Firestone iCute amplifier and Spitfire DAC has landed!
Dec 6, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #31 of 55
How well does it drive the HD 580 / 600

i still cant find an answer on this
frown.gif
(

Dec 6, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #32 of 55
I tried the 580 with the Beyond and it's not the best combination. The Beyond is on the warm side and i felt the 580 sounded too warm. Not enough highs, too much lows. The 580 worked better with the Pimeta.

The Beyond works well with the 595 depending on the interconnect. Zu Pivot's great but the blue dragon made it too warm sounding; again too much lows. The best match for the Beyond so far is the HF-1. Perfect balance.

I'm getting the RS-2 soon, so i'll post my impressions.

Dec 6, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #33 of 55
Lets see, the beyond is great with HF1 and really good with the 595s, sounds like the perfect amp for me!

Jamie

Dec 6, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #34 of 55
Great...I haven't even got the headphone amp I want...and now I want a DAC.

Dec 6, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #37 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ko Nectic Jazz
Looks like hd600 works
(look at the bottom of the page)

Now how it sounds ? ...

Well the amp is rated at being able to work loads up to 600 ohms, so there's no doubt in the world that it'll run the HD600's. Seems like they should drive them well to be honest, but as some have stated here, seems that the warmness of the amp doesn't quite go with the warmer of the Senn series.

Dec 6, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #38 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ojnihs
Well the amp is rated at being able to work loads up to 600 ohms, so there's no doubt in the world that it'll run the HD600's. Seems like they should drive them well to be honest, but as some have stated here, seems that the warmness of the amp doesn't quite go with the warmer of the Senn series.

...thats also my fear!!!

Dec 6, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #39 of 55
Yeah, i think this is really subjective. I prefer more neutral to a little warmer cans. My preference is confined between the 595 (low end) and the RS (high end). The 580/6*0 is not for me as i feel they are missing some sparkle and the 325i have too much sparkle.

I think the Cute Beyond doesn't really change the sound/signature of any can but it really brings out its qualities. I would say it's quite neutral and a touch towards the warm side. I also feel that the interconnect plays a part in how warm/bright the sound is. I used to be a non-believer.

It will have no trouble powering any can i believe. I never go past 10 o'clock on low gain. The 580 never went past 12 o'clock on low gain. Hope this helps.

I'm very curious to compare this with the gilmore lite. Anyone in Boston wanna do this?

Dec 6, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #40 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ojnihs

That's a non issue -- you can just substituite an AD823 for the OPA2227 and see how much livelier things will be!

Dec 6, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #41 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
That's a non issue -- you can just substituite an AD823 for the OPA2227 and see how much livelier things will be!

I have a AD823 in my pimeta and it sounds really good with my 650s.

Dec 6, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #42 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
lab rat I think you misundestood the post,
but I should clarify it then.

I do not work for head fi, I do not work for headroom, I do not work for firestone.

This is more hassle then I thought, IMO not worth stressing, this is the last review I will write.

Good riddance. I haven't found any of your reviews worthy of your prima donna attitude. The point of this board is a forum for members to discuss (question and answer are included) the products relevant to our hobby. If you do not wish to contribute to this dialog, then don't.

Dec 6, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #44 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
Good riddance. I haven't found any of your reviews worthy of your prima donna attitude. The point of this board is a forum for members to discuss (question and answer are included) the products relevant to our hobby. If you do not wish to contribute to this dialog, then don't.

Rather than add fuel to a flame, I leave you with this.

as I am appreciative with all the members on the forum and their posts. I am also appreciative yours.
I say this with sincerity and without sarcasm. I hope you find other reviews more informative then what I have to offer. When I write the review it is with good intentions, my posts in meant not to offend anyone. I write it in hopes to contribute information about my experiences. Im trying to speak to you in true kindness as my other posts, so please do not take this as "prima donna" attitude.
smily_headphones1.gif

regarding labrat, we've long settled any indifferences via pm, not sure if you were aware of that. If you feel like venting I say go for it
smily_headphones1.gif
, if you feel like talking to a buddy about audio in general your always free to pm me.

God bless you.
myo

Dec 6, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #45 of 55
Thx for caving in and doing some comparisons myo
smily_headphones1.gif
!
I understand they can not be perfect because of the different cables, and so on. But still, it's a lot better than "I listened to this and it sounded nice. I also listened to that and that sounded nice". Comparison really is the way to go! Do not fear the comparo review.

Also, what do you mean it's not worth it wriiting a review? What where you expecting to get out of it? For what it's worth I really enjoyed reading it
smily_headphones1.gif

Godless
tongue.gif

Anders

Users who are viewing this thread

Back