Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Sep 14, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #5,146 of 6,404
When I auditioned the Xe6 and Rn6 it was strange because I found the Rn6 comparatively more shrill/piercing to my ears. Based on the FRCs I would have expected the opposite. The Xe6 sounded less sibilant. Anyone have any explanation as to why that would be the case?

Both were great don't get me wrong, but with the music I tested it was a clear win for the Xe6.
Very posibble, especially if you like your audio with some low end heft, that you're either compensating for getting enough low end on the Rn6 by turning up the volume higher (making any mid & highs louder, as well) and/or the low end in the Xe6 increases your perception of loudness (meaning you don't have to turn it up as much as Rn6 to get enough low end). Effectively meaning the Rn6 frequencies that you perceive as shrill ARE actually higher in level when you listen to the Rn6 versus the Xe6. The difference in frequency response of the two may be relatively small compared to the difference in loudness you prefer for each specific one when you listen to it.

Sep 14, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #5,147 of 6,404
Very posibble, especially if you like your audio with some low end heft, that you're either compensating for getting enough low end on the Rn6 by turning up the volume higher (making any mid & highs louder, as well) and/or the low end in the Xe6 increases your perception of loudness (meaning you don't have to turn it up as much as Rn6 to get enough low end). Effectively meaning the Rn6 frequencies that you perceive as shrill ARE actually higher in level when you listen to the Rn6 versus the Xe6. The difference in frequency response of the two may be relatively small compared to the difference in loudness you prefer for each specific one when you listen to it.

I dont remember the atom module its whatever was loaded up stock. The FIR guys would have to tell me!

Its possible that I cranked up the volume but I do not think so. I don't think I changed the volume and total loudness even of vocal only tracks were the same. Something just sounded more sibilant to my ears. Mind you I am splitting hairs here.

Sep 14, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #5,148 of 6,404
I dont remember the atom module its whatever was loaded up stock. The FIR guys would have to tell me!

Its possible that I cranked up the volume but I do not think so. I don't think I changed the volume and total loudness even of vocal only tracks were the same. Something just sounded more sibilant to my ears. Mind you I am splitting hairs here.
Rn6 has slightly more forward treble than Xe6 in certain frequencies (though to my ears it's still very refined rather than harsh), but it also has far less midbass and lower mids than Xe6. The extra warmth and 'veil' (for want of a better word) from the elevated midbass/lower mids gives Xe6's treble a smoother perception relative to Rn6, while Rn6 is comparatibvely clearer and more transparent, and so less forgiving of any sibilants in the recording or even poor recording quality, compared to Xe6 anyway. Just my 0.02, having spent many, many hours with both in both universal and custom formats.

Sep 14, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #5,150 of 6,404
When I auditioned the Xe6 and Rn6 it was strange because I found the Rn6 comparatively more shrill/piercing to my ears. Based on the FRCs I would have expected the opposite. The Xe6 sounded less sibilant. Anyone have any explanation as to why that would be the case?

Both were great don't get me wrong, but with the music I tested it was a clear win for the Xe6.
Can't imagine how either could be sibilant tbh. So unsure there.

Sep 15, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #5,151 of 6,404
I finally have a RN6 coming my way to replace my KR5 (which I like a lot, save for its recessed mids);
Will be pairing it with a SP3000- anyone with the same combo? Wondering whether the PA10 amp by A&K will make a big enough difference with the RN6.

Sep 15, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #5,152 of 6,404
I finally have a RN6 coming my way to replace my KR5 (which I like a lot, save for its recessed mids);
Will be pairing it with a SP3000- anyone with the same combo? Wondering whether the PA10 amp by A&K will make a big enough difference with the RN6.
No, it won't.

Aim higher or just run off the SP straight.

Sep 19, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #5,153 of 6,404
Hi all - question to any who has tried the Rn6 in its universal and custom forms. How much of a difference, sound-wise, does the custom make? I know it might change from person to person, but considering it as my first CIEM purchase (if they don't sell out), so would appreciate any insight!

Sep 19, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #5,154 of 6,404
Hi all - question to any who has tried the Rn6 in its universal and custom forms. How much of a difference, sound-wise, does the custom make? I know it might change from person to person, but considering it as my first CIEM purchase (if they don't sell out), so would appreciate any insight!
I don't find the sound between the two very different. Some pros and cons:

CIEM:

> much better isolation than the uni, although with the right tips, uni can isolate too.

> much bigger, though moulded to your ear shape (pro or con, depending on user)

> matte custom finish can take some getting used to (choose gloss finish if you're unsure or have very sensitive ear skin)

> full size ATOM modules are MUCH easier to work with

> fit is dependent on really good impressions. Expect to possibly have to rework the fit once or even twice.

> depending on ear shape and size, you'll feel these in your ears more than you would the uni, if you get a really good fit with the uni.

> easier to get a good seal, and better sound, if the customs fit well.

Uni:

> most important pro - can tweak the sound with tip selection. Can't do this with the custom.

> comfort can be better than custom IF you get a good fit with comfortable tips. YMMV

> smaller and lighter, much less intrusive than customs

> won't isolate quite as well

> kinetic bass effectiveness will depend on fit, whereas with CIEM it's always optimal.

Hope this helps.

Sep 19, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #5,155 of 6,404

CIEM:

> much better isolation than the uni, although with the right tips, uni can isolate too.

> matte custom finish can take some getting used to (choose gloss finish if you're unsure or have very sensitive ear skin)

> fit is dependent on really good impressions. Expect to possibly have to rework the fit once or even twice.

> depending on ear shape and size, you'll feel these in your ears more than you would the uni, if you get a really good fit with the uni.

Uni:

> most important pro - can tweak the sound with tip selection. Can't do this with the custom.

> comfort can be better than custom IF you get a good fit with comfortable tips. YMMV

> kinetic bass effectiveness will depend on fit, whereas with CIEM it's always optimal.

Hope this helps.
Thank you!! I had never considered a lot of your points here, so this is extremely helpful!!

Sep 19, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #5,156 of 6,404

CIEM:

Uni:

Hope this helps.
I ordered ciem Rn6 as my first ciem with the matte finish as I just thought it looked cool, and now I’m kind of concerned. Can you say more about the matte custom finish and how it could be an issue?

Sep 19, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #5,157 of 6,404
I ordered ciem Rn6 as my first ciem with the matte finish as I just thought it looked cool, and now I’m kind of concerned. Can you say more about the matte custom finish and how it could be an issue?
Hi, it's not really an issue, just that if you're used to 'smooth' surfaces, the matte finish might take a little getting used to. It's a little trickier to fit, but once it's in, it sits firm and feels great. It definitely does look cool though!

Sep 19, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #5,158 of 6,404
Hi, it's not really an issue, just that if you're used to 'smooth' surfaces, the matte finish might take a little getting used to. It's a little trickier to fit, but once it's in, it sits firm and feels great. It definitely does look cool though!
Oh, seems like I just worried too much, thanks for the reply!

Sep 19, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #5,159 of 6,404
Hello everyone,

I would just like to ask if anyone has some experience with the XE6 or Radon 6 (CIEM preferably) kinetic bass technologies in noisy public spaces / performance venues?

I am a touring dj who would also like to have good quality sound on the go (casual listening).

However, I cannot find much information on whether this ported design of the kinetic bass will be greatly affected by noisy environments, such as cafes, trains, and more importantly, super bassy and loud night clubs where I would like these IEMS to hold their ground.

Second question, if anyone has used the CIEM versions, how is the passive sound isolation on these?

If anyone has some experience of them in live/performance settings, would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Sep 19, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #5,160 of 6,404
I ordered the Coreair brass and SpinFit W1 and got them today. W1 is very good but I prefer the AEX50 a bit. But man these Coreair Brass expands the soundstage and get you bass shaking moments amazing!
Also my Fourte Blanc never sounded better then with Coreair brass!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back