Finger on Trigger: Sansa Fuze or Iaudio 7 ???
Nov 14, 2008 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

vestaviascott

New Head-Fier
Need to make a purchase in time for next weekend delivery. Torn between Sansa Fuze 8G and Iaudio 7 16G

Any insights would be terrific to consider...

Pros for iaudio over Sansa

- standard USB
- FM recording to wma
- scheduled recordings of FM (wake device and record ala Tivo for radio)
- ability to playback at faster speed (for scanning fm recordings)
- battery life
- EQ and surround sound

Pros for Sansa Fuze over iA 7

- Cost ( i could purchase a decent set of cans, plus an 8G micro-sd for same price as iaudio 7 16G

- bigger screen

- expandible via microSD

Nov 14, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 13
The FM recording issue would really put the Sansa over the top if it were able to score scheduled recordings and/or recording in wma or mp3 vs wav. Wav is a disc hog, why would they choose to save recordings in that?

What are the odds they will change this in a firmware update?

Can you tell I'm rooting and leaning towards the Fuze?

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 13
well what features do you value? Is recording important? Is memory expansion more important? Maybe prioritize the importance of the features you value and we will give you our opinion.

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well what features do you value? Is recording important? Is memory expansion more important? Maybe prioritize the importance of the features you value and we will give you our opinion.

Fair question, I spent some time with the Fuze tonight at BB and came away less than impressed. The SQ was fine, but it was lacking in several key areas (weird proprietary 30 pin charge connection, no dedicated volume control, very limited sound tweaks, no detailed information on music tracks, volume not always accessible while viewing other menus). On a positive for the Fuze, the FM radio sounded exceptional, unfortunately it records in WAV.

Here's my ranking...

1) Sound Quality

2) Ability to schedule recordings off FM (for morning talk radio and afternoon sports talk shows)

3) want adequate space for FLACs and FM broadcasts (16G will probably do it, depending on how large the FM recordings are. It's talk radio so should be able to get by with low bitrate)

4) Ability to scrub through sound files with audible search (I checked out the fuze at BB tonight and it does not have audible FF search, not sure if IAudio 7 has this or not)

5) Standard USB charge connection

6) Lots of configurability and sound tweaking options (I found the Fuze very lacking in this respect)

Nov 15, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vestaviascott /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Pros for iaudio over Sansa

- EQ

The Fuze has an EQ.
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 13
depending on your headphones, the i7 hisses.
and not just mildly, but quite a nasty kind of hissing.

Nov 15, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but it's crap....

Ah. I didn't know that. I was thinking of replacing my e260 with a Fuze. Anybody know if the EQ in the Fuze is crappier than the one in the e260v2?

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vestaviascott /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fair question, I spent some time with the Fuze tonight at BB and came away less than impressed. The SQ was fine, but it was lacking in several key areas (weird proprietary 30 pin charge connection, no dedicated volume control, very limited sound tweaks, no detailed information on music tracks, volume not always accessible while viewing other menus). On a positive for the Fuze, the FM radio sounded exceptional, unfortunately it records in WAV.

Here's my ranking...

1) Sound Quality

2) Ability to schedule recordings off FM (for morning talk radio and afternoon sports talk shows)

3) want adequate space for FLACs and FM broadcasts (16G will probably do it, depending on how large the FM recordings are. It's talk radio so should be able to get by with low bitrate)

4) Ability to scrub through sound files with audible search (I checked out the fuze at BB tonight and it does not have audible FF search, not sure if IAudio 7 has this or not)

5) Standard USB charge connection

6) Lots of configurability and sound tweaking options (I found the Fuze very lacking in this respect)

My $1 (everything costs more now)

I think you made up your mind and just want people to support you in your decision. You are going with the Iaudio7. The fuze cannot schedule recordings or provide you with the sound tweaking features that Iaudio7 has. The fuze is practically flat with the EQ off. If your headphones are decent, there is no real need to play with the EQ. The Iaudio7 may suffer from some low frequency rolloff with low-Z phones, so yes the EQ is needed. Iaudio7 has background hiss. I know I could not live with the Iaudio7 because of this fact alone. Paired with sensitive phones, the background hiss with jump out on you. There are ways to fix this problem (i.e., in-line volume control), but this solution is less than perfect in my book. The fuze is very quiet. Good luck.

Nov 15, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #10 of 13
I am sold to Cowon players but some of the pros to consider:

You can play .ogg and flac and EQ is very tweakable.

Also file browsing in tree directory, drag and drop availability, long lasting battery,

Also I never experienced hissss with my IEMs and Cowon players.

regards,

Nov 15, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but it's crap....

No it is not bad, it's just that the overall gain decline when it use, giving a sq worse and only with good earphones/headphones to notice the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back