First Amp for my new 'phones
Nov 17, 2008 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

hdlovar

New Head-Fier
Alright, I've recently ordered a pair of hd580's from a fellow head-fi'er and after much browsing of the forums I know I really need to get at least a decent amp (until I can afford a great amp
tongue.gif
) so I can get the most out of 'em.

For now all I'll have is a small mixamp that was intended for use with video games, the :: Astro Gaming :: Product Detail :: A40 MixAmp™ ::, which I chose since it has the ability to moderate my fellow player's voices and has a mic input. I doubt this will really do these headphones justice for when I just wanna kick back and listen to music though.

So I'm wondering a few things. I realize I pretty much need a dedicated amp for my desktop for when I want to listen to music from my computer but do I also need one of these DAC things? (keep in mind I'm not a complete audiophile, not yet at least) If I do need one what's a good one to have? (I guess what's a good one to start with and what is an ideal DAC?)

What's a good amp to start with? I've seen a lot about the LRD amps and I read something about the Woo, but the woo seems like it's kinda up there in the stratosphere as far as amps go... I'm just looking for something to start with.

And then I'm wondering if maybe that little a40 mixamp will work as a portable amp that i could hook into an ipod for when I'm out and about, or am I going to have to get the iMod + something else?

I'm really overwhelmed right now and just looking for some direction.

Thanks for taking the time to read my huge wall of text
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 8
portable or desktop? desktop I would check out the little dot amps, Woo audio has some resonable amps, and darkvoice. RSA (Ray Samuales Auido) has some really good portable amps and headphone.com is another good source. Really you need to find a meet and just lisen to different amps and headphones for a while before you start to relize what you like.

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 8
Look around the For Sale Forum for a good deal on a used amp. Your dollar will get you 20%-50% more amp than it would buying new. Last time I looked, there were several very good deals in there. If something catches your eye, you should be able to find reviews and opinions of it with Senns here.

I don't know much about the portable gear. I decided awhile back that I'd be better off going portable with just IEMs and the iPod. I didn't want to lug around a thick cable, another box, and full-sized open headphones that wouldn't sound good on the street because they're open. I couldn't see the point, though a lot of people will disagree.

An iMod, cable and portable amp can run you $500-$1000 or more. $1000 will get you a very, very good desktop amp in the For Sale Forum. Something that's close to the top end, will last a lifetime and will never accidentally slip out of your pocket. Also, I've never heard a portable that can drive a pair of Senns anywhere near as well as even the cheapest desktop amp. Senns need more power than a 9V can deliver.

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 8
Alright I'll look around for some IEMs for my portable since I want it to actually be portable, otherwise this setup is probably going to just be for a desktop that's sitting at home. But I'll probably be using it with the laptop that I have in my possession for a little while... My ideal setup which I should have complete after christmas will be a non-moving desktop computer. So... I dunna depending on how big a desktop amp can get (I really have no idea what the size of these things are) I may be willing to haul it around with my laptop. But I'd prefer quality over mobility since the latter is really just for convenience until I finish my desktop, then it won't matter and I'll probably have some IEMs.

I'll definitely be looking at used amps and I'll see what I can find in the way of the few amps that were mentioned. Maybe I'll try to find a meet and just go ahead and audition a few of em.

As far as desktop amps go is there any particular amp that works pretty well with the 580s or maybe a lot of desktop amps are on par with one another?

Also any opinions as to whether or not that smaller amp that I posted earlier would work as a portable one or do you guys think it's pretty much worthless to use for music?

Again, thanks for reading all this and helping out so much.

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #8 of 8
I have a Little Dot MKIII along with Senn 600's. To me it is a great pair, the MKIII make my 600's sing.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back