Firewire vs USB?
Aug 20, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 19
there is no audible change between firewire or USB, both are digital connections between the system and the device

NOW
devices for firewire usually tend to be higher end than devices for USB, due to the technological advantages of firewire (just its design, vs that of USB, suits it for higher quality stuff (like MOTU or PreSonus' gear)), although firewire itself does not make these devices higher end

its like comparing Pierelli tires and Goodyear tires, high end cars, such as a Ferrari, will usually come with Pierelli, this isn't to say that Goodyear wouldn't work, its just that Pierelli is usually whats put on those cards (because of various technological advances, or because its the only tire that fits the car's stock wheels, or whatever the case may be), although the Ferrari isn't powerful and amazing because of the Pierelli tires, its powerful and amazing because its a Ferrari

firewire vs USB tends to pan out like that, USB devices usually include things like small DAC/amp units (like the Firestone FUBAR), granted there are some exceptions, where very high end devices use USB (such as the Grace m902, which is amazing quality)

although if you look at firewire devices, such as the M-Audio Firewire 410, or PreSonus FireStudio, they're going to be higher quality than something like the E-MU 0404 (in terms of features, functionality, for what they're designed to be (recording interfaces), arguing the sound quality/flavor is something entirely different)

so basically, if you're deciding based on the interface, it doesn't really matter, look at other specs on the units instead, as there are a lot of good USB devices (such as the E-MU 0404, or FUBAR, or m902 (all three mentioned here)) and a lot of good firewire devices (such as the Firewire 410 and FireStudio (granted the FireStudio is massive overkill just for listening to 2 channel audio))

Aug 20, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #4 of 19
it shouldn't, as its separate lines for data and voltage, although if this is driving something like a headphone amp, a separate power source (such as a wall-wart transformer or separate PSU) will probably give it a lot more impact, at least if you're driving something with high impedance

so, really my only issue with USB power is that there isn't much power available over USB, so the device is going to be limited in what it can do (for example, you won't be driving AKG K1000's, a streaming D/A, and all of that electronics on a single USB plug, at least not all that well)

do you have any actual devices in mind? or just begining the search for new components?

Aug 20, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by lbcliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So apogee minidac+firewire is the same with the usb version but more expensive for nothing actually?

Not nothing, but probably not anything you'll notice. Firewire interfaces are more complex, and I think they still have royalty costs. From a technical standpoint, Firewire is far superior of an interface for timely transfer of data. USB is cheap, well-supported, and good enough for the job.

But, USB eats up CPU cycles (and audio needs small bits of them very regularly), and most OSes suck with realtime workloads. If you were using it as part of a personal DAW, you could very well run into situations where that became a problem (especially if running Windows), or at least become worried about it. Firewire just needs to be given the data and told where to send it.

Wanting to listen to stereo audio with it, USB is all you need. Pretty much any PC from 2003 on will have bulletproof USB support (the date is arbitrary, based on my experiences).

Finally, Ramen can be bought cheaper in bulk, if you want to try to eat
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #9 of 19
Firewire devices have a lower delay than USB devices. That's important when you are recording or use the midi ports. Pro Users want the lowest possible delay to avoid recording glitches or out of tune playing midi instruments. Thats why most pro gear comes with firewire ports, as USB isn't ideal for time critical tasks by design. If you are just listening, then a USB device is absolutely ok. For normal listening it doesn't matter if your music starts and stops after 2 ms or 20ms after you've hit the button.

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #13 of 19
Can I ask a more specific question?

I am torn between some M-Audio products and wonder what people think.

I'm a songwriter, I record one maybe two tracks of audio at a time & use a bit of MIDI. I end up with 6-8 tracks of audio which I mix down to 24-bit stereo.

In the USB 2.0 side there is the Fast Track Pro - all the functions I need and v cheap at £129 new (and I could sell my mixer too).

And on Firewire there's the 410 - too many outputs (ten? why?) but definitely all I need. And the Audiophile where I'd still need my mixer as it only has RCA inputs. The Firewire ones I'd buy second hand on eBay.

Any thoughts anyone? Latency is certainly a big issue (my current 2496 PCI card is lovely here) more than sound quality.

Cheers

Tony
(long time reader, first time poster)

Oct 3, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't USB output limited to 24/48 or something similar?

No. It's a limitation due to needing to write drivers. AFAIK, no chip is out there that can be soldered in and run over 48/16. There appear to be some that, once completed, may run w/o special OS drivers in some OSes, but they still require custom firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back