Firefox 4 = IE clone ??
Mar 24, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 14
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe IE was the last browser to incorporate tabs... until they stop using tabs, accelerators, etc., I would just say they are copying other browsers... Then there's the small issue of v9 of IE scoring 95 on the acid3 test, and FF v3 scoring 94... More than a decade and six versions ahead and they can only scrounge one point on the competition... I'm not sure any other browser would want to copy that.

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 14
 I was referring to FF4s moving the home, stop & refresh buttons to look pretty much like IE, not tabs.
Granted, you can re-arrange your browser control buttons, which I have done, but it just seems like FF is now trying to be more like IE.

Mar 26, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
It makes sense, IE is probably the most used browser. If Firefox's buttons are on the same place it would be lest frustrating for the people who have always used IE

I haven't seen FF4 without any customization, I was a FF4 beta tester and so I've always had the default FF 3.6 button locations, but I agree with GGfpc. I honestly don't know why IE put most of the buttons, except for the back/forward buttons, on the right...maybe because they are closer to the window command buttons (minimize, maximize, close)? I still remember switching to IE7 for the first time and I was freaking out that the home button was on the right instead of the left like it was in IE6 and FF.

Mar 26, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 14
Hey Why don't you try it out yourself? FF4 is final release since like 2 days ago. What I did was download it and it had a feature called "upgrade" so my version went from 3.6 to 4.0 and it looks really cool! Its like Chrome with FireFox features and infterface. Try It!! It still has some problems, but im sure they will be fixed real soon. On the bonus side, FF4 has HTML5 and they give you an entire gallary to view with HTML5 interface after you DL and install.

Mar 26, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 14
If my memory still valid, I think FF 4 look more sleeker and pixel efficient, nothing like IE at all. But dunno though, the last time I used IE is about 3-4 years ago.... oh yeah, ff 4 is lot faster than good ol' ff 3.6.x!!!! I upgraded 1-2 days after the release, and I love it.

Mar 26, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 14
I switched over last night. After moving some buttons around and setting it to show menu bar (so that it's like before, lol), I'm very pleased.

Oh forgot, I don't like the transparency. I'm gonna have to fix that sometime soon.

Mar 26, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
Oh forgot, I don't like the transparency. I'm gonna have to fix that sometime soon.

Yeah I read a lot of user feedback when FF4 was still in beta and a lot of people disliked the transparency effects. I use a light green Foxkeh theme, so the transparency works out for me.

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
I switched over last night. After moving some buttons around and setting it to show menu bar (so that it's like before, lol), I'm very pleased.

Little tip: the menu bar will show up if you press alt.

I like how firefox can be easily changed to suit all kinds of preferences though. Here's how mine is setup:

Buttons at the right are adblock, tiletabs, history, bookmarks and lastpass

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #11 of 14
I have very fond memories of FF, but once it got slow as molasses, I abandoned it for Safari and Chrome and didn't look back. Now, I'd like to go back, but it will take a lot of coaxing to get me to download another handful of megabytes in order to use and compare a browsers I've already binned.

Mar 29, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
I have very fond memories of FF, but once it got slow as molasses, I abandoned it for Safari and Chrome and didn't look back. Now, I'd like to go back, but it will take a lot of coaxing to get me to download another handful of megabytes in order to use and compare a browsers I've already binned.

I think clearing your history (esp. cache) on at least a monthly basis is good maintenance and can help keep FF from getting slow. Someone please correct me if this is not true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back