Firewire for iPod?
Sep 19, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #16 of 28
barrycro says:
Quote:

i bought a second hand 4g ipod 40 gig b/w and my i book will not recognize it when i use the firewire cable.

First, hello neighbor, I live in Hough's Neck.

An Apple is an Apple is an Apple.

In Finder Preference is the "Show these items on the Desktop" (check) "CD's, DVD's and iPods."

You might have to reformate the drive. Is there anything on it. If not, download the newest drive from Apple and format.

If that doesn't work, write back.

Sep 19, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #17 of 28
oneeyedhobbit says,
Quote:

So now that I'm back home with my laptop, I have some kind of a slot, as I thought. I have no clue what it is though, and don't have my CPU's manual handy. Anyone know the computer well enough to comment?

There aren't too many things it could be. Can a DVD fit. If no, it's not a DVD player slot. If it is the thickness of three cd's and about half as wide, it is the card slot.

Go online as if your going to buy a card. See a picture of said card going into said computer. Does it look familiar?

Good Luck!

Sep 19, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
There aren't too many things it could be. Can a DVD fit. If no, it's not a DVD player slot. If it is the thickness of three cd's and about half as wide, it is the card slot.

Go online as if your going to buy a card. See a picture of said card going into said computer. Does it look familiar?

Good Luck!

It seems to fit your description of the dimensions. I can't find any good pictures of one empty online, however. I'll keep looking, or check on Dell's site or something. If it helps, its just a little port with a black "eject" button on one side.

Edit: According to my Device Manager, under PCMCIA adaptors I have a Texas Instruments PCI-4510 Cardbus Controller. So I've got a PCMCIA card slot. I'm going to google the card to see if its type II or III and all that jazz. IF someone can help me with the above questions it'd be great!
Assuming this is correct, who/what makes a good pcmcia card? Will it fit universally? I was reading on pcmcia.org, and it sounds like type i cards go with type i, and only type iii is universal. How do I know what I have? (Btw, will direct x or the hardware listings on my computer tell me if I have a pcmcia slot?

Sep 19, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #19 of 28
oneeyedhobbit says,
Quote:

little port with a black "eject" button on one side.

That sound like it. The cards are software driven. The newer cards are smaller. I do not know the specs for the Dell

Sep 19, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #20 of 28
See one above your post for specs on the card (in the edit). Based on the reading I've done it should be fine. TI's site makes it sound like it'll support type i-iii, and that its a 32-bit card.

Sep 19, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #21 of 28
I've yet to see a laptop that does not include at least a single PCMCIA slot, even my brothers Pentium 133 laptop from 1996 has two PCMCIA slots, though 16bit instead of 32bit obviously.

USB 1.0 has a theoretical maximum transfer speed of 183 KiB/s, meaning your average 400 MiB lossless album would take 37.3 minutes to transfer to your laptop if that maximum would've been reached at all, which in reality it never will.

Something as simple as this would provide your laptop with USB 2.0 connectivity which transfers at a theoretical maximum of 57 MiB/s, you're not going to obtain such speeds in reality but it is quite a formidable improvement over the 1.0 standard.

Hope this helps.

edit: Yes, PCMCIA is universal like USB, any card should do fine.

For more information on PCMCIA I recommend you visit this page.

Sep 19, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #22 of 28
E-PaiN say,
Quote:

I've yet to see a laptop that does not include at least a single PCMCIA slot,

Apple 12" Powerbook.
etysmile.gif

Sep 19, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #23 of 28
Thanks for the help folks, I'll pick one up. My only concern is getting a good card. Almost all of them on New Egg have comments about them breaking, but I'd like to think this is because users with a good experience were disinclined to comment.

Sep 19, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #24 of 28
oneeyedhobbit say,
Quote:

My only concern is getting a good card.

Last post:

I am confused! I believe you have a USB port on your Dell. Are you not getting the card (that you have concerns for) so that you can have firewire. You want firewire so you can buy a 4th gen iPod.

Currently, a refurb 5th gen 60 gig iPod costs $229.00. A week ago (Apple has since pulled them), a 4th gen refurb 60 gig iPod cost $269.00.

What gives?

Sep 19, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #25 of 28
You're confused, I think
wink.gif
. I wanted an iPod. I only have USB 1 and one firewire port on my computer. I initially asked if the 5G supported Firewire. When I was told no, I began looking for alternatives. At the time, I had no idea that I could get Cardbus cards that would give me USB 2.0 connectivity. So, I thought that (rather than a new laptop or something) the cheapest alternative would be to find a 4G iPod.

Now that I can just buy the USB 2.0 card, I'm planning on getting a 5G (the 60GB 4G are unavailable refurbed, and most on e-bay out of the one year warranty--I don't want it to die on me). Hence my looking for a good USB 2.0 card/brand.

Sep 20, 2006 at 8:00 AM Post #26 of 28
The Dell website is incredible, it is just impossible finding a simple specifications sheet for their products!
I've looked up on google and found a reasonably reliable source of information, ZDNet.

This are the specifications of the Dell Inspiron 5150.

Under interface types it says Hi-Speed USB though, and Hi-Speed is the fastests available USB standard.
Also, seeing the other specifications including the processor and videocard integrated in this laptop I would seriously doubt the USB port actually being USB 1.0 or 1.1.

Are you absolutely positive that you've installed the correct chipset drivers and the transfer speed is indeed very slow?
The device you have tested it with could also have been a lower speed USB standard, but I'm quite sure your laptop's USB port is of the 2.0 standard.

Sep 20, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #27 of 28
Well, I don't have the iPod (or anything else, for that matter) to test it with yet. I thought I recalled USB 2.0 coming out sometime after I bought my laptop. Maybe I'll hold off on ordering a PC Card until the iPod arrives and see how the transfer speed seems to perform.

Sep 21, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
So I mentioned a way back that I was planning on purchasing an iPod, and was now going to bring that goal to fruition. However, I'm unclear--are the 5G (particularly the "old" 60GB 5G iPods) compatible with Firewire? My laptop doesn't have USB 2.0, but it does have a firewire port.

You won't be able to use the new ipod with your laptop. I know it's stupid but some genius made the decision to make the new ipods and nanos usb only. Don't get me started on how long it takes to transfer music.
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back