Firestone Cute Beyond PS
Aug 29, 2007 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

andrew3199

500+ Head-Fier
I am thinking of getting the "Power supplier" for my cute beyond but just realized that an Elpac 24 volt may be an improvement over the stock (Cheap) power supply, they are both 24 volt. the Elpac seems a lot better in the build department. Anyone have any thoughts?

Aug 31, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 19
I bought the Supplier for my Cute Beyond. It made, at best, a subtle difference. I think I notice a little more clarity in the bass and slightly better highs, but I sure wouldn't want to bet the farm on it in a blind test. I admit that my ears are not the best, however. Other people may notice more of a difference.

There are some reviews on here that do suggest the extra power supply does make a noticeable difference. Also, Firestone has a satisfaction guarantee, I believe.

One thing that may be a factor, though, is that I have high impedance cans, where the voltage swing, as I understand it, is more important than current supply. With lower impedance, higher current draw headphones, you may notice more of a difference. Somebody with more technical knowledge than me may be able to verify or refute that theory, though.

On the positive side, the Supplier is fairly cheap, and if there were any issues with the stock supply, or your power lines, it would take care of them, I would think. It also looks good stacked with the Cute amp, which is a superficial factor, but hey, I'm shallow. I may even get one for my Fubar II for that reason alone.

Yes, I do have more money than brains, but it's not because I'm rich.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 19
I think it made an appreciable difference, at least with my DT770s and my 580s. That said, I believe the difference is better realized with improved opamps, because I noticed a decent (albeit not huge) improvement when I rolled some OP2107s and LM4562s. The stock opamps are decent at best.

Aug 31, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitemonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the Supplier for my Cute Beyond. It made, at best, a subtle difference. I think I notice a little more clarity in the bass and slightly better highs, but I sure wouldn't want to bet the farm on it in a blind test. I admit that my ears are not the best, however. Other people may notice more of a difference.

There are some reviews on here that do suggest the extra power supply does make a noticeable difference. Also, Firestone has a satisfaction guarantee, I believe.

One thing that may be a factor, though, is that I have high impedance cans, where the voltage swing, as I understand it, is more important than current supply. With lower impedance, higher current draw headphones, you may notice more of a difference. Somebody with more technical knowledge than me may be able to verify or refute that theory, though.

On the positive side, the Supplier is fairly cheap, and if there were any issues with the stock supply, or your power lines, it would take care of them, I would think. It also looks good stacked with the Cute amp, which is a superficial factor, but hey, I'm shallow. I may even get one for my Fubar II for that reason alone.

Yes, I do have more money than brains, but it's not because I'm rich.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the reply.
It's a tough choice. I don't really want to spend that kind of $'s for such a small upgrade (If any.) I actually did a comparison of the stock power supply and the Elpac today and I thought I could hear a slight improvement at the top end, slightly more extended slightly less grain and it could be the amp or CD player burning in I guess, very slight if any. The other choice would be a 24 volt steps
confused.gif
I also have a Monster AC power coditioner on the way, My wiring hasn't been upgraded since the mid 70's I will let you know.

Aug 31, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jack1960 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
andrew,

Which Elpac unit did you purchase? I'm thinking of trying this before I purchase a Supplier p/s.

Thanks.

jack

Jack! it is a 24 volt regulated Elpac I got it from Mouser I will check out the exact model number when I get home from work.

Aug 31, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dropkickduffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it made an appreciable difference, at least with my DT770s and my 580s. That said, I believe the difference is better realized with improved opamps, because I noticed a decent (albeit not huge) improvement when I rolled some OP2107s and LM4562s. The stock opamps are decent at best.

I had a similar finding with changing opamps. I tried quite a few different ones in my Fubar II and Cute Beyond and eventually settled on the opa2107 in both. For the money, it was a better upgrade than the Supplier, to my ears anyway.

Part of the issue for me with the Supplier is the difficulty in A-B comparison. You can't switch quickly enough between the two power sources to make the difference obvious.

The initial change didn't strike me as dramatic, but I do think there was at least some difference. Likely, if I went back to the wall wart now, I'd notice a more significant difference. I seem to be able to recognize a negative difference better than a positive one, if that makes sense. I wonder what that says about my personality.
frown.gif

Aug 31, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitemonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I seem to be able to recognize a negative difference better than a positive one, if that makes sense.

congratulations! ur a typical human being
biggrin.gif

actually im kinda having some issues with my Fubar... im guessing its the power lines. its definitely not the amp as ive tested it with another amp and same result. also, this is the second Fubar that has these issues...i sent my first one in for warranty thinking its the Fubar itself...guess i was wrong.

first thing i need to do is change the extension cable to a new one (current one is pretty old). if that doesnt work....looks like ill be spending money on either a Supplier or an iBasso D1 for around double the money. what do u guys think??

Sep 1, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mADmAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
congratulations! ur a typical human being
biggrin.gif

actually im kinda having some issues with my Fubar... im guessing its the power lines. its definitely not the amp as ive tested it with another amp and same result. also, this is the second Fubar that has these issues...i sent my first one in for warranty thinking its the Fubar itself...guess i was wrong.

first thing i need to do is change the extension cable to a new one (current one is pretty old). if that doesnt work....looks like ill be spending money on either a Supplier or an iBasso D1 for around double the money. what do u guys think??

A common audio gremlin is power line noise. The Fubar is used with a computer which dumps back EMF or reflected noise from the computer power supply, usually right into the outlet your source components are plugged into.

That stuff is audio poison and one of the greater improvements you can make to a system is cleaning up what you are powering your gear from. Power line noise is a low level source of grunge that really effects what you are hearing and it is often neglected. Chain consumer electronics stores sell 'Power Conditioners' but one of their main functions is to separate you from your money.
eek.gif

A good source is ebay in the industrial equipment section for power and line conditioners. Some of the better and most cost effective are Transformer based conditioners, ferro-resonant transformers. They are heavy and frequently cost as much to ship as to buy. 300-500VA is more than adequate for all your head phone setup and sources. They maintain a constant output voltage, no change when your A/C turns on and almost all line noise is filtered out. Some Mfgr's like Topaz, Thordason, Sola are some common ones. you can get one that was $300-$600 new for less than $100, as low as $30 which is about the minimum shipping will cost. Over any given 2 weeks a cheap deal will turn up.

An effective, real consumer power conditioner is not cheap. These industrial things are usually ugly (I don't think so) but you WILL hear the difference. Think about it for a bit, your power supply, what you ultimately listen to through your headphones, starts at the wall! And what comes out of the wall is a whole lot more than 50-60 hz. Clean power will uncover detail you haven't heard and the better your gear is the more it matters. Keep the computer stuff plugged in as usual and plug all your head gear into clean AC. (Everything get upgraded at one pop!)
cool.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 10:14 AM Post #14 of 19
agree with everything u said....and imho its the best solution.....BUT

im not located in the states...im in Malaysia...where its fuggin difficult to get these power conditioners etc etc (heck, even my entire headphone setup was bought in another country LOL)...... i did consider power conditioners before..... but even the ones that are here are too expensive.... ebay is a definite no-no as the shipping alone would probably kill me. whats 300-600 USD to u...to me is already 4 digits (RM) and thats gonna make me sweat blood.

hence the reason i decided to try the cheapest solution first...replacing my 4-gang extension cable for a newer one...the current one is pretty old anyway, so i do suspect thats the reason for the noise ive been having.

odd thing to me is, ive never had these issues before the fubar... all my components are plugged into the same 4-gang extension but only the fubar is making the noise...before the fubar was an a2zs and the headamp connected to that....oh well...

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #15 of 19
There is a heck of a lot of hi-tech industrial and medical manufacturing in Malasia, there has got to be a surplus warehouse somewhere. Probably like looking for a needle in a haystack though. ?? Lotsa' batteries??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back