Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Jul 28, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #2,971 of 6,244
I looked at your singature - which IEMs are you referring to when you mentioned the cymbals? I'm asking mostly because I'm obsessed with upper treble, and no estat that I've tried has been able to match Tia for extension, speed and detail in the upper treble. FiR and 64 also tend to exaggerate it a lot so it becomes very apparent
@mvvRAZ , I think You are right and my statement was too bold :relaxed:
Your comment made me pull my IEMs out of their cases and listen to them side by side.
photo_2022-07-28_13-15-52.jpg

I think it is not about driver type, but the amount of treble energy.
I was listening to the already infamous Rotten Decay by BADBADNOTGOOD.
I like highs a little bit more with Empire Ears Odin since it has a little more spark on cymbal overflows, the level of details is about the same.

As I mentioned, unfortunately, I have never heard any other 64 Audio or FIR Audio IEMs.

I will update my previous post to not confuse anybody :relaxed:
Please, take everything I say with a grain of salt since I'm not a professional reviewer and might feel/hear something completely opposite from reality :relaxed:

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #2,972 of 6,244
@mvvRAZ , I think You are right and my statement was too bold :relaxed:
Your comment made me pull my IEMs out of their cases and listen to them side by side.
photo_2022-07-28_13-15-52.jpg
I think it is not about driver type, but the amount of energy in the upper highs.
I was listening to the already infamous Rotten Decay by BADBADNOTGOOD.
I like highs a little bit more with Empire Ears Odin since it has a little more spark on cymbal overflows, the level of details is about the same.

As I mentioned, unfortunately, I have never heard any other 64 Audio or FIR Audio IEMs.

I will update my previous post to not confuse anybody :relaxed:
Please, take everything I say with a grain of salt since I'm not a professional reviewer and might feel/hear something completely opposite from reality :relaxed:
I didn't mean to discredit your statement at all - was a bit surprised in the sense that the Odin and Sultan both tend to roll off in the higher treble registers, while I find the Kr5 to especially shine in that area. I can see why you'd enjoy the Odin more, consider its lower treble is brighter and more pronounced though

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #2,973 of 6,244
F1C026B9-2702-436F-947E-654E7798AB85.jpeg

FiR Audio Krypton 5 (KR5)
1 10mm Kinetic DD, 1 open BA bass, 2 open BA mids, 1 open BA with sound reflector highs.
22 ohm impedance, sensitivity n/a, 20Hz - 20kHz FR response

Thank you to Andrew at MusicTeck for the opportunity to receive a modest discount on this pair in exchange for an honest review. And for his excellent customer service over the years.
I am NOT a career or professional reviewer, just an audio enthusiast who enjoys having music in my life on a daily basis.
Therefore this review will reflect my personal sound preferences.

I’m not entirely familiar with the FiR audio story, but I know the two brothers have a connection with 64 Audio, and these Frontier Series IEM certainly share 64 audio DNA.

703DC27B-788C-44BB-9914-E07BE8B7B24B.jpeg

Kinetic Bass is a hybrid bone conduction method of delivering bass presence. The backs of the Dynamic Drivers are vented toward the inner ear to, in theory at least, enhance bass via bone conduction.
I have experience with bone conduction IEMs so I assumed good inner contact would be desirable and I sized my Sedna Earfit Standard tips accordingly to allow for a deeper insertion depth.

15D76E0F-2BD4-40DA-8BBE-33A037844059.jpeg

ATOM XS vent modules allow the IEM to vent pressure from inside the ear canal to eliminate pressure build up and reduce listener fatigue.
They also alter the sound signature and allow for some degree of personal tuning preference.
The KR 5 comes with 3 ATOM XS modules.
Gold, Silver, and Black.
GOLD: Plus +1 dB isolation (16 dB)
I found the Gold module to have the strongest bass presence. Mids have good presence and detail, vocals are warm and natural. Highs are clear, detailed and airy. However, for me the bass tends to overwhelm the sound signature somewhat, it pushes the mids back, and attenuates the detail retrieval of mids and highs a bit.
SILVER: Neutral isolation (15 dB)
Sub bass is more managed and stays in place, overall bass presence remains strong, but is less overwhelming. Mids come forward nicely, vocals very natural, and mids and highs detail improves.
BLACK: Minus -1 dB isolation (14 dB)
Bass presence remains strong but I felt sub bass becomes slightly muffled. Mids come further forward but loose some weight and also loose some natural tonality in vocals. Highs are very clear, micro detail retrieval is best of the three modules.

I’m not going to sugar coat it. I don’t like the design of these modules, they are small, and very finicky to work with. I have dropped them a few times and crawled around looking for them on the floor twice.
If I don’t outright loose one of these next time I swap them, I’m buying a lottery ticket.

I chose Silver ATOM module as best for my listening preference.

BAAC25D7-0D19-4F73-B00F-F3B6F45A1DFF.jpeg

Equipment:
- FiR Audio Frontier Series KR5 with 60 plus hours. Silver ATOM XS module.
- A&K SP2000T on solid state (OP) amp mode.
- Stock cable 4.4mm balanced termination.
- Sedna Earfit Standard ear tips. (Stock tips didn’t work for me)

Tracks:
varied selection of tracks from my playlists played from SD card. FLAC 44 through 192 and DSD to 22.4 (512)
My mainstay are Blues, Rock, Jazz, Country, Classical.
I also streamed Apple lossless for electronic, R&B, Death Metal, etc. to get a well rounded experience of how well this IEM handles a variety of genres.

Bass is very good on KR5. Sub bass is thick, rich, well defined and has the ability to extend really low when called on. With the silver atom module installed it stays managed and in its place. Mid bass is quick and agile, it has excellent punch and slam when called on.

Mids are clear and detailed with just enough mid bass carry over to provide a warm and natural tonality. They present nicely forward, but not in your face.

Vocals are clear, natural, and accurate on both male and female vocals. They present forward and blend well with mids instruments.

Highs are crisp, clear, and detailed. They have very good air but never sibilant or harsh. Micro detail retrieval is good, but I have heard better.

Soundstage is excellent. Width is between the ears, even slightly outside the head. Height is well above average, good air gives it height, and sub bass extension pulls it low. Listening to Gunna - Pushin P track I perceived the sub bass down around my neck area. Depth is good, the forward mids and vocals provide good front to rear layering. Separation and imaging is also very good. Soundstage is open and I never noticed any congestion, individual instrument placement is accurate and easy to target.
** Note I found Gold ATOM module to have the least open soundstage, Black module the best. But all are good, we are talking degrees of separation.

Summary:
I wasn’t thrilled with KR5 out of the box, it sounded bloated and incoherent to me. However some hours of aging the IEMs and some lengthy listening sessions have me convinced. These are a very good IEM and IMHO, deserving of flagship designation.
The Kinetic bass concept seems to work. I pick up on the “feeling” the bass as well as hearing it that is synonymous with traditional bone conduction drivers.
Build quality is excellent, fit is comfortable for me. Shells are not overly large by todays hybrid standards, they are on the thicker side though.
The ability to personalize the tuning via the modules is nice, however as mentioned earlier the tiny size and design is a bit of a pain, at least for gnarled hands they are.
The included 4.4mm balanced cable is a plus for me, as I’m a balanced convert. The cable is decent, reasonably supple with good ear hooks (not memory wire) that support the IEM well.

Comparisons:
EC9CF7DF-0A14-40FA-AF3B-8ACCB5687915.jpeg

FR5 vs Fourte.
There is some shared DNA here.
Fourte single DD and 3 BA up against KR5 Kinetic DD, and 4 BA.
Bass on KR5 is stronger and sub bass more prevalent. I like good bass presentation, but I’m open to variation and it’s more about how it fits with the overall sound signature.
Bass on Fourte has less definition between sub and mid bass, but it can still pull low and punch when called upon.
Mids are clearer and more detailed on Fourte, KR5 is warmer and carry’s more weight.
Vocals are more forward on KR5, both IEM present vocals quite natural and accurate.
Highs are more airy and better micro detail retrieval on Fourte. Both are clear and detailed.
Soundstage; Fourte does have a unique “openness” to the middle of the soundstage that individual instruments/vocalists move in and out of depending on how tracks are recorded. Some people like this, some don’t, but it does provide one of the most unique and expansive soundstages I’ve heard to date on an IEM.

430678F1-85BD-4481-AB4E-9CDACE2E2105.jpeg

FR5 vs U18s
Ok, completely different IEM here. All BA vs Hybrid, but retail pricing is the same.
Bass on U18s is very similar to Fourte, so bass comparison with KR5 is virtually the same. KR5 has a stronger overall bass presence and better sub/mid bass definition.
U18s has better detail retrieval in the mids than KR5. U18s mids are more forward than Fourte, similar to KR5. KR5 is again warmer and weightier in the mids.
Highs are crisper with better micro detail retrieval on U18s.
Sounstage is similar between these two, very good width, depth, height, KR5 has slightly more overall height, or vertical depth if you prefer, due to sub bass extension. Imaging separation and layering are also very good on both. Imaging on U18s has a slight edge due to additional detail retrieval.

1593859B-DCE3-440D-AC27-DED96A5CB11B.jpeg

KR5 Kinetic Bass Driver vs EVO W9 and Bone Conduction Drivers.
This is a cage match.
Both are impressive.
EVO is smoother richer bass that pulls down as low as FR5, but it also expands out wider than FR5.
FR5 however has tighter punch and slam and more definition between sub and mid bass.
Bass on EVO fills (bleeds) the soundstage more (compared to FR5 with silver atom module, more similar to the gold atom module) but the mids and highs rise above the bass effortlessly and it works.
Mids and highs are more detailed on FR5, but both have very good mids and highs.
Vocals are warmer on EVO, both IEM present vocals nicely forward, natural and accurate.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #2,974 of 6,244
I have been enjoying Krypton 5 for about two weeks now. These are my first FIR Audio IEMs.

I have been following FIR Audio for a long time and have read a bunch of super positive reviews, especially regarding the M series. I must say that a cool presentation video of the Frontier Series made me think about buying my first FA IEMs :relaxed: I did not have the opportunity to listen to them, but thanks to the twister6 review I understood that most probably Krypton 5 and potentially Xenon 6 could be my cup of tea. So, having taken my leap of faith with Krypton 5, I was not disappointed at all. Frankly speaking, I was not expecting to be impressed that much (see my IEMs collection).

photo_2022-07-14_14-48-09.jpgphoto_2022-07-14_14-48-11.jpgphoto_2022-07-14_14-48-12.jpgphoto_2022-07-14_14-48-09 (2).jpg

These IEMs are beautifully made - the shell and faceplate look like a work of art.
The only thing that comes to my mind of the same level is the Noble Sultan.
I'm not sure how durable the chrome plating will be, but so far I haven't had any problems.

The stock cable is of good quality. I am not a huge cable believer although I have a couple of more or less expensive IEM cables (at least for me :)), but I have not yet been tempted to switch stock cable yet.

I got the best fit and isolation with Final E-tips (stock ear-tips don't fit me well).

Most importantly, I find Krypton 5 to sound amazing. I listened to Krypton 5 with what I have now - iBasso DX240 (AMP8 Mk2) and Chord Mojo 2. It seems to me that with sources of a higher class, these IEMs will be able to reveal their potential even more. The presentation is engaging, natural, and lively. But at the same time very technical, with a good level of detail.

Bass is not overwhelmingly impactful, holographic, and really fast.
These IEMs could play the BADBADNOTGOOD BBNG2 album exceptionally well. There is a lot of natural and synthetic bass (e.g. Rotten Decay track) and most of the IEMs I heard couldn't render it with that level of detail and that beautiful timing and control.

photo_2022-07-26_00-36-43.jpg

The mids are really good - detailed and natural.
Highs are quite well extended and crisp. I like highs on Empire Ears Odin a little bit more since it seems to have a bit more energy there (cymbal overflows have more spark).

Soundstage is huge - it is a pleasure to listen to live and orchestral music.

I like Krypton 5 with the gold Atom XS module the most. The sound signature changes noticeably with different modules, but the overall signature remains recognizable.

I could not find a single genre that these headphones did not do exceptionally well (from hip hop and death/black metal to jazz and classic music).

Overall, I am very glad that I now have such a gem in my collection.
Now I'm wondering how good Xenon 6 comparing to Krypton 5 :relaxed:

Thanks a lot, Musicteck and Andrew for the opportunity to buy Krypton 5 with a promo discount! To be honest, I was very surprised to see the negative comment about this store. I moved to the US about a year ago. In that relatively short period of time, I have bought almost half of my gear there and have never had any problems. IMO it is the best audiophile store in the US if not the world :relaxed:
Good review. I enjoyed reading it.
Prefer the silver module myself, but it’s nice we have the option to swap out to our preference.

Jul 28, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #2,975 of 6,244

FiR Audio Krypton 5 (KR5)
1 10mm Kinetic DD, 1 open BA bass, 2 open BA mids, 1 open BA with sound reflector highs.
22 ohm impedance, sensitivity n/a, 20Hz - 20kHz FR response

Thank you to Andrew at MusicTeck for the opportunity to receive a modest discount on this pair in exchange for an honest review. And for his excellent customer service over the years.
I am NOT a career or professional reviewer, just an audio enthusiast who enjoys having music in my life on a daily basis.
Therefore this review will reflect my personal sound preferences.

I’m not entirely familiar with the FiR audio story, but I know the two brothers have a connection with 64 Audio, and these Frontier Series IEM certainly share 64 audio DNA.

Kinetic Bass is a hybrid bone conduction method of delivering bass presence. The backs of the Dynamic Drivers are vented toward the inner ear to, in theory at least, enhance bass via bone conduction.
I have experience with bone conduction IEMs so I assumed good inner contact would be desirable and I sized my Sedna Earfit Standard tips accordingly to allow for a deeper insertion depth.

ATOM XS vent modules allow the IEM to vent pressure from inside the ear canal to eliminate pressure build up and reduce listener fatigue.
They also alter the sound signature and allow for some degree of personal tuning preference.
The KR 5 comes with 3 ATOM XS modules.
Gold, Silver, and Black.
GOLD: Plus +1 dB isolation (16 dB)
I found the Gold module to have the strongest bass presence. Mids have good presence and detail, vocals are warm and natural. Highs are clear, detailed and airy. However, for me the bass tends to overwhelm the sound signature somewhat, it pushes the mids back, and attenuates the detail retrieval of mids and highs a bit.
SILVER: Neutral isolation (15 dB)
Sub bass is more managed and stays in place, overall bass presence remains strong, but is less overwhelming. Mids come forward nicely, vocals very natural, and mids and highs detail improves.
BLACK: Minus -1 dB isolation (14 dB)
Bass presence remains strong but I felt sub bass becomes slightly muffled. Mids come further forward but loose some weight and also loose some natural tonality in vocals. Highs are very clear, micro detail retrieval is best of the three modules.

I’m not going to sugar coat it. I don’t like the design of these modules, they are small, and very finicky to work with. I have dropped them a few times and crawled around looking for them on the floor twice.
If I don’t outright loose one of these next time I swap them, I’m buying a lottery ticket.

I chose Silver ATOM module as best for my listening preference.

Equipment:
- FiR Audio Frontier Series KR5 with 60 plus hours. Silver ATOM XS module.
- A&K SP2000T on solid state (OP) amp mode.
- Stock cable 4.4mm balanced termination.
- Sedna Earfit Standard ear tips. (Stock tips didn’t work for me)

Tracks:
varied selection of tracks from my playlists played from SD card. FLAC 44 through 192 and DSD to 22.4 (512)
My mainstay are Blues, Rock, Jazz, Country, Classical.
I also streamed Apple lossless for electronic, R&B, Death Metal, etc. to get a well rounded experience of how well this IEM handles a variety of genres.

Bass is very good on KR5. Sub bass is thick, rich, well defined and has the ability to extend really low when called on. With the silver atom module installed it stays managed and in its place. Mid bass is quick and agile, it has excellent punch and slam when called on.

Mids are clear and detailed with just enough mid bass carry over to provide a warm and natural tonality. They present nicely forward, but not in your face.

Vocals are clear, natural, and accurate on both male and female vocals. They present forward and blend well with mids instruments.

Highs are crisp, clear, and detailed. They have very good air but never sibilant or harsh. Micro detail retrieval is good, but I have heard better.

Soundstage is excellent. Width is between the ears, even slightly outside the head. Height is well above average, good air gives it height, and sub bass extension pulls it low. Listening to Gunna - Pushin P track I perceived the sub bass down around my neck area. Depth is good, the forward mids and vocals provide good front to rear layering. Separation and imaging is also very good. Soundstage is open and I never noticed any congestion, individual instrument placement is accurate and easy to target.
** Note I found Gold ATOM module to have the least open soundstage, Black module the best. But all are good, we are talking degrees of separation.

Summary:
I wasn’t thrilled with KR5 out of the box, it sounded bloated and incoherent to me. However some hours of aging the IEMs and some lengthy listening sessions have me convinced. These are a very good IEM and IMHO, deserving of flagship designation.
The Kinetic bass concept seems to work. I pick up on the “feeling” the bass as well as hearing it that is synonymous with traditional bone conduction drivers.
Build quality is excellent, fit is comfortable for me. Shells are not overly large by todays hybrid standards, they are on the thicker side though.
The ability to personalize the tuning via the modules is nice, however as mentioned earlier the tiny size and design is a bit of a pain, at least for gnarled hands they are.
The included 4.4mm balanced cable is a plus for me, as I’m a balanced convert. The cable is decent, reasonably supple with good ear hooks (not memory wire) that support the IEM well.

Comparisons:

FR5 vs Fourte.
There is some shared DNA here.
Fourte single DD and 3 BA up against KR5 Kinetic DD, and 4 BA.
Bass on KR5 is stronger and sub bass more prevalent. I like good bass presentation, but I’m open to variation and it’s more about how it fits with the overall sound signature.
Bass on Fourte has less definition between sub and mid bass, but it can still pull low and punch when called upon.
Mids are clearer and more detailed on Fourte, KR5 is warmer and carry’s more weight.
Vocals are more forward on KR5, both IEM present vocals quite natural and accurate.
Highs are more airy and better micro detail retrieval on Fourte. Both are clear and detailed.
Soundstage; Fourte does have a unique “openness” to the middle of the soundstage that individual instruments/vocalists move in and out of depending on how tracks are recorded. Some people like this, some don’t, but it does provide one of the most unique and expansive soundstages I’ve heard to date on an IEM.

FR5 vs U18s
Ok, completely different IEM here. All BA vs Hybrid, but retail pricing is the same.
Bass on U18s is very similar to Fourte, so bass comparison with KR5 is virtually the same. KR5 has a stronger overall bass presence and better sub/mid bass definition.
U18s has better detail retrieval in the mids than KR5. U18s mids are more forward than Fourte, similar to KR5. KR5 is again warmer and weightier in the mids.
Highs are crisper with better micro detail retrieval on U18s.
Sounstage is similar between these two, very good width, depth, height, KR5 has slightly more overall height, or vertical depth if you prefer, due to sub bass extension. Imaging separation and layering are also very good on both. Imaging on U18s has a slight edge due to additional detail retrieval.

KR5 Kinetic Bass Driver vs EVO W9 and Bone Conduction Drivers.
This is a cage match.
Both are impressive.
EVO is smoother richer bass that pulls down as low as FR5, but it also expands out wider than FR5.
FR5 however has tighter punch and slam and more definition between sub and mid bass.
Bass on EVO fills (bleeds) the soundstage more (compared to FR5 with silver atom module, more similar to the gold atom module) but the mids and highs rise above the bass effortlessly and it works.
Mids and highs are more detailed on FR5, but both have very good mids and highs.
Vocals are warmer on EVO, both IEM present vocals nicely forward, natural and accurate.

Atom module topic comes up almost every other week with my readers who ping me to discuss my Frontier series review :)

Atom X (ciem) vs Atom XS (uni), can't illustrate it any better than this:

firaudio-frontier-series-05.jpg

In theory, you only have to go through this exercise once when figuring out the module and eartips out of the box. Actually, twice, because you want to check it again after about 100hrs of burn in. Then, you don't have to worry about it anymore. But, if you are undecided and constantly moving between modules, it is probably a good idea to think about switching to CIEM with external Atom X option which, as you can see, a lot easier to handle :wink:

Jul 28, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #2,976 of 6,244
Atom module topic comes up almost every other week with my readers who ping me to discuss my Frontier series review :)

Atom X (ciem) vs Atom XS (uni), can't illustrate it any better than this:

firaudio-frontier-series-05.jpg

In theory, you only have to go through this exercise once when figuring out the module and eartips out of the box. Actually, twice, because you want to check it again after about 100hrs of burn in. Then, you don't have to worry about it anymore. But, if you are undecided and constantly moving between modules, it is probably a good idea to think about switching to CIEM with external Atom X option which, as you can see, a lot easier to handle :wink:
Thanks for the reply. 👍🏽
I’m familiar with the APEX modules, pretty much the same as ATOM X, in fact I believe they are interchangeable.

Have also messed with swappable nozzles and DIP switches, so I know it’s usually just a matter of a couple tries to figure out your own personal sweet spot.

But I would have preferred not to have had to deal with these. Just because they are so finicky.

Jul 29, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #2,977 of 6,244
E370ED7E-0D5C-4151-86C6-F04960287A21.jpeg
I just placed XE6 ciem order at ECT Hong Kong this afternoon! just can’t wait for my first FiR product and my first ever logo artwork on ciem!

I tried EE Odin once again before placing order, that’s still not I am looking for :)

Jul 31, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #2,978 of 6,244
A fine companion for a quiet bit of Sunday afternoon gardening. These are so easy to drive well, I’m quite happy with either this or the Ne4 on that FiiO lanyard.

C6F4EFE0-41D1-4630-A6B7-7473B6F6EB9F.jpeg

Weeds are frightened of “just one more song”

Aug 1, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #2,979 of 6,244
How's everyone's Firs? )

I know there are some EQing guys here, care to share your Xenon's preference?

I've been experimenting for quite some time trying to eq out some of the excessive warmth/bass bleed to the midst, without any success.

Maybe some of you have managed to do it.

Would be really grateful for any ideas, thank you!

Aug 1, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #2,980 of 6,244
I never eq, but because both the n8ii and custom set of xenons are 🐐, I experimented and found this to be a pleasant tweak in certain cases:

6E1909F8-AC56-4ED1-AF83-FDF42FC919BB.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #2,981 of 6,244
How's everyone's Firs? )

I've been experimenting for quite some time trying to eq out some of the excessive warmth/bass bleed to the midst, without any success.

I've been auditioning the 3 Frontiers for the last few weeks, and I haven't really EQ'ed any of them. For me, the KR5 could use a little less treble, but EQ'ing it kind of diminishes the intention of that IEM imho; if I'm going to do that, I might as well listen to one of the other 2...

If ever I've found the Xe6 warmth to be a little too much, it's usually because I'm using balanced and/or a higher gain setting on the amp. A switch to SE on the Jot2 or RS6 for example can make a big difference.

Aug 1, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #2,982 of 6,244
How's everyone's Firs? )

Did u try different atom modules and cables?

Aug 2, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #2,983 of 6,244
How's everyone's Firs? )

Kr5 has me in this stage where I look at something I might be interested in buying, imagine what I’d like it to sound like, realize I already have the Kr5 for that and spend the money on yet another set of golf clubs lol

Aug 2, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #2,984 of 6,244
How's everyone's Firs? )

What source are you using? Does it use a Graphic EQ 10-band or Parametric EQ? I can share you my settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back