First Blu-Ray record released!
May 30, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #5 of 23
I've got to ask, what are we going to use for replay?
There's virtually nothing in the high end arena capable of dealing with a HDMI signal, and my understanding of the DACs built into existing BD players is that most are "not too hot".
I wouldn't be surprised if a mid-range CDP could still outperform a BD player using this disk.

May 30, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't Nine Inch Nails claim that crown with 'Ghosts'? I got a Blu Ray disc with my order...

i think that Divermenti is a pure music release, while NiN's Ghost has an accompanying slideshow... am i right?

May 30, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Sukebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's virtually nothing in the high end arena capable of dealing with a HDMI signal, and my understanding of the DACs built into existing BD players is that most are "not too hot".
I wouldn't be surprised if a mid-range CDP could still outperform a BD player using this disk.

I don't pretend to be very knowledgeable on the subject but I would think that there are some pretty decent receivers available capable of HDMI input. As far as the players themselves, I'm sure the main focus is on picture quality but some of the higher end players might suffice.

Of course, if and when Blu-Ray does become mainstream I think the average person will still view it primarily for video only. Given today's current environment and the shift away from physical media for music, I feel Blu-Ray audio will be a niche product if it is able to gain a foothold at all. And do we really expect the average person to have the equipment (i.e. speakers, headphones) to take advantage of Blu-Ray audio. Other than the possible advantage of surround sound, how much better will it sound than regular CDs on a standard home theater set up?

May 30, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #9 of 23
I'm not all that interested in the format. Ask me in a couple of years...

May 30, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Sukebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The PS3 actually has optical out, so you don't really need to use HDMI I wouldn't think. As for PC drives, they would just go through the normal USB/Optical/SPDIF route, right?

May 30, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by trinkus79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PS3 actually has optical out, so you don't really need to use HDMI I wouldn't think. As for PC drives, they would just go through the normal USB/Optical/SPDIF route, right?

Optical out isn't capable of the bandwidth. Only HDMI and analog outs are, hence his worries are real.

Since I only have consumer level in this area (a Yamaha RX-V 1700), and that and an Onkyo 505 is all I have tested, I am quite happy about it. I use it for SACD using the PS3 as a source. So far, Vinyl still blows me away more than SACD and direct comparisons have proven so with the same recordings in both formats with such equipment, but I am glad this is finally happening.

May 30, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #12 of 23
This is really bad news. If these BR audio discs are capable of resolution beyond the playback capabilities of finest high-end equipment available, it will leave the vinyl guys with no inherent superiority to hold on to...
smily_headphones1.gif

Tim

May 30, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #13 of 23
This is great news!
May be what I need to shell out for a Blu-ray player...

May 31, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #14 of 23
Strange disc. When you have 5.1 LPCM, why include dolby encoded tracks?
For me, for now, stereo is enough.

May 31, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #15 of 23
TOSlink originally specified 24/96, but a revision allowed it to hit the 24/192 mark, which is as high as the new lossless formats have gone so far (excluding DSD, which is usually converted to 24/88.2 PCM in most receivers anyway). The real "problem" with S/PDIF transmission is that the stream can easily be copied, hence the need for a protected solution like HDMI or a proprietary Firewire interface.

I wonder if the 2.0 PCM stream can be played back over S/PDIF without downsampling. This was the case for some DVD-Audio discs where the stereo layer was not encoded with MLP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back