Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Feb 2, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #2,057 of 6,244
Has subbass improved on Kr5 as well?
I'd say the huge improvement in bass (and the reason I went for a CIEM) is when I'm outside. When I'd walk around the universals would lose their insertion depth and I'd lose most of the lows. I only had the uni for 1-2 days before going custom, so an accurate comparison would be difficult, but the dynamics on the custom are also significantly better - while they were okay/good on the universal, they really stood out to me in the CIEM

Feb 2, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #2,058 of 6,244
I'd say the huge improvement in bass (and the reason I went for a CIEM) is when I'm outside. When I'd walk around the universals would lose their insertion depth and I'd lose most of the lows. I only had the uni for 1-2 days before going custom, so an accurate comparison would be difficult, but the dynamics on the custom are also significantly better - while they were okay/good on the universal, they really stood out to me in the CIEM
Looks like to have a contrast with LX/Layla/A12t, kr5 would be the one.

Feb 2, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #2,059 of 6,244
I'd say so. The A12t has the best treble out of those three IMHO, but none of them really fit the "borderline treble-head" territory. What impresses me most about the Kr5 is that no matter what I put on it, there isn't so much as a hint of sibilance. Takes some serious tuning mastery to put this much treble in an IEM and still avoid all peeks

Feb 2, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #2,060 of 6,244
I'd say so. The A12t has the best treble out of those three IMHO, but none of them really fit the "borderline treble-head" territory. What impresses me most about the Kr5 is that no matter what I put on it, there isn't so much as a hint of sibilance. Takes some serious tuning mastery to put this much treble in an IEM and still avoid all peeks
I agree on treble bit. It is brightly tuned yet neither treble nor upper mids become offensive.

Though from little time i spent with them. i would say it has nothing in common with LX and i only briefly listened to Layla but it came out very different than what KR5 is.

I do need more time with them though. But KR5 is by no mean basshead iem. At least not on sp2000.
Should receive my replacements back shortly to spend proper time with them. Cant wait.

Feb 3, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #2,064 of 6,244
@bogdan belonozhko, a few questions for you if you can help answer: can the CIEM be customized to fit the "Atom XL" side modules and swap around for APEX or ADEL for extra flexibility? What is the cable build like? Is it one of the SCORPION WIRE cables or a new build? Thanks
Atom XL and Apex are interchangeable

64audio-nio-37.jpg

Feb 3, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #2,067 of 6,244
Don't the Fir IEMs use modules called Atom X? I'm asking because their website makes that distinction and seems to indicate that Atom X modules are for Fir IEMs and Atom XL for those of other brands.

The universal Frontier series uses Atom XS (screw type), universal M series does not have removable modules. The custom IEMs for M and Frontier can optionally come with Atom X (compact module) for an extra fee. My question above was more if it's possible to get the custom IEM to use Atom XL instead so that I can switch out for APEX and ADEL modules that I have lying around.

Feb 4, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #2,068 of 6,244
The universal Frontier series uses Atom XS (screw type), universal M series does not have removable modules. The custom IEMs for M and Frontier can optionally come with Atom X (compact module) for an extra fee. My question above was more if it's possible to get the custom IEM to use Atom XL instead so that I can switch out for APEX and ADEL modules that I have lying around.
EDIT: My mistake, we don't offer the XL size for our customs.

Last edited:
FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/
Feb 5, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #2,069 of 6,244
@bogdan belonozhko, a few questions for you if you can help answer: can the CIEM be customized to fit the "Atom XL" side modules and swap around for APEX or ADEL for extra flexibility? What is the cable build like? Is it one of the SCORPION WIRE cables or a new build? Thanks
The Frontier stock cable is in the scorpion C family of wire. The braid and color are new along with the Branded splitter. 4.4mm is also the new standard for those. We only offered XL for 64 remolds. Atom filters offer a wider selection of options with 4 module types.

FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back