Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Aug 29, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #5,056 of 6,366
Thanks to Wilson from Jaben Singapore, the AD for FIR in Singapore, I had some time listening to the RN6 and XE6.

Anyone who enjoys their bass will love the XE6. Reminds me of the first time I heard the FitEar MH335DW: bass seems initially to be overwhelming. However, once you come to terms with it, it is actually not bad. The bass, I reckon, adds body to the sound and depth to the soundstage. It’s a bit more 3D in that sense. Listening to Stefanie Sun, actually the details and instrument separation are all there. Which in itself is surprising, because normally with such present bass, you lose the details and separation. Suspect that the treble extension is sacrificed a bit in that the bass offsets it. In fact when I was listening to Stacey Kent, for some of the songs, I actually heard details which previously I had never realised were there.

The RN6, on the other hand, dials back the bass but it is still there. Not so much quantity but quality here. Treble extension is better. It seems to be going for more obvious clarity and upfront details. I think of it as a bit of a middle ground between the XE6 and the KR5 (which went for transparency, clarity and details above all else). It will appeal to folks who are looking for more ”transparent“ or ”audiophile” signature but would like some balance from the bottom end. I guess the RN6 will work better with warmer DAPs or simply if you want more details and bigger soundstage.

I think that at the end of the day, it really depends on what you want from your IEM, what is your source

Listening to Eva Cassidy on NightBird with the RN6: excellent! Sends shivers down the spine with her vocals and the simple guitar playing. I will say that the RN6 really excels with acoustic vocals.

Which do I prefer? Surprisingly the XE6. 🤭 it's like the 335DW. It feels raw yet 3D. It’s more like listening to a live performance. I was listening to Diana Krall on ”Walk On By” and it was exquisite. I honestly did not expect to enjoy the XE6 as much as I have. :)

IMG_9426.jpeg
IMG_9425.jpeg
IMG_9443.jpeg

Aug 29, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #5,057 of 6,366
Thanks to Wilson from Jaben Singapore, the AD for FIR in Singapore, I had some time listening to the RN6 and XE6.

Anyone who enjoys their bass will love the XE6. Reminds me of the first time I heard the FitEar MH335DW: bass seems initially to be overwhelming. However, once you come to terms with it, it is actually not bad. The bass, I reckon, adds body to the sound and depth to the soundstage. It’s a bit more 3D in that sense. Listening to Stefanie Sun, actually the details and instrument separation are all there. Which in itself is surprising, because normally with such present bass, you lose the details and separation. Suspect that the treble extension is sacrificed a bit in that the bass offsets it. In fact when I was listening to Stacey Kent, for some of the songs, I actually heard details which previously I had never realised were there.

The RN6, on the other hand, dials back the bass but it is still there. Not so much quantity but quality here. Treble extension is better. It seems to be going for more obvious clarity and upfront details. I think of it as a bit of a middle ground between the XE6 and the KR5 (which went for transparency, clarity and details above all else). It will appeal to folks who are looking for more ”transparent“ or ”audiophile” signature but would like some balance from the bottom end. I guess the RN6 will work better with warmer DAPs or simply if you want more details and bigger soundstage.

I think that at the end of the day, it really depends on what you want from your IEM, what is your source

Listening to Eva Cassidy on NightBird with the RN6: excellent! Sends shivers down the spine with her vocals and the simple guitar playing. I will say that the RN6 really excels with acoustic vocals.

Which do I prefer? Surprisingly the XE6. 🤭 it's like the 335DW. It feels raw yet 3D. It’s more like listening to a live performance. I was listening to Diana Krall on ”Walk On By” and it was exquisite. I honestly did not expect to enjoy the XE6 as much as I have. :)

Hi, again from Fitear thread. So how does the FiRs compare to say DC Ti's? 🤣 And the 335DW comparison is on spot! I also share the same first impressions of first hearing overwhelming Bass.

Aug 29, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #5,058 of 6,366
I wouldn't fret too much about Crinacle thinks or says. If you have th same preferences then sure go ahead but otherwise I wouldn't care too much. I think it's interesting what others think about certain IEMs that I do or don't like especially if I have an understanding of their preferences and can relate them to my own.
He scored the entire Frontier series in the D’s. Vindictively, from the NE4 down. This is arguably the most celebrated and lauded model line of the past couple of years, initially on the top of everybody’s Canjam impressions lists -pro reviewers and amateur alike- and then on to top marks reviews and IEM of the year lists on the pro review sites, not to mention near-universal glowing amateur reviews.

Regardless of what one’s personal preferences may be, they are objectively superb IEMs. The measurements alone bear that statement out, even if they aren’t one’s cup of tea.

In the D’s. All of them. Alongside $10 earbuds.

I get that everybody hears differently, and everybody has their likes and dislikes, but there is no objective justification for that. He’s either doing it for a kickback, doing it to be different, or deaf as a post.
I don't think this is a great argument though. I have heard the NE4, KR5 and XE6 and I personally wouldn't give any of them higher marks than a B maybe even a C. But that's not because they are objectively bad. I understand why people like them but they have attributes that would prevent me from ever buying any of them and why I won't even bother listening to the RN6. If I have to listen to an IEM to make a judgement then I will relate that to other experiences that I've made. There are a lot of other IEMs that I would chose over any single one of the Fir lineup.

Am I in the minority with my assessment? Maybe. Does that mean that any of the Frontier lineup would get more than a B in my personal ratings? Defintely not.

I mean I hated the Trifecta when I heard it a Hifi Munich and that one is also lauded all over these forums. I personally thought they were a mushy mess. On the other hand the Supermoon that also had it's hype on this forum from the same company is much better IMHO and I can relate to that hype much better.

Aug 29, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #5,061 of 6,366
Hi, again from Fitear thread. So how does the FiRs compare to say DC Ti's? 🤣 And the 335DW comparison is on spot! I also share the same first impressions of first hearing overwhelming Bass.

Hey man! I think the DC Ti has more treble extension and bigger soundstage than the XE6. The DC Ti bass is perhaps not as overwhelming at first listen. :) Have you tried the FitEar DC Ti? If not, do give it a listen if you are able to.

Aug 29, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #5,062 of 6,366
Hey man! I think the DC Ti has more treble extension and bigger soundstage than the XE6. The DC Ti bass is perhaps not as overwhelming at first listen. :) Have you tried the FitEar DC Ti? If not, do give it a listen if you are able to.

That was very interesting! Will visit my local shop soon for a listen.

Aug 29, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #5,063 of 6,366
That was very interesting! Will visit my local shop soon for a listen.
Yes, you should. FitEar DC Ti is great. If they have DC, you should give that a listen as well. :)

Aug 30, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #5,064 of 6,366
I mean I hated the Trifecta when I heard it a Hifi Munich and that one is also lauded all over these forums. I

Unsure there is universal like or dislike anymore than other expensive limited runs? The likes are mostly a couple of vocal forum influencers far as I can tell. Still available for sale one year later says it all imo. Rather have Nightjar Acoustics, Final Audio or Sennheiser if "dynamic driver" iem is a must

As for the other posts about Crin, it is written up front that different opinions are okay and the rankings seem consistent in the context of the stated purpose. That is why, for example - not exhaustive, the Legend X is not S rank despite being a guilty pleasure (or at least it was at one point for Crin)

The Xe6 might have some things going for it to fans but not exactly a unique opinion it is not for everyone and that is (and should be) okay 😎

Aug 30, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #5,065 of 6,366
Unsure there is universal like or dislike anymore than other expensive limited runs? The likes are mostly a couple of vocal forum influencers far as I can tell.
OT for this thread but you can say the same about the dislikes (vocal forum influencers). And FYI, only the original Trifecta was a limited run. It's now available as an ongoing series with different colourways (hence still available).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back