finished "electronics for earthlings" what next?
Dec 3, 2006 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jonnywolfet

Headphoneus Supremus
hi all.
a while back i posted asking what would be a good beginners electronic book, and bought electronics for earthlings as a result. well now im finished, and im thirsty for more.
i eventually want to be at the point where i understand what each component in an amp does, and to be able to design my own.
what book next? i have been browsing the net, but i find reading online extremely taxing, as opposed to occasional browsing. its good to have abook to hand too, for when i forget stuff.
i hope you can give me a push in the right direction.
thanks in advance
Jon.

Dec 3, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. It may seem old (2nd ed. 1989), but it is the bible for beginners (IMHO).

I heard somewhere that the 3rd edition is due to be out sometime soon.

Dec 3, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a look here:

http://www.audioxpress.com/bksprods/BKSTUBDES.htm

I like Bruce Rozenblit's books and Morgan Jones' books are excellent, too.

cool, thanks,
anything like this for op-amps?

thanks so far guys, keep em coming! i appreciate each post.

Dec 3, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 12
(G) Analysis and Design of Analog Integrated Circuits, 4th edition, Gray and Meyer, Wiley,
2001, ISBN 0-471-32168-0
(F) Design with Operational Amplifiers and Analog Integrated Circuits, 3rd edition, Franco,
McGraw-Hill, 2002, ISBN 0-07-232084-2

These are the two books we use in my Analog Devices and Techniques course. This is the best course in the EE department at our school and is recognized in the areas industry as a great asset to any engineer going into.. Well.. any form of analog thing :- ]

And our teacher has taught this course for years, and says these two are in his opinion the best for integrated design and op-amp applications respectively. Obviously you aren't going to be doing any integrated design.. but a lot of the same principles apply. And if you want to design an amp, you will use lots of that stuff.. Mind you, these are advanced books.. but from doing some light reading in the beginning they seemed to 'review' some basics.. So it depends on what your level of understanding is..

Bad news is thats well over 200 buckeroo's worth of book. Cost me over $250 in the bookstore for just those two, and I believe one was used :- [

Dec 4, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard somewhere that the 3rd edition is due to be out sometime soon.

I saw that on the web somewhere too, but I think it's an urban legend more than anything else.
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2006 at 2:26 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Op Amps for Everyone
ISBN 0-7506-7701-5

Is a great book also, I'd recommend taking a look.

There's also a free e-book version you can get from TI's website.

Dec 4, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 12
Ditto on the Morgan Jones "Valve Amplifiers". I go back to this one more than any other mostly because it's understandable :)
Also (part serious, part kidding given the unbelievable mass of the book) the RCA Radiotron Designers Handbook, 4th Ed, F Langford Smith.

Dec 5, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anything like this for op-amps?

Walt Jung has written a collection of excellent books, see this link:
http://waltjung.org/Walts_Books.html

In particular, "IC Opamp Cookbook, 3rd Edition" is excellent, so is "Audio IC Op Amp Applications, 3rd Edition". These give a lot of practical circuit examples, and Walt writes in a clear, concise and easy to understand manner. Unfortunately, "Audio IC Op Amp Applications, 3rd Edition" is out of print and used copies command high prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back