FINNISH BANDS ARE AMAZING!!!
Jun 29, 2001 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Gradoistcool

Head-Fier
the one in particular i am thinking of is my FAVOURITE band that sings in english....... Stratovarius, they are from Finland and they rock i suggest you hear them any chance you get
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2001 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 34
well the reason behind that can be found in the astronomical depression and suicide rate in scandinavia. everyone knows that happy content people make worthless art.

In Flames is good, BTW

Sep 19, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 34
My current Finnish faves:

Turisas
Korpiklaani
Finntroll
Eluveitie
probably a bunch more I'm forgetting. Finland probably has the largest amount of quality metal per capita in the world.

Sep 19, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 34
Instead of just Finland best to think of "nordic" music scence which would include Norway, Sweden, and Finland......all border each other and share similar music style and social values.

This scence emerged in late 1980s and exploded in early 1990's to dominate metal scence, amazing quantity and quality of metal music even to this day!

Sep 19, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #9 of 34
This is what's really cool about sites like Headfi. Finnish bands are amazing and I now want to discover why and so I will. Thanks! Now what do you know about folk metal? I've heard of Tyr, but that's about it. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Sep 19, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is what's really cool about sites like Headfi. Finnish bands are amazing and I now want to discover why and so I will. Thanks! Now what do you know about folk metal? I've heard of Tyr, but that's about it. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Try Falkenbach.
From Germany, but still
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #12 of 34
Best finnish band would either be Moonsorrow or Falkenbach... and quite frankly Stratovarius is not that good a power metal band, they are ok, but there's at least 20 power metal bands that are better than them.

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #13 of 34
Paavoharju
well, they don't rock, but they create oddly beautifull soundscapes that are folk if you have to label them but really otherworldly. Lots of found-sound snippets looped behind guitar, harmonies (sung in Finnish of course), and odd other instruments. I've been diggin' them late night with a scosh of single malt...

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #14 of 34
Nordic metal...
biggrin.gif
Just up my alley.

-Nightwish for symphonic metal. They always have a great female singer, which goes great with their sound.
-Finntroll... just listen to them! Folk metal mixing Finnish polka with death metal.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Therion. They're Swedish, symphonic and focused on the occult.
-Children of Bodom- Part Death, part punk, part speed. All awexome.
-Amon Amarth- Norway's next to Finland. And these guys sing (growl?)about Vikings.
-Epica/After Forever: The were the same band at first, until these Dutch bands split: their guitarist formed his own band as Epica, and the rest stayed as After Forever. Anything done by Mark Jansen (guitarist who split) is symphonic metal about oppressive religion, anything done by After Forever after the split is about family and life troubles and stuff like that.
-Leaves' Eyes- Another Norwegian death metal band that sings about Vikings, though their lyrics are far more sentimental and less violent than Amon Amarth's.

ANd let's not forget Opeth. Sure, there's a lot of non-Finnish bands there, but it's all good stuff, and I just got a bit carried away.
redface.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #15 of 34
I love Finnish bands. Especially Stratovarius and, Lordi. They are another Finnish band that won the European Music Festival, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back