first amp with $1000 budget for it
Jan 14, 2008 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

b0ris84

Head-Fier
I've never owned an amp before and a noob when it comes to head-fi. I want to invest up to 1000 to listen to some music at home. I currently have the shure se530 headphones and love them. I do plan to buy a huge set of cans but i would like to get the amp first because i already have the shures. Now at first i was considering a dac because most of the music that i will be listening at home will be from my computer but in case i take the amp somewhere or do not want to sit at my computer i would like to be able to connect my mp3 player to the amp and listen away. Thank you for your help.

Jan 14, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #2 of 22
I recommend that you get a professional builder to make a ß22. This amp will far outperform any comparably-priced commercial amps, and arguably outperforms ANY commercial amps.
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 22
okay i'm really liking that reply. Now where can i find a professional builder. I'm in NY and i know of a place in midtown where there are like 4 sam ash stores next to each other so now i'm going to have to go in and ask , but do you know of any websites or other locations where i can definitely do this?

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 22
Jan 14, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend that you get a professional builder to make a ß22. This amp will far outperform any comparably-priced commercial amps, and arguably outperforms ANY commercial amps.
wink.gif

A single-ended Beta 22 for $1K is probably pushing it, as Rockhopper sells theirs for $1150 which is probably very close to the cost of parts.

Also I don't think it's a good idea to max out a budget on just an amp. That said, the HeadAmp Pico is versatile enough to work from a computer or an MP3 player, and is small enough to take anywhere.

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 22
Search/look for Singlepower Extreme, Corda Opera, Woo Audio 2 and HeadAmp GS-1. After reading those threads, you should have enough information and a couple of new candidates.

Jan 14, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A single-ended Beta 22 for $1K is probably pushing it, as Rockhopper sells theirs for $1150 which is probably very close to the cost of parts.

Also I don't think it's a good idea to max out a budget on just an amp.

I may be mistaken, but the title of the thread implies that the $1000 budget is for the amp, and not the whole setup.

Anyhow, I still stand by my recommendation. Even if you have to spend a bit more than your budget, you can be assured that you will NEVER fear that your amp is the weak link in your chain. The ß22 and Dynahi are estimated to be superior to any commercial offering at any price.

If the high price tag is a turn-off, you could have a CK²III, M³, SOHA (or SOHA+JISBOS), Dyanlo, Dynahi etc...built for you.

Also, I don't think a single-ended ß22 is anywhere near $1000 in parts. I'm building an active-ground version and I don't think I've even hit $500.

Jan 14, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #11 of 22
Sometimes that penny makes the world of difference in SQ and worth spending.

You can look at these Non-DAC ones. Great amps.

Emmeline HR-2 Headphone Amp - Ray Samuels Audio - $875 = SolidState

Emmeline II The Raptor - Ray Samuels Audio - $1175 = Tube

HeadAmp - Audio Electronics (GS-1 Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp) - $749 = SS

HeadAmp - Audio Electronics (Gilmore Lite Headphone Amp) - $349.00

With DAC - Price is with shipping included worldwide.

Meier Audio - $1220 = SS

Meier Audio - $570 = SS

This is what I am getting in the mail - $350 Shipped!

Viewing a thread - Little Dot MK V Dual-Mono Headphone Amplifier!

Enjoy

Jan 15, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #12 of 22
There is only one way to really know what to buy. Take your time and listen to as many amps as possible. Go to a head-fi meeting, talk to people, and listen to as many models as possible. Be sure to take a small representative sample of the types of music that you listen to.

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #13 of 22
I agree with zipdisk. I've been holding out on buying an amp for over a year now, because I've nowhere to listen to any. I wanna go to a meet sooo bad.

...Connecticut meet, anyone?

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #14 of 22
I'm thinking like ASR (don't blow your wad right now on just an amp) but consider something like an Mini^3, Headsix or Minibox E+ for now to drive your 530's.

Buy your big cans and the best amp for them later. (most money in the bank until then builds on interest:wink: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back