first amp with $1000 budget for it
Jan 16, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #16 of 22
how i wish i have that much money burning a hole in my pocket coz i really need a new amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Getting a $1000 amp before headphones seems a bit backwards to me...

x2

You'll be happier in the end if you think about building a setup where all the components complement each other, not buying 'the best' individual components for a given amount of money as cumulative separate decisions. At the end of the day you listen to the music, not the amp, and I don't think there is any 'best amp for $1000' that will work optimally for every possible setup.

In general, in my experience anyways, the headphones make the most difference to the overall sound, so start by going to meets, or demoing, or buying and selling, some different 'big' headphones to get a flavour of each, and thus to find out which you want to build the rest of your setup around. You can then make more informed decisions about the source, amp, and cables (if you're into that) that will best showcase the abilities of your headphones.

Jan 16, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Getting a $1000 amp before headphones seems a bit backwards to me...

I think I agree with this, when I give it more thought. Besides the elusive 'audio synergy' that some combinations have, the impedance of your reference headphones could point you in the direction of the right amp. If your reference cans are 30Ω ATs, for example, you probably won't need an amp with huge voltage swing, and can spend the money you would have spent on power on something else (additional features, better topology, tubes, etc). On the other hand, if it's a 600Ω AKG, you'll need to put your money into voltage swing.

Nice to see another Head-Fi'er in Fairfield County as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #20 of 22
The OP has HD555 and SE530...

I think the OP will be very disappointed with results of a $1000 amp using the current setup.

I concur that you need new headphones first. Beyond cans, maybe a good source (balanced?). M902, DA10, DAC1, Opus, Etc.

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #21 of 22
I got my Headroom Balanced Desktop with DAC for $1200. It retails for a little more, but it has to be one of the most versatile and best bargains of the headfi world.... oh yeah, did I mention it's balanced?

I have been here for a year and a half and with all that goes on and all the hype, I never really gave Headroom's amps much consideration- I'm glad I happened upon it.

However, as stated above- much depends on your headphone of choice.

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to see another Head-Fi'er in Fairfield County as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

CT MEET >
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back