Firefox 1.0 Released
Nov 10, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19lexicon78
just downloaded opera. i don't like it as much as 5-6 years ago. more adds...but this browser is much faster than mozilla

Not for me. I've tried one of the newer version of Opera and it is definitely the slowest browser on my system (slower than IE or Firefox). I also don't like how the free version has ads, unlike Firefox.

But it's a nice alternative to IE.

Nov 10, 2004 at 11:00 PM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
Before you switch back, try this... open up Firefox, and in the address bar, type "about:config", sans quotes. In the "Filter" line that opens below the address bar, type "Pipelining", again, sans quotes. Double-click network.http.pipelining so it says true. Do the same for network.http.proxy.pipelining. Double-click network.http.pipelining.maxrequests, and set the value to 8.

Now restart the browser, and tell me if you don't notice a speed difference.

2 things...

1 - The Firefox page that describes that trick recommends a value of 100 for network.http.pipelining.maxrequests...where did you come up with 8?

2 - That same Firefox page says "Pipelining is an experimental feature, designed to improve page-load performance, that is unfortunately not well supported by some web servers and proxies." My question is, if you browse to a server that doesn't support pipelining, what happens? Is there just no speed increase, or does the page not load or have problems loading until you disable those settings?

Also, for another speed increase, here's another trick:

Speed up page rendering

By default, Firefox doesn't try to render a web page for 250 milliseconds, because it's waiting for data. If you add the code below to your user.js file, Firefox immediately tries to render the page, even without complete data. The drawback is on slower machines where doing a "reflow" may actually cause the total page load time to be longer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Firefox team
// This one makes a huge difference. Last value in milliseconds (default is 250)
user_pref("nglayout.initialpaint.delay", 0);

Try it and see what you guys think.

Nov 11, 2004 at 4:45 AM Post #33 of 38
Last time I looked at the documentation for Pipelining was when it was first released; I believe that was Firebird 0.6 or so. 8 was the recommended number then. Wasn't aware it had jumped. There definitely is an improvement.

As for your second question, absolutely nothing. Just loads slower than if it was enabled. So there's absolutely no harm in enabling it.

As for AdBlock, since people have mentioned it... completely evil. Completely FUBAR'd my setup so Suprnova doesn't load. Even after I removed all filters, disabled it, and uninstalled it, it *still* won't load. Grr... C'mon, people, how intrusive are banner ads?

Nov 11, 2004 at 5:08 AM Post #34 of 38
The only thing I can't seem to find is how to force a new tab to open when i click on certain links instead of opening a new page. In the help menu it lists this as an option, but when I go to look in "options" where it is supposed to be, it does not exist. Anyone else see this?

Nov 11, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #35 of 38
Any kind of spellchecker extension for FireFox 1.0 out there?

Nov 11, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
Last time I looked at the documentation for Pipelining was when it was first released; I believe that was Firebird 0.6 or so. 8 was the recommended number then. Wasn't aware it had jumped. There definitely is an improvement.

As for your second question, absolutely nothing. Just loads slower than if it was enabled. So there's absolutely no harm in enabling it.

As for AdBlock, since people have mentioned it... completely evil. Completely FUBAR'd my setup so Suprnova doesn't load. Even after I removed all filters, disabled it, and uninstalled it, it *still* won't load. Grr... C'mon, people, how intrusive are banner ads?

Out of curiosity, is this addition to userContent.css exactly the same as AdBlock? It's what I use (I don't have adblock installed) and it works beautifully.

Nov 11, 2004 at 7:26 AM Post #37 of 38
Essentially, yes. Blocks most of the major ad providers, stops images from forcing themselves over other page elements, etc. etc.

Really, though, I don't mind ads all that much. Pop-ups/unders I hate with a passion, and Firefox's built-in protection works wonderfully. But banner ads, I see no reason to kill. Now adays they're actually getting somewhat relevant to page content, and I'm actually interested in the product some of the time.

Nov 11, 2004 at 11:20 AM Post #38 of 38
so far so good...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back