finding a local electronic parts store
Mar 8, 2008 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dcrane

Head-Fier
I am short a couple of cheap resistors in my current project [pimeta]. But, the only local store that I know that has parts is Radio Shack. They are ok but they have a limited selection and seem way overpriced. Does anyone know how I can find a local store that sells small parts? I live in Delaware County, PA. Otherwise, I have to buy extra parts to make an order worthwhile when I need less 50 cents worth of parts.

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #2 of 8
It's normally pretty hard to find much of a local electronics shop, unless where you live has or used to have alot of electronics manufacturers. For the cheapest route, if the radioshack metal film resistor pack has something that would work, then that might be what I would do. Frys (if you have one) might also have something, but the one here doesn't seem to restock
rolleyes.gif

Otherwise, you could post a WTB in the cable/misc. section of the for sale forums here, and maybe someone will toss a couple of resistors in an envelope and mail them to you?

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Frys (if you have one) might also have something, but the one here doesn't seem to restock
rolleyes.gif

Fry's? I didn't know they had that kind of stuff. Good to know!

Mar 8, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's normally pretty hard to find much of a local electronics shop, unless where you live has or used to have alot of electronics manufacturers. For the cheapest route, if the radioshack metal film resistor pack has something that would work, then that might be what I would do. Frys (if you have one) might also have something, but the one here doesn't seem to restock
rolleyes.gif

You'd be surprised, most reasonably sized communities have at least a hole in the wall electronics shop. Check your Yellow Pages, in mine they're listed under 'Electronic Equipment & Supplies'. You seem to live near Philadelphia; I can guarantee you that a metro area of that size has at least a few electronics shops. I live in the 'burbs of Vancouver and there are at least 3 shops within 20km of me, outside the city.

You could also try electronics repair depots. They're sure to carry stock of various resistors; you might be able to talk one of them into selling you a couple.

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 8
There are many electronic shops but they don't always state what they really sell. I get like best buy and lighting electronics, etc. I did find an Allied Electronics in Chadds Ford, PA. There is another place called Cooper Electric Supply that is much closer but I'm not sure exactly what they sell (resistors, capacitors, etc) - they have a line card that has Fluke but no Vishay and I don't know that many manufacturers. I usually just put in the specs I want in Mouser or Digikey and it gives me what I want so I don't get to hung up on brands for most things. Anybody had any experience with local Cooper or Allied stores?

Mar 8, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are many electronic shops but they don't always state what they really sell. I get like best buy and lighting electronics, etc. I did find an Allied Electronics in Chadds Ford, PA. There is another place called Cooper Electric Supply that is much closer but I'm not sure exactly what they sell (resistors, capacitors, etc) - they have a line card that has Fluke but no Vishay and I don't know that many manufacturers. I usually just put in the specs I want in Mouser or Digikey and it gives me what I want so I don't get to hung up on brands for most things. Anybody had any experience with local Cooper or Allied stores?

Allied definitely sells this kind of stuff, they're one of the big guys. Looks like they have Vishay/Dale in their web catalog - not sure about their outlet - but they'll have resistors. Cooper does seem like more of an electrical supply place than electronics. If you're in doubt, just give them a call and ask
wink.gif

Mar 8, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fry's? I didn't know they had that kind of stuff. Good to know!

I was rather shocked myself at the Chicago area Fry's when I saw an aisle marked as "Components" next to the one with PC cases, etc......I figured that it might be power supplies for PC's, parts for enclosures, etc. but turned the corner and saw a relatively huge number of electronic parts, far more than one would find in a RadioShack. Surprising, I think--since RS apparently thinks they can't make money on that and stocks less and less all the time.

Mar 9, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was rather shocked myself at the Chicago area Fry's when I saw an aisle marked as "Components" next to the one with PC cases, etc......I figured that it might be power supplies for PC's, parts for enclosures, etc. but turned the corner and saw a relatively huge number of electronic parts, far more than one would find in a RadioShack. Surprising, I think--since RS apparently thinks they can't make money on that and stocks less and less all the time.

I was just up there this past week. Lots of empty hooks on those racks. Lots of opened boxes. Was going to pick up a soldering station, but all the boxes were torn open!

Sometimes, there are a lot of good bargains there. but like ratshack, they carry a lot of "cheap import" crap, instead of nice, quality components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back