Fine Pitch Soldering
Mar 15, 2019 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

AudiophileInTheMaking

New Head-Fier
C4248080-7C8D-4B7C-88EE-BD56C24A457F.png FC77D499-BE38-4068-ACF8-B0901D699D16.png I need to solder a litz wire to each pin of an 8 pin female mini usb socket (see link or attached photos)
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cKtfy66G

Any ideas on how to solder this? I have a microscope and have tried various techniques, but have been unsucessful. Any members/companies I could pay to do this?

Mar 18, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 8
Its going to be REALLY hard to solder to fine pitch leads like that (note that I can't tell from a pic with the pitch actually is), if the leads are up in the air.

If you could find an adapter board with the right pad pattern so that you could modify to solder the connector down to it, that would give you a better chance to do this. If the leads were anchored to pcd pads, it will be easier to solder wires to them.

Or learn a pcb program, and design yourself a simple little adapter board. There are some free programs, like kicad, which should work.

Good luck

Apr 11, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #3 of 8
I need to solder a litz wire to each pin of an 8 pin female mini usb socket (see link or attached photos)
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cKtfy66G

Any ideas on how to solder this? I have a microscope and have tried various techniques, but have been unsucessful. Any members/companies I could pay to do this?

What are you making? In other words what are you going to use the usb to connect. I've seen this before and replaced them on computer keyboards. I have a pinout somewhere but I'm pretty sure you need some type of PCB to do this. Let me know and I'll look it up.

May 6, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #4 of 8
Get silver paint (or glue). Dip the cable in it, and under the microscope and with fine tweezers (like dummond #5) apply it to the contact and wait until it dries. When all are glued, cover them with a drop of 2-component epoxy (like araldite). Wait until it cures. done.

May 7, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 8
To build on the glue idea, they do make low temperature soldering paste that lets you affix wires and then heating up causes it to flow- I think this can even accomplished with a heat gun almost like a low quality reflow process.
Perhaps embedding everything in a heat resistant type of modeling clay would keep it in place so you could do it all at once. I have never done anything this small but find its usually advantageous to tin both sides first (this removes the varnish from litz also).

Still I think this could be pretty maddening, solder + small wires makes it really difficult to avoid breaking leads or accidental contact between pins. Probably better to follow the PCB advice or if you don't mind jury rigged solutions, maybe just buy a prebuilt cable (if you can find for an oddball connector like that), strip it down to the wire and splice.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 8
I would not attempt to attach wires to a part designed to be surface mounted with that many leads.

Learn to use a pcb design package or commission someone to design an adapter board with a nice little JST-PH connector on it. Someone who isn't me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back