Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Sep 19, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #5,162 of 6,364
Hello everyone,

I would just like to ask if anyone has some experience with the XE6 or Radon 6 (CIEM preferably) kinetic bass technologies in noisy public spaces / performance venues?

I am a touring dj who would also like to have good quality sound on the go (casual listening).

However, I cannot find much information on whether this ported design of the kinetic bass will be greatly affected by noisy environments, such as cafes, trains, and more importantly, super bassy and loud night clubs where I would like these IEMS to hold their ground.

Second question, if anyone has used the CIEM versions, how is the passive sound isolation on these?

If anyone has some experience of them in live/performance settings, would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance
Can't comment on very loud environments like a live show or a club, but I use my Xe6 CIEM out and around a lot, on the train, walking near busy streets and other moderately loud ambient environments, and the snug fit of the custom does isolate very well. I'm never distracted by any other external noise really, and can get pretty lost in my own private "music bubble". This is with the silver ATOM module's 15db of passive isolation, the gold one would give you 17db.

I do recall from my demo of the universal that it did not isolate very well at all, probably wasn't getting near as good a fit as I do with the custom, so that kinetic bass port was not pressed right up against my ears as well and leaked in a bit more outside noise.

Another thing, tho, is that the massive quantity of bass that you get with either the Rn6 or (more especially) with the Xe6, does help to mask out external noise as well.

Sep 22, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #5,163 of 6,364
Hi, it's not really an issue, just that if you're used to 'smooth' surfaces, the matte finish might take a little getting used to. It's a little trickier to fit, but once it's in, it sits firm and feels great. It definitely does look cool though!

+1
Just recently received my matte RN6 and can confirm this!

Sep 22, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #5,165 of 6,364
Sep 22, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #5,168 of 6,364
Mine is near 6 weeks now, the wait is the hardest part…
Mine finished in 4, but I believe they were waiting for the stock cable so that added another 2 weeks

Sep 23, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #5,169 of 6,364
How does it work. You order a CIEM, and than you have to send a 3D image of your ears or something?
Pretty much.

You can visit any audiologist who might also prescribe hearing aids, they will most likely have the kit necessary to take 3D moulds of your ears, or take 3D scans. Send those in along with your order to FiR, wait 4-6 weeks and your CIEMs will be sent to you. This process will be much easier if you work with a local FiR reseller, especially if you have to send back and forth for any refits, although you can probably do it direct with them.

This post by @Tokpakorlo contains an excellent description of how he went about getting his first 64Audio CIEM, I found it an excellent primer on the subject, and gained confidence that the whole process should go smoothly:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/my-...-64-audio-nio-u12t-trio-u18t-and-u18s.957379/

FiR proviide their own handy FAQ here:
https://www.firaudio.com/how_to_order

If you're willing to commit long-term to a specific TOTL IEM that you like, then CIEM is a great way to go. Good luck!

Sep 24, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #5,170 of 6,364
Pretty much.

You can visit any audiologist who might also prescribe hearing aids, they will most likely have the kit necessary to take 3D moulds of your ears, or take 3D scans. Send those in along with your order to FiR, wait 4-6 weeks and your CIEMs will be sent to you. This process will be much easier if you work with a local FiR reseller, especially if you have to send back and forth for any refits, although you can probably do it direct with them.

This post by @Tokpakorlo contains an excellent description of how he went about getting his first 64Audio CIEM, I found it an excellent primer on the subject, and gained confidence that the whole process should go smoothly:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/my-...-64-audio-nio-u12t-trio-u18t-and-u18s.957379/

FiR proviide their own handy FAQ here:
https://www.firaudio.com/how_to_order

If you're willing to commit long-term to a specific TOTL IEM that you like, then CIEM is a great way to go. Good luck!
Tokpakorlo had a great experience with 64audio. I hope Fir works the same way

Sep 26, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #5,171 of 6,364
Hey everyone! considering one of the fir iems (kr5/rn6) but wonder how they are in terms of midbass?

By the graph (if it's representative) it looks the kr5 has too much midbass bloat that might mask midrange technicalities and vocals. For people that enjoy midrange (on top of bass), do you find that to be true?

And how do kr5/rn6 compare in terms of midrange?

Sep 27, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #5,172 of 6,364
#TeamStock may have met its match with ET's Raphael.

Mids are a bit more higher with a forward presentation and clarity in details. Treble sounds smooth and natural. Soundstage sounds lush and holographic with Cayin's latest N30LE in Hyper Mode (Class A) / H gain / Tube Classic timbre.

IMG_0434.png

Sep 27, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #5,173 of 6,364
I ordered the Coreair brass and SpinFit W1 and got them today. W1 is very good but I prefer the AEX50 a bit. But man these Coreair Brass expands the soundstage and get you bass shaking moments amazing!
Also my Fourte Blanc never sounded better then with Coreair brass!
COREIR - the greatest tips with Xe6 I have ever used.
No issue with fit, but ofc they don't sit as secure on the nozzles as W1.
But improvement with the sound quality really compensates any trouble.

When my current pair will end their life I will remove the brass inserts,
make them slightly shorter and experiment inside other tips.

Sep 28, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #5,174 of 6,364
#TeamStock may have met its match with ET's Raphael.

Mids are a bit more higher with a forward presentation and clarity in details. Treble sounds smooth and natural. Soundstage sounds lush and holographic with Cayin's latest N30LE in Hyper Mode (Class A) / H gain / Tube Classic timbre.

IMG_0434.png
That matchup looks like 🔥 Almost made for each other. I have Raphael incoming and can't wait to pair it up with Rn6.

Sep 28, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #5,175 of 6,364
COREIR - the greatest tips with Xe6 I have ever used.
No issue with fit, but ofc they don't sit as secure on the nozzles as W1.
But improvement with the sound quality really compensates any trouble.

When my current pair will end their life I will remove the brass inserts,
make them slightly shorter and experiment inside other tips.
I tried them and hated it...the kinetic bass got pushed a few millimeters back from my concha which changed things for the worse. Having great luck with azla tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back