Finding / Replacing Pads for the Sony CD1000 / CD3000
Nov 30, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #35 of 44
Mine are in progress. They are cut and partially sewn. I have the piece of lambskin shaping on some foam dies? I made. I will post pics once done. The lambskin mods to the headband and stechy pad thingie are thoroughly done. It just takes a long time because I do tiny hand stitches.

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've done similar... Not pretty enough. Good for you, though..

I know.

They have both wrinkles AND seams. unacceptable by your standards to be sure.

But your statement that its not possible to build a DIY pad has been proven incorrect.
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine are in progress. They are cut and partially sewn. I have the piece of lambskin shaping on some foam dies? I made. I will post pics once done. The lambskin mods to the headband and stechy pad thingie are thoroughly done. It just takes a long time because I do tiny hand stitches.

You rock! I cant wait to see photos.

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now I am going to do black first.

There will be wood cups for this headphone in the future and if this goes well, I might do some matching colored pads. Maybe do Lambda pads because they are stiff leather and make your ears sweaty.

The lambskin I purchased is high grade 1.5-2oz leather so it will be extremely supple and take shapes very well. I am going to do it all hand stitched and completely out of leather (no stretchy fabric). My aunt stitches quilts (obsession
redface.gif
) in her spare time and gave me some advice about it.

Seamless construction does not mean high quality. Finely hand stitched is going to always look the best and last the longest.

We will just have to wait and see how these turn out.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you getting the raw materials? I've search google and ebay for leather, but I only get goods like wallets, etc...

My CD3000 pads are ruined. The headband (stretchy thing) is broken on one side and is kept together using some twist wire. The cable is messed up as well. The sound gets cut off from one side is it's messed with. I'm going to try to restore these phones.

What about these beyerdynamic pads? They look like snap ins pads, but I bet they could be attached to some stretchy material. I guess I'll try one out. I did a bit of reading on the effects of the pads and people say they affect the bass. I always thought the CD3000 were a bit lean with bass. I actually peeled off the pleather (biocellthingy) off and noticed that it did affect the bass. It lost a lot of presence. I put some tape (thick packaging tape) over the pads all around and the bass appeared to come back. Pretty interesting, but very ugly and uncomfortable. I want to try some leather.

Dec 1, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #38 of 44
Mecc,

It sounds like you have a lot of problems.
I am pretty sure that I can fix them up for you, but you might want to post some pics.

If the top band assembly is messed up, your best bet is Audio Cubes II - High Fidelity Audio Products
Kuboten might have something, but you would really have to seen.

You should check out the thread I posted in the R10 Thread for modifications.

Beyer pads will not work. The closest would be A900 and they don't work. Replacement pads are about $85 after shipping from Kuboten.

The "leather" I used is a very high grade Lambskin Skiver. It is actually a higher grade than the R10 pads and I had to buy an entire skin to get this particular piece. No one stocks this kind of item, it is something you would need to wait to pop up on the internet somewhere.

This is what my CD1000 look like right now (the headband and strechy pad are both covered in lambskin).

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #39 of 44
Germania,

I have a CD3000 and all the fake leather parts was in terrible condition , the headband was lost but the drivers and the cable was like new . I had a big piece of (about 50cm to 70 cm) amazingly soft and beautiful lambskin and also covered the headband and made a new strechy pad.

I was trying to find a solution for a R10 style earpads (the lambskin I have is amazing to touch) . Can you show us your finished project and do you have patterns for the leather cut outs for the earpads? Any tips or suggestions?

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Germania good luck trying ot find them, but honestly the last time I was hunting for them, Khon was the only alternative, and I got the last three pairs he could furnish at that time, which eventually I sold while I sold my CD3K's. As both models were discontnued, they are no longer made, if you can grab them they will last for about 5 more years taking good care of them...otherwise goind DIY will not harm.

Ordered my replacement earpads from sony parts, the real store for 18.00 bucks an ear and 6.000 dollars shipping. part number is 494622001 for the left, 22101 for the right, add the other digits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back