Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Jan 5, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #1,801 of 6,237
Just curious, is this a misprint or am I missing accessories?

9623BFCB-10B8-4101-B490-7FC887619888.jpeg

I received 3 ATOM XS sets (6 total pieces), and then 4 sets of tips (8 total pieces)

DF0AF805-F526-42FF-B223-78BB6DED8FBE.jpeg

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #1,803 of 6,237
Just curious, is this a misprint or am I missing accessories?

9623BFCB-10B8-4101-B490-7FC887619888.jpeg

I received 3 ATOM XS sets (6 total pieces), and then 4 sets of tips (8 total pieces)

DF0AF805-F526-42FF-B223-78BB6DED8FBE.jpeg
Looks like typo

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #1,805 of 6,237
Jan 5, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #1,806 of 6,237
Some initial thoughts so far:

I got around maybe 1:30 - 2 hours listening so far today. Honestly, I feel @twister6 did a pretty good job of describing them. I'm not even sure what else to add or what I can, haha.

They are very good though, it's a warmer/richer timbre that has some amazing coherency. If the Elysian IEMs get their coherency from a "top-down" approach, as in they were all tuned around the EST drivers, then the Xenon 6 is doing the opposite. The bass is what is the IEMs starting point of tuning and everything else is following its lead but doing so in very coherent fashion.

You get really big powerful bass and subwoofer-like airy bass that blends very well into a richer lower mid range without bleeding over. There is an emphasis on the upper mid range to help push female vocals forward but its a very natural and organic timbre as opposed to being revealing or clarity based. So it doesn't come off as disjointed to the lower mids. It doesn't lack any clarity, its just not that type of "crystal clear" sound you'll get from the upper mids like you are used to in the X. The upper mid range reminds me sort of the Traillii or A12t. The forwardness I am hearing in 2k ish area really helps keep the mid range balanced.

The lower treble drops a bit in presence and then just extends very well all the way into upper treble, while still keeping a very natural but airy upper treble presentation. It reminds me a bit of the VE Phonix in how the treble is done. The treble quality is good, I haven't done any A/B to Phonix which is probably my new gold standard for treble but I'm not noticing anything wrong with my initial listening at least.

So basically I'm hearing a rich and warmer bass through upper mid range presence then the sound tapers down a tiny bit but stays linear and extends all the way through the upper treble. You get a very inviting and fatigue-free sound signature.

The bass on this is different. What I'm noticing on the Xenon 6 is that when the initial bass note hits there's almost this slight tickling sensation. It's really hard to describe, the first song I listened to I turned it up and it made me blink once or twice out of reaction. It's almost like the impact of the bass is giving you a legitimate feel and then you're hearing the air/rest of the note originate in its own space. It stays very well controlled and has a big presence without being overly emphasized. For example, when I go to the A12t I can tell that the bass is all originating from within my ear canals (or something comparable to like the subs in a trunk in your car). When I listen to the X6 it sounds more out of head and bigger, as if the origin of the bass note is coming from a much bigger enclosure (or room) and isn't constrained by any air limitations.

The build on them is awesome, really premium feeling. Very Z1R-esc, there's a nice sense of weight without being too heavy. The fit is pretty good for me, but unless universal IEMs fit me like the Traillii or Phonix I don't really like using them. Oh, the new ATOM XS modules are so damn small... I changed them from the middle one to the most isolating one and have zero desire to deal with that again. It even comes with a tiny tool to swap them out. It's tedious and not fun but I guess necessary to keep the IEM size reasonable without keeping it all internal like the M5 universal.

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #1,807 of 6,237
Jan 5, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #1,808 of 6,237
Thanks buddy! It doesn’t sound too dark, does it?

No not at all, it’s got great extension. I was worried it would be too warm but I don’t feel it is at all either. My perception of L shaped is something more like a Legend X , I think the Xenon 6 is quite well balanced and represented in the highs but I am also a sucker for big bass so my perception may be skewed.

Jan 5, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #1,809 of 6,237
Are you guys ready? Hot off the press, here is my detailed overview/comparison of FiR Audio Frontier series. Enjoy the read!

firaudio-frontier-series-13.jpg
How would you compare the bass of XE6 and Legend X? Would you think owning XE6 alongside Legend X is redundant? LX is at the edge of having too much bass for me (hence why I bought/sold Legend X twice before settling down with a custom haha).

Jan 6, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #1,813 of 6,237
Sh.. I was hoping you will say, "sorry pal these are purely indoors"
No im getting a liiiiittle stoked.

How does soundstage/imaging compare to indigo?

I just took them off and let them play at my normal listening level (around 85db) and I don't think it'll be an issue as far as leakage goes. Just my 2c though. Doesn't sound like it's much worse than a regular IEM, if at all.

The stage is great, really good width and depth. Height seems to be about average though. Imaging is awesome too but nothing images like the Indigo does.

Jan 6, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #1,815 of 6,237
I’m not noticing any extra sound leakage compared to any other IEMs.

If nobody next to you to confirm, hold your iphone next to IEMs to record sound as you playing music :)

Not saying they are like open or semi-open cans where you can be standing feet away and clearly hear what is playing, but there is some sound leakage due to open DD driver design. But the driver is not pointing out through the faceplate, it is pointing in, so it is muffled. I just asked Mrs Twister to be the judge, 3ft away. She couldn't tell me what was playing, but she definitely hears music playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back