Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Dec 16, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #1,741 of 6,243
Hi, the Xenon has the Kinetic Bass feature along with an open BA w/ sound reflector for the highs. All of these features are new to frontier series and are not in the m5. The Xenon improves fidelity and is a little smoother sounding as well. To learn more about the new tech with frontier I’m posting the link.

https://www.firaudio.com/technologies
Would it be possible to see the frequency response graph?

Dec 16, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #1,742 of 6,243
How would we do a FR graph with the Kinetic bass driver? (Real curiosity)

Dec 16, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #1,743 of 6,243
I should be getting my VxV custom from the team at FiR sometime this month! As well as a universal back, so I should be able to comment on what the differences are translating the unit into custom form.

Super excited for my first custom experience from FiR, they've been great so far!
Quite curious about any differences between universal and custom. I have been using VxV a lot since my review and they have become a firm favourite of mine. So much so that I might get them as customs when I can. Do they have a stem with horn shape?

Dec 16, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #1,744 of 6,243
FWIW, my M5 custom was amazing and the fact they use lesser drivers than normal means they’re super light too. They disappeared in my ears.

That's great to hear. I have a great set of impressions that I sent them scans for, and I look forward to seeing how they make the most of it.

Quite curious about any differences between universal and custom. I have been using VxV a lot since my review and they have become a firm favourite of mine. So much so that I might get them as customs when I can. Do they have a stem with horn shape?

I will let you know! Don't have a shipping notice yet.

Dec 18, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #1,747 of 6,243
0C41D64B-76C9-4571-87C0-87CEFB1F6BD5.jpeg

We are doing a Xenon 6 giveaway on our social media. Head over to Instagram to see details on how to enter.

FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/
Dec 18, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #1,748 of 6,243
0C41D64B-76C9-4571-87C0-87CEFB1F6BD5.jpeg

We are doing a Xenon 6 giveaway on our social media. Head over to Instagram to see details on how to enter.

Just to confirm, looks like atom module is accessible in ciem from the faceplate while removable from the side next to the 2pin connector in uni?

Dec 18, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #1,749 of 6,243
Just to confirm, looks like atom module is accessible in ciem from the faceplate while removable from the side next to the 2pin connector in uni?
That’s correct. Nothing changed on CIEM modules because there is more room to work with. UIEM we were only able to squeeze in a smaller XS module.

Dec 19, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #1,750 of 6,243
Would it be possible to see the frequency response graph?
When it comes to FR graphs, there are 2 things that come to mind.

Just like measuring time, it becomes a question of relativity.
Audio equipment varies from DSP & amplifier designs, microphone standards, and audio interfaces.
Measuring multiple IEMs with identical audio equipment and comparing them can yield a comparison in terms of decibel magnitude / frequency.

Phase measurements are underrated.
A 2 dimensional representation does not do it justice.
When we speak of 'coherence' we are talking about phase.
In Laymen's terms, when a band plays in sync it sounds good. All the notes from each member seem to complement each other.
This is not something we can measure at this time, it is something that is felt.

Dec 19, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #1,751 of 6,243

Audio equipment varies from DSP & amplifier designs, microphone standards, and audio interfaces.
Measuring multiple IEMs with identical audio equipment and comparing them can yield a comparison in terms of decibel magnitude / frequency.

In Laymen's terms, when a band plays in sync it sounds good. All the notes from each member seem to complement each other.
This is not something we can measure at this time, it is something that is felt.
Shame, i have a massive interest in on of the models, but in no way im buying without at least graph.
And graph for me so far never lied, with slight tolerances. But will give me good enough idea.

That is not what i can say about someone elses impressions. Which are too much skewed by used source, preferences and sensitivities or honey moon periods. We all have it our own way, just too subjective.
And lets not even start about when someone goes into poetic mode and starts describing iem sound with metaphors that need googling up.

Yes there are things that cannot be measured. But when tuning is not what im expecting, those imeasurables are irrelevant.

Is that a kinetic driver that makes it hard to measure? Makes sense as it does not even go into same port.

Dec 19, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #1,752 of 6,243
Shame, i have a massive interest in on of the models, but in no way im buying without at least graph.
Empire Ears also does not provide graphs

Dec 19, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #1,753 of 6,243
Is that a kinetic driver that makes it hard to measure? Makes sense as it does not even go into same port.
Binaural microphones are likely the best way to get an accurate measurement.

Representing a 3D object on a 2D plane is possible and it can be startlingly accurate in some cases.
3D movies are filmed with 2 cameras.
The two are projected at different polarities.
3D glasses are polarized and produce a split image.
These concepts are present in audio (although from an entirely different domain), multi-speaker systems output frequencies from different locations and our brain will process the audiophilic soup.

Phase is relative.
Due to the location of speakers, reflections of frequencies, speaker harmonics, and interference between the speakers (electronically and acoustically), frequencies will arrive late (high frequencies have a short wave length and are prone to overlapping).
There is no way of telling if a frequency arrived late, maybe the rest are just early?
What we can measure is the difference in time between two frequencies.

That leaves me with a burning question, are we able to combine magnitude and phase in order to get a higher dimensional representation of sound?

We don't post frequency response graphs, not because they're useless, rather because they are a 2 dimensional image of a 4 dimensional object.

Last edited:

Dec 19, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #1,754 of 6,243
And graph for me so far never lied, with slight tolerances. But will give me good enough idea.

That is not what i can say about someone elses impressions. Which are too much skewed by used source, preferences and sensitivities or honey moon periods. We all have it our own way, just too subjective.
And lets not even start about when someone goes into poetic mode and starts describing iem sound with metaphors that need googling up.

Yes there are things that cannot be measured. But when tuning is not what im expecting, those imeasurables are irrelevant.

Perhaps request a loaner pair when they are available?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back