Firestone iCute amplifier and Spitfire DAC has landed!
Dec 3, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #16 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
You dont pay off a credit card by buying more stuff Myo
very_evil_smiley.gif

Where is the fun in paying off a credit card?
tongue.gif

Dec 4, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #17 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat
Really agrees with the above posts!
You should be able to give a factually based as well as your own opinion about these components!
If you cannot, why bother "review" any of them?
All others here thinking about getting one or the other, are very interested in finding any facts to use when making their decission about what to get.
And you have both, and should be able to tell the pro's and con's with each of them!
But you should also be able to defend your opinions here!

There are a couple of reasons why this would noy be a fair comparison. I havent compared either agianst each other but you must take note that..

the Spitfire is a stand alone home DAC with RCA outputs that is also stationary with out USB connectivity, while the Micro DAC is a portable DAC with USB connectivity and line out rather then RCA out. They both target totally seperate markets. When you state "All others here thinking about getting one or the other". for what use? as a home stereo DAC, PC DAC or portable DAC?

as a PC user I would not use the spitfire, as a home stereo DAC I would not use the micro DAC. Unfortunately my PC does not support optical out.
I have these units for audition currently so I can give them a listen.
Hopefully providing some insight to others that may be interested in how the amps perform. (No, I do not work for either headroom, Head fi or firestone)

maybe a better comparison would be Fubar versus Micro DAC?

then you take into consideration the amplifiers, one costing $300 and one costing $170, one is a portable amp, one is a budget amp stationary. I do not see how a comparison review would benefit commercial amps created for entirely different uses with such a large price point and feature difference?

Thanks
God bless,
myo

Dec 4, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #18 of 55
I believe the main thing people are wondering about is which sounds better, which is not necessarily dependent upon price or market segment.

Dec 4, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #19 of 55
Eh, alot of people use the Micro Stack as a home only system, if the Firestone part sounds just as good or better for half the price I think people would want to know. Hehe no offense to headroom, im sure it "Stacks" up just fine. Im ordering a Millet Hybrid soon myself. But I'll be looking for a good Dac to pair with it. The MicroDAC looks nice, but if I can get equel or greater performance from another(cheaper) part im all over it.

Dec 4, 2005 at 9:42 AM Post #20 of 55
I posted it in the Firestone Forum, too:

Hi @ all.

Yesterday I got my Cute Beyond. Very fast delivery. THANKS FOR THAT ! First I had to change the ac/dc-adapter, cause I live in germany. So I took an old adapter with german pins and implanted the PCB. Then soldered with the german pins. Works great, and the amp sounds great, too.

BUT:

I drive my Sennheiser HD595's with the Beyond. My question is why I can hear still music through my HP's when the volume-poti is completely close !?! Does it come from the very loud 595's (50 Ohms) ?

Please help me out.

Best regards,

Jonas Longerich

Dec 4, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #22 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat

Why the issue of one have RCA the other not is brought out; I cannot see why this is an issue.
They are both Line-Outs, and as such they both work nicely, the discussion about RCA versus mini-stereo-connector was your idea here!

the Micro amp uses a TRS mini line out, while the Spitfire uses RCA line out. There is a difference due to cable lengths, and types along with adapters that I currently have avaialble for me to use. one way or another both amps will be using a different cables and adapters for comparisons that will effect the audio chain during a direct comparison.

anyhow in short to appease the antsy. moving ahead.
for comparisons between the micro dac and spitfire, since thats what people want to know, please note these are just quick impressions, and not using ideal set ups simple because both dacs have completely different connectivity and may require additional adapters in the chain, and lengths of cables and so on are all different. This is out of my hands however, its just the design of the DAC inputs chosen by each company respectively.

so far both DACs exhibit a different sound greatly depending on which amplifier it is attached to, using the micro amp with the spitfire dac, I get a really warm liquidy rich sound at the expense of sound stage. When I use the micro amp with the micro dac directly, I get an excellent balance of airy sound stage and smooth clean sound.

When I use the beyond amp with the micro dac I get a dryer sound. Its more of a sound like Im within the recording room notes do not seem to float in the air as easily. Air is not as noticeable. If I use the Spitfire with the beyond amp, I get a sound that is a lot wetter and open. This is a sound opposite of the closed in type sound I get using the micro dac with the beyond amp. The Sound stage has more air and space.

So how do you know which DAC sounds better? Tough call because synergy will play an extensive role in the over all sound, This includes what type of amplifier you are using which will determine whether or not the particular DAC component is your taste in sound.

I can only determine whether or not I prefer the sound of one combination more then the other. This has absolutely no relation as to whether or not its a sound that you prefer. The sound differences change so drastically depending on what headphone combination I am using it is indeed difficult to pick which DAC is best.

Then you have to consider that I am using the 580s recabled, which have a smaller more warm sound stage as opposed to my woodied 600's which have a larger sound soundtage with a more neutral response. There are so many variables that effect the over all sound and presentation of the set up its very difficult to determine what DAC would work best for your set up.

Its now really late
so I need to go to bed.

Good night
God bless,
myo

Dec 4, 2005 at 11:51 AM Post #24 of 55
lab rat I think you misundestood the post,
but I should clarify it then.

I do not work for head fi, I do not work for headroom, I do not work for firestone.

This is more hassle then I thought, IMO not worth stressing, this is the last review I will write.

I updated my DAC comparison post, its not that easy as one being warm and one being anylitical, please reread
smily_headphones1.gif

I did some more listening and swapping, at with the beyond amp in the chain, the the spitfire is not even close to warm. I will also re edit any posts that may be taken the wrong way.

Dec 4, 2005 at 11:55 AM Post #25 of 55
Bummer, guess that spitfire won't go so well with Tube amps eh? Headroom needs an External Desktop Dac now.. there's a gap in the product line, all desktop products can have Dacs integrated except the Millet Hybrid, if you want a Dac for that your forced into either the MicroDAC (which won't fit the desktop stack properly) or a 3rd party dac. A Home Dac in a portable desktop case priced at about 399 would be awsome
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2005 at 1:31 PM Post #27 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
This is more hassle then I thought, IMO not worth stressing, this is the last review I will write.

Unfortunately, I agree that writing reviews and comparisons can be a hassle and sometimes not worth the effort.

I appreciate what you've written so far and am looking forward to more impressions on the Spitfire DAC. gerG's pdf review was very positive.

Dec 4, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #28 of 55
Thanks RnB180,
smily_headphones1.gif

you've had me "inspired". I want a Spitfire, if I can afford it.

Dec 4, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #29 of 55
What's the output voltage (roughly) on the Spitfire? Is the volume more or less comparable to a normal cd player?

/JF

EDIT: Also has anybody tried it with Airport Express yet? Does it have fast syncing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back