Firestone Fubar IV or Styleaudio Carat Ruby 2 or Headstage Arrow 12HE
Apr 18, 2011 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

smuh

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,
due to the fact that my Echo Indigo no longer works in my new laptops, I am in search of something new. Either I would need a DAC/AMP combo or two seperate devices. Due to portability and the price I ended up aiming for a DAC/AMP combo.

I narrowed the list down to either the Fubar IV/4, the Carat Ruby 2 or the super portable Headstage Arrow 12He.

The Carat Ruby 2 and the Headstage Arrow 12He seems to get a lot of loving, the Fubar is always recommended, but there does not seem as many fanboys out there for it :wink:

The Carat Ruby 2 looks very well built, the Arrow too, just way smaller and the battery and volume pot are not my taste -  but seems a lot of people had the same concern without a reason.
The Fubar does not look as good internally compared at least to the Ruby.

I cant really decide right now as all of the three seem to be a good choice. I would be using them when I am in the office or in a hotel while on a business trip. Headphones would be Beyerdynamic DT-250 250, AKG K701 or Etymotic ER4P.

What would you recommend? Btw. I narrowed it down to the three as they are basically the same price here in Germany/EU.

Thanks,
Andre

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 5
The Fubar 4 is definitely cheaper than your other options Andre (220 euros inclusive of shipping and VAT!), just checked it a week back. I am happy Firestone customer and would definitely recommend their products for good value. Though I have not personally tested the Carat and Arrow, I am sure they definitely are not in the same class as the Fubar 4! (cheap! 
wink_face.gif
).

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #3 of 5
since you are considering fubar IV, which is not that portable, you might want to check this? http://audiohub.com.sg/tag/tiny-tube/

I have it for about two weeks now, and sounds good so far... though tubed, the amp section is completely natural. The USB-DAC is quite good too, although forward for my taste... 

You can use this device as an amp, dac+amp and dac-out-unamped.

Apr 19, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the recomendation, but if I ever get a tube amp again, it will be a Brocksieper Earmax Pro with the AKG K701 :) I had the amp with the K501 a few years ago and loved the lush sound.
Right now I would prefer something transportable. The amp should use a wallwart so I can use it with 110 and 220V or be using batteries.

bala: Kinda true, but the price difference is 20 Euro only. Fubar IV is around 230 Euro. The Carat Ruby around 250 Euro including Tax as well as the Arrow.

The 20 Euro I dont care much about, but I wouldnt like to spend much more on a transportable setup as I am using my Staxens at home.

Anybody else? :wink:

Thanks,
Andre

Users who are viewing this thread

Back