First AKG K701 impressions.
Jan 22, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #346 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
I'm also looking for similar things, except that I find the DT880 bass just "perfect" in good recordings (maybe I want it a very little bit more present)

Hope my long-waiting-back-ordered K701 (paired with a tube amp) will give me this.
smily_headphones1.gif

ciao
Andrew

I agree with you : bass response is quite enough. However I'd like bass to be slightly more present (but just slightly, as you underlined...).

But in spite of that I think that the DT880 lacks impact with some kind of music (for example listening to Morcheeba - trip-hop). Bass could be "sharper", more precise, tighter...

Fred

Jan 22, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #347 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by webzeb
I agree with you : bass response is quite enough. However I'd like bass to be slightly more present (but just slightly...).

But in spite of that I think that the DT880 lacks impact with some kind of music (for example listening to Morcheeba - trip-hop). Bass could be "sharper", more precise, tighter...

Fred

We agree.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's me that prefer a slightly more rounded bass than tighter, so DT880s bass is just "perfect" for me (except for that 0.5 dB I'd put in the fr if I could).
The HD650 bass is more present and probably "sharper" that the one of the DT880 (but also slightly mid-bass humped in comparison), but I remeber I didn't like that bass as I like the one of the DT880.
A matter of taste... different headphone for different people (it's the good thing of this "hobby" and this forum).
smily_headphones1.gif

bye
Andrew

Jan 22, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #349 of 431
I have had my used and well burnt in 701's for a week now. I remain very impressed but I have noticed a couple characteristics of the headphone I dont hear anyone else mentioning. I find the 701 sounds better at low to moderate volume myself. I disagree these need higher volume. There is only so much bass impact you are going to get out of these headphones. The senn 600/ cardas at any matched volume level has more bass quantity and bass impact. I find if I raise the volume seeking bass like my senn 600/ cardas ..... eventually ..... the treble gets hard and seems to lose its refinement. Certain S and T sounds become slightly emphasized just short of becoming sibilant.

Because I am new to these headphones and had no volume referance I have run the volume to high. The general loss of refinement and treble hardness is the sure sign the volume is to high. These headphones need plenty of current and I have also noticed that my tube amps give the best sound using the more powerful output tubes like the 5687 and 6bl7/6bx7gt's.

When I pulled out my senn 600's and did some various level matched comparisons I found the 701 outperformed the senn 600 at lower volumes. The 600 sounded slow, dull and rolled off in comparison to the 701 at low volume. The 701 seemed slightly lacking in bass impact .... but the 701's maintain their clarity, speed and overall balance at low volume. Raising the volume slightly made the senns come alive and the increased volume improved the 701's bass impact. The sound with either headphone was best at this low to moderate volume level. At this point, if you continue to raise the volume the 701 begins to exhibit the above mentioned sound quality loses and the senn developes a distinct upper bass overhang/ coloration ..... to my ears.

Which do I like better? I like them about equally so far. The senns sound more bassy, powerful and have more midrange body. Surprisingly, I find the senns treble resolution of low level detail seems better despite the more recessed character of the 600's treble. The 701's are more neutral, treble extended and clean sounding. The 701's sound faster and livlier but never get harsh unless you overdo the volume. The 701's have a less noticeable character and no one frequency seems to stand out at appropriate volumes. Finally, the 701's have good bass and dynamics and are not lacking bass IMO. The 701's are better balanced top to bottom .... especially at low volume like I mentioned. But if you truely favor a richer sounding presentation the 701's are probably not for you. Turning up the volume to get more bass and body only results in a lose of refinement and an increased edge in the treble with the 701's.

Both of these headphones love tubes but the 701 is decidely harder to drive. I am going to get a SS amp soon and see how the 701 fares with a high current power source. My tube amps keep the 701's tonality rich enough to be satisfying and also keep the treble in balance at anything short of .... to loud. I am curious if a SS amp will sound to thin or cause any treble emphasis with the 701 ..... and what more current drive will add to the bass presentation.

I certainly like this headphone better than the other non-senn contenders like the dt880, sa5000 and RS-1. I think I will very likely be able to enjoy the 701's somewhat similar but more neutral presentation as much as my senns long term.

Jan 22, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #350 of 431
Quote:

We agree.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's me that prefer a slightly more rounded bass than tighter, so DT880s bass is just "perfect" for me (except for that 0.5 dB I'd put in the fr if I could).
The HD650 bass is more present and probably "sharper" that the one of the DT880 (but also slightly mid-bass humped in comparison), but I remeber I didn't like that bass as I like the one of the DT880.
A matter of taste... different headphone for different people (it's the good thing of this "hobby" and this forum).
smily_headphones1.gif

bye
Andrew

I totally agree with that !
wink.gif

For that matter I try (with clumsiness :p ) to describe exactly what I'm looking for.

Concerning the Sennheiser I never listen to the HD650 but I tried my father's HD600 : bass - and most of all "low mid-range" - were really more present than with the DT880 (which gives them more "impact"...but not what I'm looking for).
However bass didn't seem to be tighter : on the contrary I found they were quite imprecise...
confused.gif

Fred

Jan 22, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #351 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I have had my used and well burnt in 701's for a week now. I remain very impressed but I have noticed a couple characteristics of the headphone I dont hear anyone else mentioning. I find the 701 sounds better at low to moderate volume myself. I disagree these need higher volume. There is only so much bass impact you are going to get out of these headphones. The senn 600/ cardas at any matched volume level has more bass quantity and bass impact. I find if I raise the volume seeking bass like my senn 600/ cardas ..... eventually ..... the treble gets hard and seems to lose its refinement. Certain S and T sounds become slightly emphasized just short of becoming sibilant.

Because I am new to these headphones and had no volume referance I have run the volume to high. The general loss of refinement and treble hardness is the sure sign the volume is to high. These headphones need plenty of current and I have also noticed that my tube amps give the best sound using the more powerful output tubes like the 5687 and 6bl7/6bx7gt's.

When I pulled out my senn 600's and did some various level matched comparisons I found the 701 outperformed the senn 600 at lower volumes. The 600 sounded slow, dull and rolled off in comparison to the 701 at low volume. The 701 seemed slightly lacking in bass impact .... but the 701's maintain their clarity, speed and overall balance at low volume. Raising the volume slightly made the senns come alive and the increased volume improved the 701's bass impact. The sound with either headphone was best at this low to moderate volume level. At this point, if you continue to raise the volume the 701 begins to exhibit the above mentioned sound quality loses and the senn developes a distinct upper bass overhang/ coloration ..... to my ears.

Which do I like better? I like them about equally so far. The senns sound more bassy, powerful and have more midrange body. Surprisingly, I find the senns treble resolution of low level detail seems better despite the more recessed character of the 600's treble. The 701's are more neutral, treble extended and clean sounding. The 701's sound faster and livlier but never get harsh unless you overdo the volume. The 701's have a less noticeable character and no one frequency seems to stand out at appropriate volumes. Finally, the 701's have good bass and dynamics and are not lacking bass IMO. The 701's are better balanced top to bottom .... especially at low volume like I mentioned. But if you truely favor a richer sounding presentation the 701's are probably not for you. Turning up the volume to get more bass and body only results in a lose of refinement and an increased edge in the treble with the 701's.

Both of these headphones love tubes but the 701 is decidely harder to drive. I am going to get a SS amp soon and see how the 701 fares with a high current power source. My tube amps keep the 701's tonality rich enough to be satisfying and also keep the treble in balance at anything short of .... to loud. I am curious if a SS amp will sound to thin or cause any treble emphasis with the 701 ..... and what more current drive will add to the bass presentation.

I certainly like this headphone better than the other non-senn contenders like the dt880, sa5000 and RS-1. I think I will very likely be able to enjoy the 701's somewhat similar but more neutral presentation as much as my senns long term.

AGREE!

When I spoken about the hi volume for better result of the K 701 I was using the SS PS Audio GCHA amp, but when I mooved to a tubey amp with four 6L6 power tubes, it is totaly another thing and I totaly agree with you!

Best!
Nicola

Jan 22, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #352 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
So he was banned for talking about headphones? On a headphone forum? What?

This is the life....

k1000smile.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #353 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradino
This is the life....

k1000smile.gif

Do you happen to have a link to the post that got him banned, since you seem to have been very closely following his posts telling everyone he got banned on another forum? I'm curious what rules he broke to lose his account.

Jan 22, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #354 of 431
Quote:

Do you happen to have a link to the post that got him banned, since you seem to have been very closely following his posts telling everyone he got banned on another forum? I'm curious what rules he broke to lose his account.

The fastest possible way to get this thread closed is to discuss a member being banned. This situation is between the member and head-fi .... and this fact has been reiterated numerous times. I hope things are worked out and the member returns. But discussing the situation does nothing to resolve the problem and only can make matters worse. Lets get back on topic and mind our own business.
wink.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #355 of 431
Quote:

The fastest possible way to get this thread closed is to discuss a member being banned. This situation is between the member and head-fi .... and this fact has been reiterated numerous times. I hope things are worked out and the member returns. But discussing the situation does nothing to resolve the problem and only can make matters worse. Lets get back on topic and mind our own business.
wink.gif

Fine. I'm not used to bans being a private matter. I would have imagined that they could be enlightening to users in a "how not to act" context, but apparently that's not the case, according to you, and you've been here long enough that I guess you'd know. Issue dropped.

Jan 22, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #356 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by webzeb
Concerning the Sennheiser I never listen to the HD650 but I tried my father's HD600 : bass - and most of all "low mid-range" - were really more present than with the DT880 (which gives them more "impact"...but not what I'm looking for).
However bass didn't seem to be tighter : on the contrary I found they were quite imprecise...
confused.gif

Fred

I speak for the HD650 (don't know about the HD600): despite of being a somewhat high-impedance headphone, the Sennheiser is quite "sensible" (probably because of the presence of the mid-bass) to low-impedance headphones-output. The bass "tight" a lot with a proper amplification.

Jan 22, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #357 of 431
Quote:

It was soon after his posting the post #269 of this thread. And yup, Gradino did act that way, in both forums. This is life...

End of the offtopic.
redface.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #359 of 431
Quote:

I speak for the HD650 (don't know about the HD600): despite of being a somewhat high-impedance headphone, the Sennheiser is quite "sensible" (probably because of the presence of the mid-bass) to low-impedance headphones-output. The bass "tight" a lot with a proper amplification.

I'm not concerned by the impedance issue since my amp (homemade
wink.gif
) has an adjustable output impedance.
smily_headphones1.gif

May be HD650's bass are tighter than HD600's ones...
wink.gif

Fred

Edit : Sorry for the "double posting". The forum return me a "database error"...

Jan 22, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #360 of 431
Quote:

wink.gif

Fifty ways to get a thread closed, five ways to get banned, thirteen issues we are not supposed to discuss, half of my posts vanish since the thread is closed or deleted while I'm posting, but that's probably just me.
Maybe we should hire a few lawyers that check our posts before they are publicly accessable, I just can't keep track anymore of what's allowed and what's forbidden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back