Firewire for iPod?
Sep 18, 2006 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

oneeyedhobbit

1000+ Head-Fier
So I mentioned a way back that I was planning on purchasing an iPod, and was now going to bring that goal to fruition. However, I'm unclear--are the 5G (particularly the "old" 60GB 5G iPods) compatible with Firewire? My laptop doesn't have USB 2.0, but it does have a firewire port.

Sep 18, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 28
I think it's kind of sad, I really don't like USB. Besides the fact that their transfer rate is blatantly false it eats up a chunk of your processor if you push the bandwidth. Wasn't Apple one of the main proponents of the IEEE1394 (aka firewire) standard?

Sep 18, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #4 of 28
****ty. So there is no way I could connect an iPod to my laptop? I mean, USB 1.0 would be horrendously slow, not?

Sep 18, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
What if I hunted down a 4G? Are they firewire compatible?

You could either get a usb2 pcmcia card, or get a 4g, which is indeed firewire compatible.

Or buy a new laptop.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 28
one reason why i chose the 4G iPod over the 5G -- firewire. but since the clear majority of iPod users are PC users, it would make sense to ditch firewire altogether and just use USB 2.0 (which i guess also contributes to the slimness on both 5G iPod and iPod Nano)

i tired using USB 1.0 to transfer files on my iPod once -- put it this way: connected it before i went to work, 8.5 hrs later, still going strong...V_V

Sep 18, 2006 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 28
oneeyedhobbit says,
Quote:

are the 5G (particularly the "old" 60GB 5G iPods) compatible with Firewire? My laptop doesn't have USB 2.0, but it does have a firewire port.

You can charge a 5th gen Video iPod (firewire to dock connection), but you cannot transfer data via the firewire connection.

All pre-5th work with firewire to both transfer data and charge.

I'm with you on USB ! Compared to firewire, USB is an old lady.

Sep 18, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
Or buy a new laptop.
smily_headphones1.gif

Not an option, simply too expensive for me right now.

Quote:

You could either get a usb2 pcmcia card,

or get a 4g, which is indeed firewire compatible.

For a laptop? How much are we talking, and is it something I could put in myself?

Quote:

or get a 4g, which is indeed firewire compatible.

That will probably have to be my solution. I guess at least I can find a cheap refurbed on e-bay.

Sep 18, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

That will probably have to be my solution. I guess at least I can find a cheap refurbed on e-bay.

It depends on what you are looking for, I tried to find a 60GB 4G to complement mine but I couldn't find one so I got a video instead.

Sep 18, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

For a laptop? How much are we talking, and is it something I could put in myself?

if you have a pcmcia card slot on your laptop, you just slide the usb 2.0 card int it. If you don't have a slot, I think you are probably going to be stuck with a 4G iPod

Sep 18, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidd
if you have a pcmcia card slot on your laptop, you just slide the usb 2.0 card int it. If you don't have a slot, I think you are probably going to be stuck with a 4G iPod

How do I tell if I have a pcmcia card slot? I think I have some kind of slot on it, but I can't recall which. I have a Dell Inspiron 5150.

Also, where (besides e-bay) can I acqure a 4G? I'd like to get the 60GB.

Sep 19, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #14 of 28
So now that I'm back home with my laptop, I have some kind of a slot, as I thought. I have no clue what it is though, and don't have my CPU's manual handy. Anyone know the computer well enough to comment?

Sep 19, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #15 of 28
i bought a second hand 4g ipod 40 gig b/w and my i book will not recognize it when i use the firewire cable. when i checked out the info on the ipod it says it is an hp product. i dont know if this is the problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back