Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Mar 26, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #4,127 of 6,244
Has anyone tried the mojo2 or Hugo2 as their amp? Do they pair well with Fir?
In my opinion Mojo2 is rather average with FIR.
iFi Gryphon pairs great.

Mar 26, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #4,129 of 6,244
Do you use the IE match?
Yes, I am using 4.4.

It's a matter of personal taste but for me Mojo2 sounds too flat. You need to EQ a lot to match Mojo2 with the Gryphon.
But for whatever reason it doesn't have the same "magic", it's somehow unengaging.
Gryphon is more enjoyable, especially with XBass.

Questyle M15 also pairs nicely with Xe6, better than Mojo2. Unfortunatelly lacks the great low end the Gryphon has.

Mar 26, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #4,130 of 6,244
I am using Hugo 2 for my XE6 ciem, it is good and achieve all potentials of XE6, and I can’t find any substitution in portable headfi mkt.

Mar 26, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #4,131 of 6,244
i owned h2 and sold it a while back...long before xe6 was around.

now, when i think about how h2 sounded (truly massive staging, incredible detail, a bit analytical - the third reason ultimately led to me deciding to sell,) i can't help but think that h2 would be a spectacular pairing with the xe6.

i would love to check out this combo sometime...

Mar 27, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #4,132 of 6,244
I've been exclusively using the Mojo2 with it. Top notch 🙂

Mar 27, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #4,133 of 6,244
It's a matter of personal taste but for me Mojo2 sounds too flat. You need to EQ a lot to match Mojo2 with the Gryphon.
But for whatever reason it doesn't have the same "magic", it's somehow unengaging.
Gryphon is more enjoyable, especially with XBass.

Thanks, I'm happy to read that you enjoy it :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 28, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #4,134 of 6,244
Did anyone try the Xe6 with any if the Kinera cables (Rum, Leyding or Dromi)?
How do they perform sonically against the stoke cable?

Thanks
Hi, I originally replaced the stock cable (which I found uncomfortable to use) and replaced with a Kinera Leyding which made no noticeable difference to the sound, just my comfort. Have since replaced the Leyding with a Eletech Fortitude (pure copper rather than silver plated copper) which made the tone a little warmer. Easily corrected by changing the module down a set, if you so choose.

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #4,135 of 6,244
Finally found the endgame cable for my Xe6.
It is a custom made Neotech 4W cable comprised of Silver + Palladium alloy. 1.5 meter, terminated by 4.4mm balance and 2 pin connectors.

Resilient and High quality soldering, as welk as overall appearance.

Noticable sound improvment over the original Xe6 cable, both separation and stage.

It was made by HifiConnect (Israel)
https://hificonnect.com/

Paid for 4W, 1.5m long cable ~ 480$usd.

Attachments

• 1680002717401.jpg
    1680002717401.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 1680002909938.jpg
    1680002909938.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 1680002956434.jpg
    1680002956434.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #4,136 of 6,244
Thanks, I'm happy to read that you enjoy it :)
Yes, I am a huge fan of Gryphon :)

Pity iFi GoBar is so problematic with an iPhone - couldn't make it work (power issues no matter the USB cable used) and it would be my ideal setup for travel. Also great with FIR.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #4,137 of 6,244
Here's a very rudimentary, poor hand model, lighting, etc quick-n-dirty FiR ATOM XS module swap I made for @metaljem77 this morning. Will reshoot in the future with better backdrop, lighting, quality, key steps, etc. until then enjoy!

cc @bogdan belonozhko

Couple of notes before you get started:
  • Recommend swapping modules over a dark colored microfiber cloth or soft surface to reduce the possibility of a module bouncing away if you accidentally drop it, LOL – this has happened to me in the past and it's no fun searching for a tiny module on a hardwood floor, stone countertop, etc.
  • Atom XS modules are physically threaded and the threads are there to help backing the module out of the IEM shell's receiving pipe
  • The receiving pipe in the IEM shell is a "soft thread", meaning it has no threads and can't strip, so no worries about over turning
  • Use module tool to insert and align the module into the receiving pipe and then simply and slowly press the module in until it's flush with the shell

Removing ATOM XS modules:
  1. Insert tool into module
  2. Using a turn and pulling motion, turn the tool counter clockwise while gently pulling out the module
  3. Continue until the module is extracted
  4. Or if the module is half way out or more, you could use a silicone tipped tweezer, or if you have long enough fingernails, to extract the remainder of the module
Inserting ATOM XS modules:
  1. Insert tool into module
  2. Align the module with receiving pipe
  3. Use gentle clockwise rotation and pressure to insert the module
  4. Half or [art of the way, you can use your finger to gently press the remainder of the module until it's flush with IEM shell or the last thread slightly sticking out

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #4,138 of 6,244
I think the gold modules will live in my Rn6 for the foreseeable future. I'm really liking the slight boost in overall warmth and bass presence it provides compared to the red modules. Haven't bothered trying silver or black as I have a feeling I wouldn't hear much / any difference with those. I initially thought the stage was slightly flatter and less spherical with the golds but I've run through a number of albums and find the stage to be very wide so I think it's a non-issue after some brain adjustment.

I keep coming back to descriptors like clarity, space, and detail with touches of warmth when I listen and I think those are the hallmarks of the Rn6 (to my ears). All built atop a deep reaching subbass than can rumble like hell when called on. For my preferred music genre, metal and it's myriad spinoffs, this tuning works really friggin well. Fast bass kicks stand apart hit to hit but carry life like levels of weight and oomph. Guitars cut through with clarity and texture and tom tom runs and channel pans are as good as I've ever heard. There's more treble presence and air than I'm used to, much more so than the Ne4, but I've not heard any sibilance or spiciness that's cause me to wince or turn the volume down thus far. All in all, a fully immersive, time sucking experience every time I stick them in my ears. Kudos to @bogdan belonozhko and the rest of the team at FiR for another top notch set that delivers on all fronts.

I'm now considering adding a pair of Xe6 to my stable to compliment the Rn6 for genres like stoner/doom metal (read: slower than other metal), funk, R&B and electronic music. Call me a FiR fanboy if you want but from build quality, class leading tech, looks and tuning, the folks at FiR have things properly dialed for my preferences and library.

Mar 29, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #4,139 of 6,244
thx for the impressions, @Garney

glad you're enjoying your new firry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back