First Audiophile Headphones (under $100): Grado SR60i Best Choice?
Apr 20, 2013 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jaycee1

100+ Head-Fier
I've done a ton of research, reading lots of reviews here, and on amazon. I already have a decent set of headphones: the jvc harx 700. I like them, but I don't 'love' them. 

They're fairly close to neutral, with a bit of extra bass, and a little bit of treble roll off. 

I'd like a second set of headphones which offer a bit more excitement and emotional involvement. I'm considering the grado sr60i's. Even with a pair of s cushions, the price is still south of $100, which is important to me. 

Based on the reviews, I'm sure I'll be getting great sound quality. However, I'm a bit concerned about comfort and the ability to use these for longer listening sessions. Will the s cushions be sufficient to allow me to listen for longer sessions?

Also, some reviewers complain that the sound can be fatiguing. I'm hoping that this criticism is limited to:

a. certain types of recordings only: ie sources which are very treble heavy

b. listening sessions at high volume.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Apr 20, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 11
Grado's can be bright to many folks, but with flat or comfy pads it is smoother . . . some people merely consider them crisp or lively.

Once the pads are broken in (or washed for softness) Grado's can be pretty comfortable, but bending the headband outward to loosen them increases comfort.
But this can cause them to fly off your head if you get too carried away enjoying the music
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #3 of 11
What if I avoid the headband altogether, by going with igrado? These use the same drivers so they should sound almost identical? I would strongly prefer a traditional headband, however. 

The grado sr60i seems to be the best value around, and are universally praised. I was under the impression that the "i" revision had mellowed out the sound signature considerably. However, it seems like I am being cautioned that the grado's still have a bit too much in the high frequency range, at least for some listeners. 

Aside from igrado, what are my alternatives for a similar sounding headphone, which has a bit less high frequency emphasis?

Apr 21, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #4 of 11
SR60i is a great bang for your buck, my son just snagged a pair last week and I smiled immediately after putting them on and listening to some AC/DC

Great headphones at that price IMO.

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Also, some reviewers complain that the sound can be fatiguing. I'm hoping that this criticism is limited to:

a. certain types of recordings only: ie sources which are very treble heavy

b. listening sessions at high volume.

This is almost correct. Graods DO really shine at low volumes - it's like they've got a built in 'loudness' switch like on old receiver amps that boost the treble and bass for low volume listening.
Listening at moderate volumes can get fatiguing on Grados - listening at loud volume is just masochism. 

Others have mentioned that the elder members of our community prefer the Grado sound because of the inevitable loss of high frequency hearing over the years. A lot of the younger folk don't appreciate the extra treble. 

Also every now and then there are recordings that have too much treble for any headphone, not just Grado. 

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
This is almost correct. Graods DO really shine at low volumes - it's like they've got a built in 'loudness' switch like on old receiver amps that boost the treble and bass for low volume listening.
Listening at moderate volumes can get fatiguing on Grados - listening at loud volume is just masochism. 

Others have mentioned that the elder members of our community prefer the Grado sound because of the inevitable loss of high frequency hearing over the years. A lot of the younger folk don't appreciate the extra treble. 

Also every now and then there are recordings that have too much treble for any headphone, not just Grado. 

The only problem is when listening to metal and the temptation to turn the volume up is just too much.
smily_headphones1.gif
Otherwise I wholeheartedly agree!

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #7 of 11
The SR60i come with the S cush. You will want to try the L cush pads for better bass response, a little more detail from the mids and highs, and better comfort. To soften them up, wash them gently with mild hand soap and water and let them dry out overnight.

I think it's the tendency to want to run the headphones as loud as the amp will go without distorting (or even with mild distortion) which is what makes them unappealing to some of the younger generation; they can be fatiguing at high volumes. I agree that the Grados sound excellent at more moderate listening volumes. That's one thing that's great about them.

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
I think it's the tendency to want to run the headphones as loud as the amp will go without distorting (or even with mild distortion) which is what makes them unappealing to some of the younger generation;

Maybe that's why kids never listen to their elders... they've all got hearing loss.

But I know what you mean. Over a decade ago I also enjoyed an unhealthy dose of bass.

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

So, listening to grado's (the sr60i in particular) at low volume is non fatiguing, correct? 

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #10 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back