first 24 hours of my total bithead w/HD650..
Dec 4, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ca911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The crossfeed I haven't really been able to test since I can't hear any real difference when i switch it on and off...

After a few weeks getting comfy with your 650s and bithead I assure you the difference will come out. I always had on crossfeed, but after a long while, I turned it off, and suddenly I felt unbalanced for a second..If you play with the switch all the time, it would be hard, but if you switch it after a long while the elusive feeling might be felt if you are acute.

Dec 8, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello ca911. Sounds like you're enjoying your Total BitHead. If you're not getting as much output from your computer it may be possible to get a little more. The clipping light illuminates when the amplifier tries to output more power than it has available. When using USB, there are less volts available than with batteries and so the clipping should actually happen sooner. I suspect that you have a volume control turned down on your computer somewhere. Try turning the volume in iTunes to full maximum and also check your Macintosh sound preferences to make sure the system audio is at full max as well.

Hope this helps,
Jamey

i am having the exact opposite experience and the iTunes/System volume are all at max.. is there a reason for why my clipping seems to be occuring later with USB and sooner with the analog input?

Dec 8, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ca911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am having the exact opposite experience and the iTunes/System volume are all at max.. is there a reason for why my clipping seems to be occuring later with USB and sooner with the analog input?

If you're using rechargable batteries, they have a lower voltage and would offer less output than USB. Also, if the batteries are low, this would be true. Double check your batteries and if that's not it, I suggest sending it to us with a brief description of what is happening and what headphones you're using.

Thanks,
Jamey

Dec 9, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #19 of 23
This is an interesting thread. I too am in the process of auditioning my 2006 Total Bithead. I've had it for about a month and the improvement it made as a DAC/amplifier for my laptop was striking from day one. It pays for itself there. But now that I've received my Turbodock, I'm comparing the Ipod Video/Turbodock/Bithead combination with just plugging my D77s directly into the iPod. Volume is not an issue; the D77s are pretty efficient.

My current thoughts - with many hours of testing to go - is that they sound superficially exactly the same... except that I find the sound unsatisfying through the iPod. It feels thin. Through the Turbodock/Bithead the stage seems wider, the sound fuller and warmer.

I would expect the difference to be even subtler if you are just amplifying the iPod headphone out rather than a line out solution. (I find it peculiar that Headroom pay such short thrift to the line out option for use with the Bithead/Airhead.)

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #20 of 23
sorry to bump a very old thread.

just got my Total Bithead with Beyer DT770/250 cans.

i got the computer at full volume, itunes at full volume, the gain switched to high, and as i listen to almost any song, the clipping indicator is either flashing fast or on constantly (through USB).

is this bad for the Bithead? do i need a new sound card (only have what came with the computer) or am i just listening to the music way too loud?

i was thinking of hooking into the reciever and seeing if this is any different.

any opinions/suggestions appreciated.

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #21 of 23
Try some Lithium batteries, you will get 6v vs 5v from USB. You will also get a more constant voltage from lithuim. Your headphones are 250ohm, which are pretty heavy duty requirements to meet by a relatively weak BitHead.

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #22 of 23
thank you for the reply, i will try some lithium batteries.
beerchug.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #23 of 23
I owned this portable amp and, IMO, it is not adequate to the task to properly drive the 650 to anything close to its potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back