Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Mar 7, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #2,401 of 6,236
I agree on the great speed and impact of Xe6. Performs surprisingly, and exceptionally, well even with fast metals for a "warm" IEM. I think it comes down to the minimal bass interaction with the mids and treble. The bass will kick and punch and grind along while the rest of the range does its own thing. I don't understand how vocals and instruments can come through so clearly even with such enormous bass.

There's dry and fast Odin, overpowering EVO bass, and relaxed analog bass Traillii. So far, Xe6 is not any of them. My first minute with Xe6 reminded me of Rhapsodio Bomber which I didn't like for overly warm character with funny treble. After a few songs, I could hear the clarity in Xe6 and I'm really enjoying the presentation. This might be the elusive dynamic U18s that I have been searching for :clap:

My take on Xe6 vs Traillii. Traillii stage takes a step back with lighter and wide presentation. Quite a bit lighter if you ask me. It takes adjustment for me to listen to Traillii now :sweat_smile:

There is a strange wonkiness I hear in lower mids once in a while though. Especially with pianos and cellos. I'm still trying to figure this out. Sometimes I feel like I'm listening to the piano with my ear pressed against the body of the piano, if you know what I mean :sweat_smile:
Reading what you write I agree with you: "I don't understand how the voice and the instruments can emerge so clearly even with such a huge bass" ....
on a scale of 0 to 10, how hot do you think Traillii is and how hot do you think XE6 is?

Mar 7, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #2,402 of 6,236
I've listened to Kr5s for a few days now. (DAP: FiiO M11 Plus LDT) And these are some thoughts in random order.
  1. I'm so glad I went the ciem route. The fit is perfect. After a few seconds the monitors almost disappear in my ears. The isolation is very good. On the train this morning I couldn't hear anything but the music. And I was listening on moderate to low volumes. The build quality is excellent. I love the matte finish.
  2. Kinetic bass. Didn't know what to expect. It took me a few days to understand what it does. At first listen the bass doesn't sound any different from "regular", good bass. I have headphones with more bass, the Fostex TH900, but it's not the quantity that defines kinetic bass, it's more how and when it's delivered. For example. I can hear the physical slam of drums on much lower volumes than other iems/headphones. On some songs I can almost feel the bass vibrate in my lower throat and sternum. (Not in an uncomfortable way. Just a subtle feeling.) The bass is fast and lean and with plenty of details. Very far from bloated. There's one word that comes to mind a lot: physical. I really feel the instruments. I play keyboard in a indie band. And when we rehears I stand 3 meters from the drummer. That is what drum sounds on my Kr5s. They sound like you're in the room with the real thing. Impressive.
  3. Atom venting. This feature alone is a reason to choose FIR audio. I've listened many more hours than I'm used to before I feel like taking a break. I've tried the different modules (super easy to change on ciem. Just use your fingernails.), but I've not noticed a huge difference between them. It might be that the songs I listened to didn't show the difference in a clear way, or maybe I need more time with each module to notice the difference, but it's not night and day. I use gold module now, basically "because it's all about that bass..."
  4. Midrange. I don't have anything particular to say here. Just that I'm so happy to finally have an in ear monitor that doesn't require EQ to sound good. Perfect tuning for my taste.
  5. Treble. Some people have stated that the Kr5s are bright. I don't know what planet they are living on. We certainly don't have the same ears. The treble is very detailed and sparkly. I think the treble contributes much to the soundstage. It feels so airy and big when you can hear the decay of cymbal crashes, hi hats and ride cymbals. But it NEVER feels harsh in any way. I've listened to albums I know is brightly mixed, and even then they are within my tolerance threshold.
  6. Conclusion. New toy syndrome is a real thing. I want my latest purchase to be a good one, and of course I'm looking for confirmation in everything I listen to. I'v listened to every genre from Metal to Mahler and Metheny. (At least the genres I like.) I love to revisit albums I know really well, like Pink Floyd's The Wall. (Wow, that album sounds really, really good with the Kr5s). The thing is that not every song is a earth shattering sonic revelation or wow moment. It really depends on the mix. Sometimes they just sound like good balanced iems and you disappear into the music. But every now and then there's a moment when you feel the hairs on your arm raise and a wave of ASMR is rolling over you like a tidal wave of pure joy. These monitors give me that feeling more often than on any other headphone or iem I've had. Maybe it´s new toy syndrome. But for now I'm just enjoying the endrophine ride.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #2,404 of 6,236
I've listened to Kr5s for a few days now. And these are some thoughts in random order.
  1. I'm so glad I went the ciem route. The fit is perfect. After a few seconds the monitors almost disappear in my ears. The isolation is very good. On the train this morning I couldn't hear anything but the music. And I was listening on moderate to low volumes. The build quality is excellent. I love the matte finish.
  2. Kinetic bass. Didn't know what to expect. It took me a few days to understand what it does. At first listen the bass doesn't sound any different from "regular", good bass. I have headphones with more bass, the Fostex TH900, but it's not the quantity that defines kinetic bass, it's more how and when it's delivered. For example. I can hear the physical slam of drums on much lower volumes than other iems/headphones. On some songs I can almost feel the bass vibrate in my lower throat and sternum. (Not in an uncomfortable way. Just a subtle feeling.) The bass is fast and lean and with plenty of details. Very far from bloated. There's one word that comes to mind a lot: physical. I really feel the instruments. I play keyboard in a indie band. And when we rehears I stand 3 meters from the drummer. That is what drum sounds on my Kr5s. They sound like you're in the room with the real thing. Impressive.
  3. Atom venting. This feature alone is a reason to choose FIR audio. I've listened many more hours than I'm used to before I feel like taking a break. I've tried the different modules (super easy to change on ciem. Just use your fingernails.), but I've not noticed a huge difference between them. It might be that the songs I listened to didn't show the difference in a clear way, or maybe I need more time with each module to notice the difference, but it's not night and day. I use gold module now, basically "because it's all about that bass..."
  4. Midrange. I don't have anything particular to say here. Just that I'm so happy to finally have an in ear monitor that doesn't require EQ to sound good. Perfect tuning for my taste.
  5. Treble. Some people have stated that the Kr5s are bright. I don't know what planet they are living on. We certainly don't have the same ears. The treble is very detailed and sparkly. I think the treble contributes much to the soundstage. It feels so airy and big when you can hear the decay of cymbal crashes, hi hats and ride cymbals. But it NEVER feels harsh in any way. I've listened to albums I know is brightly mixed, and even then they are within my tolerance threshold.
  6. Conclusion. New toy syndrome is a real thing. I want my latest purchase to be a good one, and of course I'm looking for confirmation in everything I listen to. I'v listened to every genre from Metal to Mahler and Metheny. (At least the genres I like.) I love to revisit albums I know really well, like Pink Floyd's The Wall. (Wow, that album sounds really, really good with the Kr5s). The thing is that not every song is a earth shattering sonic revelation or wow moment. It really depends on the mix. Sometimes they just sound like good balanced iems and you disappear into the music. But every now and then there's a moment when you feel the hairs on your arm raise and a wave of ASMR is rolling over you like a tidal wave of pure joy. These monitors give me that feeling more often than on any other headphone or iem I've had. Maybe it´s new toy syndrome. But for now I'm just enjoying the endrophine ride.
Cannot agree more on point 3. After having used 64 and FiR almost exclusively for a few years now, the pressure build up in other monitors is just so apparent, especially on those all day in the office sessions.

The treble thing... I only really experienced it with the UIEM and I think it might be a fit thing - haven't come across anyone with a CIEM that found the treble overly bright

Mar 7, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #2,405 of 6,236
Mar 7, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #2,406 of 6,236
I haven't heard that one. I'll check it out. I wonder how the piano sounds on this one with Xe6...
Listening to this music now noticing two things as I sit and wait for car service at the dealer.

1) XE6 does not isolate well, unfortunately, almost open back head phone amounts of back ground coming in. I am using XELASTEC tips because of the sets weight, this keeps for me the right ear from falling out that could be part of the reason.

2) On a stripped down acoustic duo recording like Steal Away the double bass is wonderful. The piano which in this music stays one or two octaves left and right of middle C. The playing is slow melodic and with great expression, the beginning of the track It’s me Oh Lord, Coming in the Need of Prayer, starts out low, and has a very nice simple melody down there this comes through wonderfully as it than is anchored by Charlie’s bass line. The accents that Hank’s right hand plays hits several octaves higher and blend marvelously moving to the forefront at a higher perceived volume level. Some grunts musically accenting, likely Hank, also sit well behind the piano’s high notes. The Piano sounds very coherent to me and clean with excellent presence.

I am not a religious person, this album is the closest I am likely to get today to going to church, this because of the memories listening to it pulls forward. I see the faces smiles and feel the spirit of my long ago past grand parents and the priests I knew as a child.

Player L&P P6Pro XE6 with stock cable.
Album Steal Away, Charlie Haden and Hank Jones.

Edit 3) I feel as though I am standing above Hank’s shoulders center piano, with Charlie directly behind me.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #2,407 of 6,236
Regarding isolation of XE 6, maybe for quieter acoustic music tracks they don't isolate very well, but for pop EDM louder tracks the isolation is very good Imho
Certainly, XE 6 is not the IEM to walk around the town. It's more for in house listening.The shell and the wights reminds me the Sony Z1R?

Mar 8, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #2,408 of 6,236
@aaf evo

Hi, so how are you? Already have more opinion between KR5 and XE6? Unfortunately I'm going through a difficult time, I was diagnosed with cancer, and I'm going to have chemotherapy, but I still like to read opinions here on the forum, to see if one day I can have a KR5 or XE6 this helps me to pass the time. . ..

Mar 8, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #2,409 of 6,236
@aaf evo

Hi, so how are you? Already have more opinion between KR5 and XE6? Unfortunately I'm going through a difficult time, I was diagnosed with cancer, and I'm going to have chemotherapy, but I still like to read opinions here on the forum, to see if one day I can have a KR5 or XE6 this helps me to pass the time. . ..
May God be with you and help you. I really wish you so from my heart.

Mar 8, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #2,410 of 6,236
Reading what you write I agree with you: "I don't understand how the voice and the instruments can emerge so clearly even with such a huge bass" ....
on a scale of 0 to 10, how hot do you think Traillii is and how hot do you think XE6 is?
It's hard to put numbers :sweat_smile: I would say Traillii is the wide "w" character and Xe6 is the tall and wide "W" character. There's more closer to you. The Xe6 bass does sort of remind me of Z1R bass as far as how enveloped you feel in the air. But it is not at all slow (it can be too) as Z1R.

Mar 8, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #2,411 of 6,236
Listening to this music now noticing two things as I sit and wait for car service at the dealer.

1) XE6 does not isolate well, unfortunately, almost open back head phone amounts of back ground coming in. I am using XELASTEC tips because of the sets weight, this keeps for me the right ear from falling out that could be part of the reason.

2) On a stripped down acoustic duo recording like Steal Away the double bass is wonderful. The piano which in this music stays one or two octaves left and right of middle C. The playing is slow melodic and with great expression, the beginning of the track It’s me Oh Lord, Coming in the Need of Prayer, starts out low, and has a very nice simple melody down there this comes through wonderfully as it than is anchored by Charlie’s bass line. The accents that Hank’s right hand plays hits several octaves higher and blend marvelously moving to the forefront at a higher perceived volume level. Some grunts musically accenting, likely Hank, also sit well behind the piano’s high notes. The Piano sounds very coherent to me and clean with excellent presence.

I am not a religious person, this album is the closest I am likely to get today to going to church, this because of the memories listening to it pulls forward. I see the faces smiles and feel the spirit of my long ago past grand parents and the priests I knew as a child.

Player L&P P6Pro XE6 with stock cable.
Album Steal Away, Charlie Haden and Hank Jones.

Edit 3) I feel as though I am standing above Hank’s shoulders center piano, with Charlie directly behind me.

Somehow I'm ok with the isolation. Mason and Traillii feel worse to me. Perhaps the acrylic shells transmit more than the metal shells. I get a good seal with Xe6 (feels very similar to U18s to me).

I am usually on the silver module but, interestingly, I am also ok with the gold module. I actually like the black background with the gold module. I don't feel like I'm gaining too much or losing too much in terms of tonal balance. One might think that a higher isolation module will get boomier but it does not.

On this Charlie's album, the religious aspect didn't even occur to me until you mentioned it, haha :sweat_smile: Most of the songs are so frequently played in folk music circles (and jazz), so I was really enjoying the arrangements. Charlie's bass really shows the difference between Traillii's BA bass vs the dynamic+kinetic Xe6 bass. Xe6 has so much more reality. From the zing of the string, attack, fret buzz, body vibration, etc... so much texture in it. It's not a jazz lounge listening where your main goal is to drink and chat. That's Traillii. With Xe6, I'm sitting front row at Village Vanguard feeling the breath of the musicians. Pretty awesome!

Mar 8, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #2,412 of 6,236
It may be down to the tips I was using and it was kind of noisy at the dealer.
Otherwise sounds like we hear it very similar.
I also like the set with much more full and complicated music.
The tests for female vocals also went well for me. Used Lady Blackbird and Diana Krall. Not quite as pushed forward as Elysium or Isabellae though plenty intimate. No sibilance either.

Mar 8, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #2,413 of 6,236
It may be down to the tips I was using and it was kind of noisy at the dealer.
Otherwise sounds like we hear it very similar.
I also like the set with much more full and complicated music.
The tests for female vocals also went well for me. Used Lady Blackbird and Diana Krall. Not quite as pushed forward as Elysium or Isabellae though plenty intimate. No sibilance either.
What tips are you using? I started with Azla Sedna Light Shorts and now using Symbio W peel. Symbio tightens up the bass for me while keeping the rest of the balance.

No sibilance for me too. I was just thinking that the treble is just right to a little bit mild. No splashy overtones or cymbals, etc. I think twister's reverse "J" description fits the bill. For female vocals, again, I enjoy the intimate presentation with Joni Mitchell, Le Ann Rimes, etc. :wink:

Mar 8, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #2,414 of 6,236
What tips are you using? I started with Azla Sedna Light Shorts and now using Symbio W peel. Symbio tightens up the bass for me while keeping the rest of the balance.

No sibilance for me too. I was just thinking that the treble is just right to a little bit mild. No splashy overtones or cymbals, etc. I think twister's reverse "J" description fits the bill. For female vocals, again, I enjoy the intimate presentation with Joni Mitchell, Le Ann Rimes, etc. :wink:
XELASTEC since the right side with the large short kept falling out.

Mar 8, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #2,415 of 6,236
XELASTEC since the right side with the large short kept falling out.
oops yeah you mentioned 🤭 I guess you have to keep trying. I haven't had a good experience with Xelastec... they seem thin and far from isolated too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back