Firefox 1.0 Released
Nov 9, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 38
My cool extensions don't work anymore
frown.gif
, for example Super DragAndGo.

Other than that, it's great!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 38
Actually, I was unable to do so. Even with modifying about:config, extensions.rdf, what-have-you, Mouse Gestures still won't work. BTW, the Mozilla site is hammered. Can't even access it. There's a mirror here; note that it has a torrent. Use the torrent, people. So much better for everyone. Speedy, too... I was getting about 100KBPS down. Leave it running for awhile if you don't mind, to share the goodness
biggrin.gif

EDIT: I just installed 1.0 on a different box (my main Athlon XP one), and all my extensions worked fine. Mouse Gestures, URI id, GMail Notifier... odd. Mouse Gestures is the only one installed on the other box, and it had the same version, 1.0. I didn't do anything differently on this one. No idea why it worked.

Nov 9, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
Actually, I was unable to do so. Even with modifying about:config, extensions.rdf, what-have-you, Mouse Gestures still won't work. BTW, the Mozilla site is hammered. Can't even access it. There's a mirror here; note that it has a torrent. Use the torrent, people. So much better for everyone. Speedy, too... I was getting about 100KBPS down. Leave it running for awhile if you don't mind, to share the goodness
biggrin.gif

Modifying extensions.rdf worked for me.

EDIT: Ah, I see it now works for you! Good news
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 38
I just downloaded it at work @ ~ 5Mbps direct from the mozilla.org. It downloaded in less than 1 second!
smily_headphones1.gif
I've been using the PR release here and the RC1 and RC2 releases at home. I use the adblock, foxytunes and weatherfox extensions but I miss the Google extension and Quite theme. I'll send it to my home's FTP now.
smily_headphones1.gif
I love Mozilla.

Nov 9, 2004 at 8:51 PM Post #9 of 38
Well, PR and RC versions usually have some bugs in them. Hence, 'Pre Release' and 'Release Candidate'. Will you notice much? Likely not. But c'mon, you know you want it to say 1.0
biggrin.gif
Besides, you can install right over the top and you lose absolutely nothing. Settings, bookmarks, extensions... all there.

As for browser statistics... anyone who had access to the site's control panel (read: Jude) could easily find that out. I don't think there's any web services that let you access those, though.

Nov 9, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 38
just got it.....1h ago..

i am playing with the "live bookmarks" thingy...i got it to work for reuters but not for yahoo
confused.gif
..any RSS experts around?

the click to see flash and drag and drop extensions do not work anymore ...that seems to be the main difference for me until now

Nov 9, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
Well, PR and RC versions usually have some bugs in them. Hence, 'Pre Release' and 'Release Candidate'. Will you notice much? Likely not. But c'mon, you know you want it to say 1.0
biggrin.gif
Besides, you can install right over the top and you lose absolutely nothing. Settings, bookmarks, extensions... all there.

Oh don't get me wrong; I actually had the new version downloaded by the time I typed that post. I was just hoping that someone would pop in and say "WOW, the 1.0 official release r0x0rz!!!11 I was using 1.0 RC and the 1.0 official is working so much better for me!"

Of course I was going to upgrade anyway...I have been with Firefox since before it was Firefox. I started using it when they were still calling it Firebird.
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by mustang
Hmm is there any way to see the % of Firefox and IE users on head-fi? I'd be curious to see those statistics...

Send Jude a PM. Generally webservers keep track of what browser and OS people use and can make a nice little report.

I started using Mozilla quite a long time back, but still used IE mainly because I was so used to it. I switched to Firefox exclusively a few months ago and it seems so much nicer than IE.

I am still using Firefox 0.9.3 and have had 0 problems with it. Is there any reason to upgrade?

Nov 9, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #13 of 38
Yay. I just got it. If anything, my web browsing is faster. But then again, the older Firefox Preview Release was slower than IE for me on some sites. But now it's solved! It's a bit disappointing that the extensions don't work anymore, but I really like the increased speed. The older Firefox seemed almost buggy to me, the way that it took longer for pages to load.

Nov 9, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #14 of 38
Ok it`s cool to see 1.0. Let`s do it than.
Let`s upgrade this baby
600smile.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by mekanoplastik
i am playing with the "live bookmarks" thingy...i got it to work for reuters but not for yahoo ..any RSS experts around?

I couldn't get Yahoo's RSS feed to work either. Methinks it's because they've got the topics split into individual feeds, and Firefox is having trouble dealing with that. Live Bookmarks are a new feature; give 'em time. 'Tis a pity, as Fark does much the same. I'd love to have Fark's feed
biggrin.gif
As it is, I've got Slashdot, The Register, and Dan's Data.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
Oh don't get me wrong; I actually had the new version downloaded by the time I typed that post. I was just hoping that someone would pop in and say "WOW, the 1.0 official release r0x0rz!!!11 I was using 1.0 RC and the 1.0 official is working so much better for me!"

Of course I was going to upgrade anyway...I have been with Firefox since before it was Firefox. I started using it when they were still calling it Firebird.

Ah ha. Well, I skipped the RC, so I can't comment much. I heard people had problems with it. The PR was fine, IMO. I didn't see any difference between it an 0.9.3. As for historical usage... I was using it when it was still called Phoenix, 0.5
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back