Firestone Products
Mar 16, 2007 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 162

dropkickduffy

100+ Head-Fier
Aside from myself, does anyone else have any Firestone brand products? I have their Cute Beyond and Fubar II and I am amazed at their quality and the low cost of these units. I also have two Supplier psu's on the way that should add some additional dynamics.

For an 'Official Sponsor' of Head-fi they seem to get little to no love on these boards. Any thought as to why?

-Colin

Mar 16, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by dropkickduffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aside from myself, does anyone else have any Firestone brand products? I have their Cute Beyond and Fubar II and I am amazed at their quality and the low cost of these units. I also have two Supplier psu's on the way that should add some additional dynamics.

For an 'Official Sponsor' of Head-fi they seem to get little to no love on these boards. Any thought as to why?

-Colin

I have a FUBAR II DAC. It sounds awesome - truly amazing for the price. I'd love to check out a Little Country tube amp from them, but I haven't been able to justify that yet...

Mar 16, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 162
I have a Spitfire DAC and will be getting a Big Joe power amp for my K1000 soon. Numerous people here have Firestone products, they don't get too much rave publicity but they are quietly finding their way into many setups. I like their stuff.

Mar 16, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a FUBAR II DAC. It sounds awesome - truly amazing for the price. I'd love to check out a Little Country tube amp from them, but I haven't been able to justify that yet...

I was also thinking about the Little Country tube amp, but there hasn't been much news on it here on head-fi. It looks like an interesting amp, but I haven't been brave enough to give it a go.

Mar 16, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 162
In all honesty... ive only been reading more about these firestone products recently. When I was looking for amps I pretty much settled between the lunchbox and headfive. I would have taken a gander to firestone products if I was more aware
frown.gif
. I love how they look and they are a bit cheaper for a newer product than others on the market. Plus all the glowing reviews makes them hard to not look at.

Mar 17, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #8 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by reivaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In all honesty... ive only been reading more about these firestone products recently. When I was looking for amps I pretty much settled between the lunchbox and headfive. I would have taken a gander to firestone products if I was more aware
frown.gif
. I love how they look and they are a bit cheaper for a newer product than others on the market. Plus all the glowing reviews makes them hard to not look at.

I consider these "gateway" gear. Within one year I bet you will find yourself mainlining a Tyll, a Justin, a Mikal, or a Ray. Good luck!

Mar 17, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #9 of 162
im running on the Battery Cute II headamp right now... considering adding the Fubar II DAC to the mix....or might be going for some other DAC.

Mar 20, 2007 at 8:44 AM Post #11 of 162
eerrr.....since this is the firestone thread..i was wondering...

whats the best opamps to be paired with the main rig in my sig? and i listen to metal

these pix are of the originals ones... and ive changed both to the 2107 and although theres improvements.. i was just wondering if there might be more....especially for my cans and my music tastes.

suggestions anyone?

Mar 20, 2007 at 9:49 AM Post #12 of 162
Hey,

Glad to see another person who appreciates Firestone products. I like the detail that the 2107s provide, but I do admit they are a little laid back--especially for Senns.

Have you tried AD8620s? I think you need two of them in a Brown Dog adapter to get them to work in the sockets of Firestone products. This requires some soldering skills.

I plan to give 'em a shot to brighten my Senns up a bit, because they are a little too laid back for certain types of music, such as punk and reggae. Although, I could see them being a tad bit too bright with the highs given the emphasis of the highs in the Beyerdynamic sound.

Mar 20, 2007 at 10:19 AM Post #13 of 162
I also see you're using an AudigyZS for your DAC. You DEFINITELY need an upgrade to realize the potential of the amp... probably even to truly discern the difference in opamps.

I was running the Cute Beyond connected to my X-Fi and I noticed a drastic improvement switching to the Fubar II.

Mar 20, 2007 at 10:47 AM Post #14 of 162
I Just got a Fubar II and a Cute Beyond amp. I got the Supplier for the amp and bought a $40 electronics store 24v regulated PS for the Fubar.

I rolled in OPA2107s last night and it definitely improved the amp. However the Fubar has died since the surgery. The fuse has browning in the middle of the element so I'm hoping that's all it is.

I am not an audiophile by any stretch so consider my impressions in that light. I just now tried an OPA2111 in the amp and thought it was inferior to the 2107, less soundstage, air and separation.

I also tried to compare the Supplier, the 24v electronic store PS and the stock power supply in the amp using my Red Wine iPod as source and I'm afraid I couldn't tell the difference between any of them. It wasn't a perfect A-B test cause I had to swap the plugs. So make of it what you will. I certainly couldn't tell the difference between the Supplier and the electronics store PS.

The Beyond is a great amp. I also compared it with my supermini3 and its easily better in every respect.

Mar 20, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #15 of 162
@dropkickduffy
yeah...ive been contemplating on getting a DAC.. the Fubar II was high on the list...only problem is i also game on this PC (headphones are the only sound output) and i dunno how to set the PC up to make all sounds to the Fubar except for games to the A2ZS without having to switch plugs or using a splitter. heck i dont even know how to set it up in windows :p

as for the 2107s i like how they sound so far as they add more air to the sound. but theyve only been in use for around 5 hours at most. still need to burn them in more. the brightness isnt much of a problem....yet :p

would like to try the AD8620 u mentioned...but the whole adapter thingy puts me off as it aint easy to get them parts here. plus i think my soldering skills are only good for DIY cables
biggrin.gif

i guess in terms of opamps that are directly compatible with the amps sockets the 2107 would be the best out there huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back