Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Jan 13, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #1,907 of 6,363
I have listened and compared KR5 and XE6 with my m5 directly in Moscow showroom and I personally found M5 to be much better (more organic, natural and overall pleasing) than KR5, which had kinda unnatural tuning with exaggerated upper mids.
For me XE6 is an upgrade to M5, they both have a similar tonality, but XE6 is pushing it even further in terms of naturalness and holographic presentation. I also don't find XE6 as a basshead iem.
You now surprised me with your comment.
So do you think in terms of upgrading for those who have the M5 to go to the XE6?

Jan 13, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #1,908 of 6,363
I have listened and compared KR5 and XE6 with my m5 directly in Moscow showroom and I personally found M5 to be much better (more organic, natural and overall pleasing) than KR5, which had kinda unnatural tuning with exaggerated upper mids.
For me XE6 is an upgrade to M5, they both have a similar tonality, but XE6 is pushing it even further in terms of naturalness and holographic presentation. I also don't find XE6 as a basshead iem.
I have no skin in this game as I haven't yet heard the Kr5 or Xe6 (although I certainly hope to as soon as I can), but I just want to mentioned a caution to other Head-Fi'ers reading this.

I'm not in any way disagreeing with @ILyaX and it's great to have someone posting new impressions.

Just to mention that when I 'A/B test' 2 or more IEMs directly against each other, I've personally found that it can lead to some pretty skewed immediate impressions, particularly if there are significant differences in the tunings of each IEM.

For example, if I go from something like Solaris 2020 or EE Phantom (both quite dark, warm, rich and with elevated bass) to something like UM Fusang or MEST Mk I, I'll hear the latter two IEMs as sounding a bit anaemic and weak in the mid-bass and lower mids.
But I wouldn't think of them in that way (at all!) if I'd just spent an hour listening to them without listening to Solaris 2020 or Phantom first.

Ditto going directly from (e.g.) Odin to Solaris 2020; weird/skewed impressions result.

I don't know how similar the sound signatures of the M5 and Kr5 are, but I'd speculate based on your impressions that you might have been encountering this effect I'm describing? What do you think?

Jan 13, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #1,909 of 6,363
As i know you heard prototypes. Not final version of Fir iems.

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #1,914 of 6,363
Custom version??
Just universal for now, I was very tempted by the design and shell. I have a small concern it might be too bright but let’s see. If I love it I might add a Xe6 to my collection as a CIEM, I’d like a FiR custom eventually

Jan 13, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #1,915 of 6,363
Just universal for now, I was very tempted by the design and shell. I have a small concern it might be too bright but let’s see. If I love it I might add a Xe6 to my collection as a CIEM, I’d like a FiR custom eventually
Waiting for your impressions as I'm undecided between Kr5 and Xen 6

Jan 13, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #1,916 of 6,363
Im 1 finger on pulling the trigger too. Not sure whether to go for Ne4 or KR5.

I lile elevated upper mids but there must be a decent compensation in bass. So not sure about its quantity.

Jan 13, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #1,917 of 6,363

As it was mentioned already, those Frontier series units in Moscow showroom from last year were early prototypes that didn't even look like final shells. And the tuning has been changed as well, even Bogdan confirmed that.

Jan 14, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #1,918 of 6,363
Im 1 finger on pulling the trigger too. Not sure whether to go for Ne4 or KR5.

I lile elevated upper mids but there must be a decent compensation in bass. So not sure about its quantity.
I can enjoy elevated upper mids but I need very significant treble compensations myself - otherwise I feel like vocals become overemphasized compared to instruments, while a forward treble response tends to bring things back to level. I also really enjoy really fast and detailed bass with good punch, which is where the Kr5 might shine

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #1,919 of 6,363
Hey
I can enjoy elevated upper mids but I need very significant treble compensations myself - otherwise I feel like vocals become overemphasized compared to instruments, while a forward treble response tends to bring things back to level. I also really enjoy really fast and detailed bass with good punch, which is where the Kr5 might shine
Fair enough. Im a bit different. If treble is taking over upper mids, i find it too splashy.
That said. I dont mind good treble. But certain area peaks are really bothering me even on lower quantities.

Bass wise. I would love something closer to Z1R texture just with better speed and extension. Just not some BA like bass.

Thats why im tossed between. NE4 and KR5.

I dont mind smoother treble. But im worried that neon will have too laid back upper mids. Which was a deal breaker for me on EXT for example, no matter how good the treble was.

Could @twister6 chime in a bit?

Do you think Neon has pulled back upper mids?
Taking Indigo as reference point which model has closer mids presentation, between KR5 and Ne4?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back