Firestone iCute amplifier and Spitfire DAC has landed!
Dec 6, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #46 of 55
writing a critical review is really time consuming for me. I sit there for hours picking it apart, listening to it several times daily and so on.

when I do a comparison review, its double the work. Ive spent about a month with a micro amp, and some short listening with the firestone. It would take a lot more time for me to familiarize with the friestone enough to do a truly fair review against my personal rig Ive been very familiar with. The flames don't help much either
smily_headphones1.gif

What I can do is point out the sound signatures of the different combos, their weaknesses and gains sonically and leave it up to the reader whether or not the sound is for them. I think that would be best way to approach a comparison review. Sorry the impressions have been so short, Ive been very busy between college and basically two jobs., and feel uncomfortable fully comparing the firestone amp because its brand new, and I am not familiar with the amp yet. Since a review or even short impressions can carry heavy weight in the long run, as of late, I want to make sure I am definate with any of my descriptions.

I can say so far that both the micro stack and firestone combo are not neutral amps, but on opposite sides of the spectrum. the headroom is on the liquid warm side, and the firestone is on the fast and detailed side but not overly bright.

Feb 14, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #47 of 55
Damn that Cute Spitfire looks sweet. I hope Myo writes more extensive review soon.

Feb 14, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #49 of 55
I was asked for some pics, so I thought I'd post them for all to see (hope they're even slightly what you hoped for, Patu):

edit:

Roblo, the front panels for the amps are blue, red, purple and grey/silver (as seen in the first pic I posted). I assume that you wanted a backshot of the amplifier... I might post one if I can be arsed to stop listening for a while (again
biggrin.gif
) to take a picture.

Feb 14, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #50 of 55
Thank you very much luukas! That looks too sweet. I hope it sounds sweet too. We must arrange that audition some day.
smily_headphones1.gif

If someone has compared it to some higher end DACs I'd be more than interested.

Feb 16, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #51 of 55
just in case, we should note that the DAC does not come with a free cat.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2006 at 7:28 AM Post #52 of 55
Thanks RnB180! Your posts on new equipment has been very useful, and I appreciate your insight and all that you share with the forum.

Lots of people are wondering about DACs period, and would like to read about how different models are perceived to sound/perform. I know that the equipment used in an evaluation will effect the sound that is perceived, and it takes time to audition equipment properly then write up a review.

Ultimately it is nice to read ANY IMPRESSIONS about how different equipment components are perceived to sound.
biggrin.gif

There are not a lot of companies that are selling Quality DACs in the sub $300 range (is it possible to produce one as such?)

So ... RnB180, I would like to read any impressions from what you hear using the MicroDAC and the Spitfire DAC using your Ray Samuels Hornet headphone amp
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Feb 16, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #53 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by rab10
So ... RnB180, I would like to read any impressions from what you hear using the MicroDAC and the Spitfire DAC using your Ray Samuels Hornet headphone amp
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Unless he bought one quite recently, he doesn't have a Hornet. The one he review was Ray's personal unit, IIRC.

Feb 16, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #54 of 55
I really like my Spitfire, though I haven't much to compare it to apart from my other gear, none of which includes another standalone DAC. All I can say is that my Stax system with Spitfire now sounds more detailed, speedy and surprisingly warm compared to my Ety's. Nicely full sounding and very involving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back