Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Feb 6, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #2,071 of 6,237
Finally received my KR5 back couple of days ago and while they were impressive before developing fault. I liked them more than before. Really enjoying them

Could someone confirm what colour atom modules you get with your units and how many pairs? Cheers.
I think the atom XS goes black - silver gold, ranging from like -14 to -16. On the regular atom you get a little more range, from -10 to 17. Currently using the gold 17 on my Kr5

Feb 6, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #2,072 of 6,237
Any Neon 4 units out in the wild? Besides @twister6's preliminary comparison review I haven't seen any impressions on these. Wondering how far "behind" the bigger brothers these are in terms of technicalities.

Feb 6, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #2,073 of 6,237
Any Neon 4 units out in the wild? Besides @twister6's preliminary comparison review I haven't seen any impressions on these. Wondering how far "behind" the bigger brothers these are in terms of technicalities.
The 5 and 6 are so fundamentally different (and oddly complementary), that I’m also really interested in the 4. The new Sony releases are on my radar now, but it’s one of my top IEMs to try once this year’s releases start slowing down

Feb 6, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #2,076 of 6,237
I think a new WM1Z is on the way, maybe a new DMP1Z too but I’m not sure
Yeh the dap rumor i heard. Very curious. Even if i did not like the wm1a at all.

I think the atom XS goes black - silver gold, ranging from like -14 to -16. On the regular atom you get a little more range, from -10 to 17. Currently using the gold 17 on my Kr5
Well with my luck i received gold and 2 silver sets lol. I think i know why. And im sure it will be taken care of fairly quickly.
IMG-20220206-WA0001.jpg

Feb 7, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #2,079 of 6,237
Gold and silver need to put next to each other to see. But black was distinct..
So which one has the least isolation?

Feb 7, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #2,080 of 6,237
So which one has the least isolation?
Looks like the black module has the least amount isolation. Courtesy of @twister6's write up:
  • + Isolation 16dB: gold
  • N Isolation 15dB: silver
  • – Isolation 14dB: black

Feb 8, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #2,081 of 6,237
I'm about to order myself a pair of custom KR5s. (Yay!) BUT I'm not sure if I should choose the R2-Pin or RCX cable connection. I'm not familiar with RCX. I'm not going to be cable rolling a lot, but I might get something like the FiiO UTWS6 wireless bluetooth amplifier, and that connects only to 2-pin or MMCX. From what I'v read here in the forums Fir claims that RCX is much more sturdy. So my choice is either sturdy but not very compatible or fragile and compatible with almost anything... hard choice. Could someone help me out? (Is it possible to service a 2-pin connector on a CIEM if it should break at some point?)

Feb 8, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #2,083 of 6,237
I'm about to order myself a pair of custom KR5s. (Yay!) BUT I'm not sure if I should choose the R2-Pin or RCX cable connection. I'm not familiar with RCX. I'm not going to be cable rolling a lot, but I might get something like the FiiO UTWS6 wireless bluetooth amplifier, and that connects only to 2-pin or MMCX. From what I'v read here in the forums Fir claims that RCX is much more sturdy. So my choice is either sturdy but not very compatible or fragile and compatible with almost anything... hard choice. Could someone help me out? (Is it possible to service a 2-pin connector on a CIEM if it should break at some point?)
They both have the same warranty, and 2pin is just way more broadly used. RCX would make sense if you had no intention on cable rolling and your use case is pretty intense (similar to what an artist would do on stage or gym or whatever)

Feb 8, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #2,084 of 6,237
They both have the same warranty, and 2pin is just way more broadly used. RCX would make sense if you had no intention on cable rolling and your use case is pretty intense (similar to what an artist would do on stage or gym or whatever)
Thanks for chiming in. 2pin it is then. I've had a few ciems and iems with 2pin connector before, and never had any issues. And I'm not going to be active with them. Maybe walking around a bit.

Feb 8, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #2,085 of 6,237
Thanks for chiming in. 2pin it is then. I've had a few ciems and iems with 2pin connector before, and never had any issues. And I'm not going to be active with them. Maybe walking around a bit.
Yeah they can comfortably handle that. @aaf evo takes his to the gym almost daily AFAIK, and I walk my dog with them constantly, sometimes ski with them etc etc - never had any issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back