Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Feb 16, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #2,222 of 6,237
Love this design! But dude your ear canal is long!! :p
I think the photo might make it look bigger than it is, I have pretty small ears all around

FCFBE2D0-9E90-400F-B201-F25886302A02.jpeg

Feb 16, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #2,224 of 6,237
But does XE6 have the same detail retrieval, speed, clarity as KR5?
Detail - imo no but if you consider texture as detail, then yes
Speed - ish, it’s by no means a slow IEM, it’s more like a thick and fast sound
Clarity - not even close, the Xe6 generally lacks clarity

Feb 16, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #2,225 of 6,237
A week since they started to build my Kr5 now, but the waiting time is unbearable. So I read your impressions over and over again... 😂 (Keep 'em coming!) What I'm most curious about is how Kr5 stack up against my Audeze LCDi4. I love my i4s, but they are not very practical outside my house or in a room with a TV on... no isolation what so ever. But the soundstage, the separation, the texture... they are so crystal clear they still wow me after having them for five years. Really hope Kr5s are in the same league.

Feb 16, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #2,226 of 6,237
Detail - imo no but if you consider texture as detail, then yes
Speed - ish, it’s by no means a slow IEM, it’s more like a thick and fast sound
Clarity - not even close, the Xe6 generally lacks clarity
Said so to "my taste" you see me more in KR5 than in XE6.
But then XE6 beyond the low and mid-low range, how does it differ from KR5?

Feb 16, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #2,227 of 6,237
Said so to "my taste" you see me more in KR5 than in XE6.
But then XE6 beyond the low and mid-low range, how does it differ from KR5?
I find them almost perfectly complementary. If I had to get 2 IEMs from the current market, it would literally be those two - Kr5 with its focus on middle and upper treble and a more linear/clearer midrange, Xe6 for those darker, thicker sounds that tend to be better in the morning or late evening when I want to take it easy

I can generally blanket recommend the Kr5 because it has a linear, somewhat one-size-fits-all tonality with the biggest stage I’ve experienced in an IEM, excellent dynamics and detail. The Xe6 is one of the most unique IEMs I’ve heard since its tonality is very lower midrange skewed with somewhat “blunted” vocals - it is also very technically able, but it isn’t as noticeable - takes some getting used to.

In general though, if you’re used to IEMs with heightened clarity and more “standard” tonality, go Kr5. If you’re looking to add something warm and thick to the collection, the 6 would be a better idea, and to me outperforms the VE EXT heavily which is the one IEM with a similar tonality from the more recent releases

Feb 16, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #2,228 of 6,237
A week since they started to build my Kr5 now, but the waiting time is unbearable. So I read your impressions over and over again... 😂 (Keep 'em coming!) What I'm most curious about is how Kr5 stack up against my Audeze LCDi4. I love my i4s, but they are not very practical outside my house or in a room with a TV on... no isolation what so ever. But the soundstage, the separation, the texture... they are so crystal clear they still wow me after having them for five years. Really hope Kr5s are in the same league.
Don't compare the i4 to any traditional IEM, else you'll fall flat in a pool of disappointment, trust me, I also have the i4 and I have stopped expectations of that! :)

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #2,229 of 6,237
Don't compare the i4 to any traditional IEM, else you'll fall flat in a pool of disappointment, trust me, I also have the i4 and I have stopped expectations of that! :)
I see what you mean. I guess it's wishful thinking to have a closed iem compete with an open planar headphone (it's more a headphone than iem really). Anyways,.. I'm really looking forward to have great sound on the go as well. I've missed that...

Feb 16, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #2,230 of 6,237
I find them almost perfectly complementary. If I had to get 2 IEMs from the current market, it would literally be those two - Kr5 with its focus on middle and upper treble and a more linear/clearer midrange, Xe6 for those darker, thicker sounds that tend to be better in the morning or late evening when I want to take it easy

I can generally blanket recommend the Kr5 because it has a linear, somewhat one-size-fits-all tonality with the biggest stage I’ve experienced in an IEM, excellent dynamics and detail. The Xe6 is one of the most unique IEMs I’ve heard since its tonality is very lower midrange skewed with somewhat “blunted” vocals - it is also very technically able, but it isn’t as noticeable - takes some getting used to.

In general though, if you’re used to IEMs with heightened clarity and more “standard” tonality, go Kr5. If you’re looking to add something warm and thick to the collection, the 6 would be a better idea, and to me outperforms the VE EXT heavily which is the one IEM with a similar tonality from the more recent releases
Thanks for your opinions ....

Feb 16, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #2,233 of 6,237
@Damz87 Would you say the Phonix and XE6 overlap a lot in their sound signature?
Hmm not really tbh, I think the only overlap is that they’ve both got quite balanced FR tuning but XE6 sounds warmer and has a lot more bass. XE6 sounds more dynamic and exciting, whereas Phonix is more smooth, refined, but a bit more restrained in its dynamism.

Feb 16, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #2,234 of 6,237
Hmm not really tbh, I think the only overlap is that they’ve both got quite balanced FR tuning but XE6 sounds warmer and has a lot more bass. XE6 sounds more dynamic and exciting, whereas Phonix is more smooth, refined, but a bit more restrained in its dynamism.
Great that's a relief then!! Will be keeping them both!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back