Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Jan 27, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #3,586 of 6,233
I'm thinking in buying one of the Frontier Series but only if I can sell some of my gear. I listen to a lot of prog/metal/rock genres. Which one would be better suited for kind of music?
Our tastes seem to overlap significantly and I have loved KR5 for the last 6 months or so. It seems able to handle anything I've tried, from more delicate and laid-back prog to heavier, more complex, denser music. I haven't ventured too far into the current metal scene, being more inclined towards classic rock / hard rock / blues / prog, but KR5 seems to strike an amazing balance across the board. It disappears and just presents a great musical experience.

I've only tried NE4 and XE6 once so don't have a firm view. Both struck me as warmer than KR5. NE4 is perhaps more raw and visceral in its presentation, XE6 is just massive in terms of sound, but has too much bass for my tastes. I think any of the Frontier series would be enjoyable but I would lean towards KR5 for your music if I were buying blind. It seems the "safest" option. If you can try them first, that's a different matter.

Jan 27, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #3,587 of 6,233
Our tastes seem to overlap significantly and I have loved KR5 for the last 6 months or so. It seems able to handle anything I've tried, from more delicate and laid-back prog to heavier, more complex, denser music. I haven't ventured too far into the current metal scene, being more inclined towards classic rock / hard rock / blues / prog, but KR5 seems to strike an amazing balance across the board. It disappears and just presents a great musical experience.

I've only tried NE4 and XE6 once so don't have a firm view. Both struck me as warmer than KR5. NE4 is perhaps more raw and visceral in its presentation, XE6 is just massive in terms of sound, but has too much bass for my tastes. I think any of the Frontier series would be enjoyable but I would lean towards KR5 for your music if I were buying blind. It seems the "safest" option. If you can try them first, that's a different matter.
Kr5 gang rise up

Jan 27, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #3,589 of 6,233
Kr5 too 😎😉

Jan 27, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #3,591 of 6,233
disagree with others here - XE6 is great for metal
Of course it depends on your ears and taste... I tried all tips, atom modules, pure silver cables and the Xe6 was too bassy and veiled for me with many metal recordings. The bass also sounded slightly slower for me. But with many other genres Xe6 sounded fantastic.

Jan 27, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #3,592 of 6,233
Of course it depends on your ears and taste... I tried all tips, atom modules, pure silver cables and the Xe6 was too bassy and veiled for me with many metal recordings. The bass also sounded slightly slower for me. But with many other genres Xe6 sounded fantastic.

I bought Xe6 mostly for metal and indie :) It's definitelly not too bassy.
For my taste, it's great - nicely warm that even not so well recorded grindcore or black metal doesn't pierce your ears.

Why there is this common opinion Xe6 is like a basshead IEM?
It is definitelly NOT a basshead :)

If somebody knows i.e. Dorado2020 - they are simillar in bass quantity, just everything on a higher quality level.

Jan 27, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #3,593 of 6,233
I bought Xe6 mostly for metal and indie :) It's definitelly not too bassy.
For my taste, it's great - nicely warm that even not so well recorded grindcore or black metal doesn't pierce your ears.

Why there is this common opinion Xe6 is like a basshead IEM?
It is definitelly NOT a basshead :)

If somebody knows i.e. Dorado2020 - they are simillar in bass quantity, just everything on a higher quality level.
Glad for you :) I really wish I could use Xe6 more as an allrounder because this IEM is so fantastic in many aspects. So different and so beautiful.
For me it’s not about being a basshead IEM too, but the bass and tuning are too dark sounding with some recordings.
Did not try it with edgy sounding black metal albums - that could be a good pairing! 👍

Jan 29, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #3,594 of 6,233
I’ve had my Krypton 5 for about a month now and really enjoy it. I decided, however, to change the Atoms to the black set since I wanted more detail in the mid-bass. So I got out the Atom holder, and wow, the design of this plastic holder for the Atoms made it very difficult to take out the Atoms since they just kept spinning instead of threading out. Additionally, the paint was chipped off the inset where the torx fits, kind of a let down for a 3K set. I suppose I could ask FiR to replace my set, but now that I have them in, I don’t want fool with it anymore since they are so tiny and I don’t want to accidentally drop one. I’m perfectionistic about fit and finish, and even though we’re talking about torx screws, the chipped black paint revealed their silver metal build. A black sharpie took care of it, but FiR should use a more durable finish; not necessary for the silver or gold Atoms since I don’t believe they have a painted finish on them.

Regarding the change in sound, as of now since I just switched them out, I believe the black Atoms bring the sound to a higher level, at least to my ears. 😁

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #3,596 of 6,233
What recommendations can be given to "harden" up the sound of the Xe6 as much as possible? To add more byte for rock and roll and electronica?

Cable change, tip change, module change?

Screenshot_20230128-232357_Gallery.jpg

Sources: Feed the XE6 with a highly resolving bright or neutral source like the Cayin N8ii, Hiby RS8, Hugo 2

Cable: My favourite pairing was with Eletech Ode to Laura - Leaned out the mid bass, further separation with instruments, more powerful macro dynamics.

Tips: Tanchim T300 Treble (+detail), Radius Deep Mount, Eartune fidelity Us (+ treble), W1s (punchier dynamics) worked best for me or other wide bore tips that brought it the closest to my ears.

Module: Depending on which source you are using, Silver (powerful) or Black (leaner)

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #3,598 of 6,233
Screenshot_20230128-232357_Gallery.jpg

Sources: Feed the XE6 with a highly resolving bright or neutral source like the Cayin N8ii, Hiby RS8, Hugo 2

Cable: My favourite pairing was with Eletech Ode to Laura - Leaned out the mid bass, further separation with instruments, more powerful macro dynamics.

Tips: Tanchim T300 Treble (+detail), Radius Deep Mount, Eartune fidelity Us (+ treble), W1s (punchier dynamics) worked best for me or other wide bore tips that brought it the closest to my ears.

Module: Depending on which source you are using, Silver (powerful) or Black (leaner)
Also, if you're using RS8 (or any HiBy DAP), try setting MSEB overall warmth to -50%. This removes a few layers of blankets from Xe6's thickness while retaining all its other attributes. A positive change to my ears, unless thick chocolate wamth is your sound.

Jan 29, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #3,599 of 6,233
I’ve had my Krypton 5 for about a month now and really enjoy it. I decided, however, to change the Atoms to the black set since I wanted more detail in the mid-bass. So I got out the Atom holder, and wow, the design of this plastic holder for the Atoms made it very difficult to take out the Atoms since they just kept spinning instead of threading out. Additionally, the paint was chipped off the inset where the torx fits, kind of a let down for a 3K set. I suppose I could ask FiR to replace my set, but now that I have them in, I don’t want fool with it anymore since they are so tiny and I don’t want to accidentally drop one. I’m perfectionistic about fit and finish, and even though we’re talking about torx screws, the chipped black paint revealed their silver metal build. A black sharpie took care of it, but FiR should use a more durable finish; not necessary for the silver or gold Atoms since I don’t believe they have a painted finish on them.

Regarding the change in sound, as of now since I just switched them out, I believe the black Atoms bring the sound to a higher level, at least to my ears. 😁

I’ve had the same experience but gave up trying to unscrew the modules from the holder as soon as I saw the paint coming off - for an otherwise incredibly well built set, this element is definitely a disappointment - I’d love to test the other modules!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back