Firestone Products
Mar 24, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #16 of 162
I still have my Spitfire and my Cute Beyond. I love the look of them. So tiny.

What I don't like is the nearly useless volume control on the Beyond. Left and right channel don't track until you hit 8-9 o'clock on the dial. Very frustrating. It's also easy to set the gain switch up and blow your ears off when turning it on.

The Spitfire is a little champ, even though sometimes I have to cycle it to sync up.

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #18 of 162
The only OPamps I've tried besides stock are the 2107s, and so far I'm happy about my decision. Supposedly, they're 95% as good as the OP627/637, considered to be the best burr brown op amp. And in order to use them in firestone products, you need to brown dog two of them--at $18 a pop plus cost for the adapter (x2 if Amp & Dac)! With that said, I'm more than happy with my 2107s. They still need burn-in, however.

One caveat to them is that they make my dark senns even darker. I'll be picking up a pair of dt 770s/80 here sometime soon to throw in the mix and compare. I listen to a decent amount of hip/hop (Beyers) so genre also plays a role.

*update* I just received my two suppliers for my Beyond/Fubar II and while the difference is subtle, I do notice a small increase in soundstage, detail, and overall dynamics. Also, the bass has extended slightly more, which adds a little oomph to the senns.

Mar 25, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #19 of 162
looks like ill be sticking with the 2107s then... and mebbe if i decide to get the fubar II (which i most likely will) ill be sticking the 2107s in them too...

and i do agree about the darker sound...even my beyers aint that bright anymore... and it also sounds airy...with a nicer soundstage now.

dont think im gonna bother with the brown dog thingy...im guessing itll end up costing alot here.

btw, dropkickduffy, are the suppliers worth the cost of the upgrade with just a subtle difference?

EDIT: @dropkickduffy
mind taking a pic of ur Fubar II's internals? a nice closeup perhaps? cant seem to find any good pictures of them. thanks in advance.

Apr 10, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #20 of 162
i just got back from singapore and jaben yesterday (5-6 hour drive phew!), so im just itching to spread the firestone love
biggrin.gif
but forgive the pix quality as my camera is a very low end sony dsc s600 and i have vibrator hands.

heres what i got (nono i didnt get that huge mother on the label)
01fubarjx4.jpg

the insides of the box
02fubarob6.jpg

contents
03fubarqf3.jpg

FUUUUBBBAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR two
biggrin.gif

04fubarvx6.jpg

check out that cute booty
05fubarxe8.jpg

topless (actually more like nekkid front)
06fubarfs4.jpg

naked booooootttyyyy
07fubarkw0.jpg

all stripped off
08fubarzz4.jpg

top of the board
09fubaraz0.jpg

the underside
10fubarho4.jpg

with its mate - the Battery Cute II headamp
11fubarjw7.jpg

its new home
12fubarav5.jpg

see the image on the screen? thats muh main reason for making a 5-6 hour drive to singapore..muh new rims, which are absolutely gorgeous!!

no impressions yet (except that it sounds much cleaner than the a2zs), coz the fubar has less than 5 hours on it. opamp is still the oh-lee-gee-nal opamp. wanna get used to this sound signature first before switching both (the opamp and that jrc thingy) to the 2107. that might take another month or 2.

n yeah...im sorry about my wallet too (but not THAT sorry
biggrin.gif
)

Apr 10, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #22 of 162
Received the Fubar II today and it sounds excellent! The more I listen to it, the better it sounds. What is a recommended burn-in time with stock components? How does the sound signature change afterwards?

~Z

Apr 10, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #23 of 162
Here's my setup! I love it!

hp1og6.jpg

hp2jb9.jpg

The 'Suppliers' coupled with OPA2107 are a wicked little setup at a decent price. I totally dig the modular design and these sound as good as any other "mid-fi" setup I've yet to hear. I'll post a full review once burn-in is complete!

Apr 11, 2007 at 8:27 AM Post #25 of 162
more pix of the firestone family. ignore the big red one...that aint from firestone.

06jabenyz1.jpg

07jabenfg8.jpg

071jabengl7.jpg

pix is from Jaben Network, Singapore (where i got my FUBAR II USB DAC) who are also the official distributors of Firestone Products in Singapore (and this part of the world i guess).

ive posted tonnes more pix of Jaben Network (and all the goodies inside) which can be seen HERE

Apr 12, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #28 of 162
I love how their products look and they are truly affordably priced. If I were to buy an expensive gift for a friend I'd go with their products ;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back