to be closed.

As a side note, I would suggest you investigate the AKG closed models in that range. I have not heard them, but thought I would just give you another model that is out there.

Also, do check out the AT phone. Is has been highly praised.

Sorry I cannot help more,
Nkk

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #5 of 29
@op
You said that you'll use the headphones both at your computer and with your ipod. So, to clarify, are you looking for a set of fullsize cans that can double as portables if needed. Or are you looking for a set of portables that can be used as fullsize cans when needed?

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 29
Get the SR60i. No question about it. It's not just an inexpensive option; it's a terrific entry into audiophile sound. The open-air design reduces resonance, which allows the presentation to be incredibly clean, clear, crisp and detailed.

Until the advent of the sporty iGrado (which was originally tagged as an "SR40"), the SR60 was the hook to get people to try Team Grado, whose top cans sell for $1,700. The SR60 gives you the same design as the top Grados, but you're flying coach instead of first class. You get plastic shells and plastic grills, instead of wood or aluminum. You get standard wiring instead of UHPLC copper in the voice coil and cable. You get standard $10 "comfies" instead of $20 bowls or $50 jumbo pads.

At each step of the way, you're getting the public option rather than Dr. House, M.D. But the Grado "house sound" is still there, and it's very much different from the presentation you'd get from a pair of Sennheisers or Beyerdynamics. I've owned much "better" audiophile cans - such as the HD650 and the K701 - but I keep finding myself coming back to Grado. I've also owned better Grados - the SR80s, the SR325i's, the RS1's and the GS1000s - but there's something really cool about the SR60.

If you like the SR60, you can trade up or tweak up. Either way, you end up with improvements. I started with the SR80 and jumped to the 325i, before hitting the RS1 and the GS1000 - all within a period of about eight months. I later went back to the SR60 and started tweaking it to bring it closer to the big boys. I was surprised at what could be done, even with an SR60 and even by a klutz like myself.

Just give it a try. You never know where the road will take you.

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by NapalmK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Head-Fi.

Open cans will leak a lot. I have a pair of HD280's and they were a good first can. They are a bit uncomfortable though. They are also lacking in the bass department but can be modded for more. The isolation on the 280's is incredible.
I'd also look at the Audio Technica M50 as it's been pretty popular around here and has very positive reviews.
What type of music do you listen to?

I listen to a lot of Indie, Acoustic, and Punk. Though I tend to pick up some Hip-Hop, Rock, Techno/Electronica, and Classical when I have that urge to listen to it. I'll be sure to check those out. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@op
You said that you'll use the headphones both at your computer and with your ipod. So, to clarify, are you looking for a set of fullsize cans that can double as portables if needed. Or are you looking for a set of portables that can be used as fullsize cans when needed?

I think I would prefer fullsize that can double as portables. Personally I don't find carrying around headphones too much of a hassle. Though I'm curious what the difference is between portable doubling as a fullsize and vice versa. Thanks again.

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 29
A fullsize model will generally sound better than a portable at the same price. Not too many full-size models make too good 'portables' though :p I'll throw in the good old portable Audio-Technica ES7 to give another option.

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Sony MDR-V6:
-Seems to be the middle ground between HD280Pro and SR-60is.
-Is it really worth it to purchase something that doesn't sound as nice as one or doesn't provide the isolation of the other?

The V6 provides decent isolation and great sq too providing you feed them decent records (meaning 320kbps mp3 and FLAC). If you really want a taste of what neutral headphones are like, go for it. It doesn't need an amp so will save you loads of money. I'm getting some new phones coming in but don't see myself parting my V6 anytime soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

If portability matters, you might want to consider the Denon D1001, they have received a lot of positive review on this forum. They should be more comfy than the HD280 and the V6 (unless you use the DT250 pads)

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #12 of 29
I own both the 280 and Grado Alessandro MS-1 (suppose to be similar to the 125's). The sound between the two cans is completely different and it really depends on my use which one I prefer. The 280 are sealed and I mean sealed. More than once did I get startled because somebody is coming up behind me and could not hear a thing. I use them primarily with my computer for gaming or to watch movies.The sound is more bass heavy, less detailed, but very warm. I do not consider them especially uncompfortable since the big cushions fit nicely around my ears. They are also somewhat foldable but bigger thay the grados On the other hand the grado's are a treat when it comes to clearity and detail. They fit more loose but not to the point of falling off. The only drawback that I find with the grado's is that in order to create a good bass I have to turn up the volume to the point that the highs start to hurt my ears. And yes they are very open.
What can I say, I got suck into the head-fi world and now ordered some K701
atsmile.gif

Good Luck! Let me know if you have any further questions

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonata Riot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I would prefer fullsize that can double as portables. Personally I don't find carrying around headphones too much of a hassle. Though I'm curious what the difference is between portable doubling as a fullsize and vice versa. Thanks again.

I would recommend the JVC HA-m750. They are more of a portable set of cans than fullsize, but the sound quality is very good in terms of portables. Moreover, they are quite sturdy and unlikely to be damaged when you move them around. They also have very good noise attenuation (isolation) relative to other portables. And they are quite cheap, with a street price of ~$45.

In point of fact, you could buy them as a set of portables, and still be mostly within your budget to get yourself a set of Grado SR60s. Especially if you're willing to get the SR60s used. Two different headphones for different environments, plus the different sound signatures will keep you from getting bored.

As for addressing the difference b/w portables and fullsize headphones...basically, portables sacrifice some sound quality for portability (weight, size, etc) and the ability to be played without requiring an amplifier. (Thankfully the sr60s are a set of fullsize cans that also don't require an amplifier)

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #14 of 29
The answer is very easy...Grado SR60.
I highly recommend this very cheap but very good sound quality for a beginner audiophile.

Welcome to Audiophile Nirvana!

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonata Riot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sennheiser HD280Pro:
-Is it really that tight and uncomfortable?

Yes. They were the most painful headphones I have ever worn.

ATH-M50s, all the way. They are great all-rounders, comfy as heck, and very isolating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back