Find out if there's something wrong with your computer source setup
Jun 27, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #91 of 104
Interesting. I just ran this on my DT880s+PIMETA off of an chaintech AV-710. I tried it with upsampling on and off, and in both cases there was a piercing high frequency tone at a much higher volume than the telephone noise. With upsampling enabled (to 88.2 khz) there was noticable distortion in the high frequency signal. As a result of this test, I'm no longer using upsampling. Seems to me all it adds is a bit of noise, which may be pleasant for some people, but isn't accurate.

*EDIT*

My ears still hurt 5 minutes after playing that damn signal, even with the volume so low I could barely hear the telephone noises. Tread carefully people, especially if you've got good high frequency hearing and would like to keep it.

Jul 7, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #92 of 104
This needs to be bumped
wink.gif

Oh, by the way, it played fine here. No distortion, no weird sounds, just a phone. I can't hear up to 20 khz, though
smily_headphones1.gif

Setup:
Foobar 8.2 -> DirectSound 2.0 Output -> Aureon 5.1 Sky -> DT531

-Taurui

Jul 9, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #93 of 104
I could not hear the high freq at +/- 20.000 hertz.
Maybe I blew up my tweaters right now.
I tried also with a headphone, but no high freq.

I have a test cd and loaded a 19000H signal onto my cd player and could not hear it also.
I am getting deaf at age of 33
frown.gif

Jul 10, 2004 at 1:24 AM Post #95 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taurui
I can't hear beyond 16,5khz and I'm 20 (which is pretty much normal!)

Are you saying no hearing beyond 16.5khz is normal or being 20 is normal?

Please state source.

Jul 10, 2004 at 8:04 AM Post #96 of 104
Is being able to hear up to 174khz normal? I realize at that point you're probably just hearing the harmonics, but still. I was pretty impressed at myself nonetheless
wink.gif
Yay for Pacific Science Center exhibits!!

Jul 10, 2004 at 8:15 AM Post #97 of 104
I would not be surprised that by listening to this audio clip your hearing is being damaged. High frequency noises are very harmful to your hearing if played too much or too loud. Tried it once about a month ago and my ears hated me for it.

Jul 10, 2004 at 8:33 AM Post #98 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
I would not be surprised that by listening to this audio clip your hearing is being damaged. High frequency noises are very harmful to your hearing if played too much or too loud. Tried it once about a month ago and my ears hated me for it.

Same for me - I have tinnitus and this test made my ears ring really loudly for a while.

Jul 10, 2004 at 9:11 AM Post #99 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80
Are you saying no hearing beyond 16.5khz is normal or being 20 is normal?

Please state source.

Guess
rolleyes.gif

Source = Dunno. We had a listening test at Jan Meiers meet, and everyone was pretty close to those 16,5khz .. if you don't believe me, maybe google a bit.

Jul 10, 2004 at 9:49 AM Post #100 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taurui
Guess
rolleyes.gif

Source = Dunno. We had a listening test at Jan Meiers meet, and everyone was pretty close to those 16,5khz .. if you don't believe me, maybe google a bit.

Same here.
16Khz I can hear.
17Khz I can hear slightly.
18Khz I don't hear.

I know I used to hear (10 years ago) 19Khz.

Aug 29, 2004 at 11:55 PM Post #101 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
If you hear telephone sounds, everything is fine. If you hear anything else, including:
1) ambulance or siren or "alien" rising/falling type sounds
2) modulated noise
3) distorted tones (clipping)
then there is something wrong with your setup.

If something in the signal path is distorting this track, you can bet it's also happening subtly when you play back music.

so that high pitch noise is supposed to be subtle? i can hear it loud and clear, it sorta modulates with the telephone sound. i am not sure if this is distortion however, as IMO my ears are very sensitive to high pitch noise. with SSRC/PPHS, there is some crackling/popping noises added to the mix. soft clipping limiter makes funny 'alien' sound in the same vein but much more bearable (toned down to lower pitch) to hear.
i am using replaygain with clipping attenuation, advanced limiter didnt seem to have any impact on it. what am i missing here?

EDIT : the noise with soft clipping limither is like x10 louder than without it, so maybe it is the 20hz high pitch whine that is meant to be there...

Aug 30, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #102 of 104
there was the alien sound when i forgot to turn off the crossfeed.

but after i turned that dsp off it was perfectly clear with no strange sounds!

wee for m-audiophile usb with latest drivers!

Aug 30, 2004 at 1:34 AM Post #103 of 104
I had a bit of alien/crackling sound, but screwing with volume sliders fixed that.

i had the track on repeat, and the volume up higher than normal listening levels (i forgot to switch it back after i changed sessions in patchmix from -10 to +4), and i must have listened to it a dozen times while changing volume sliders to get rid of crackling. i heard the high pitched noise... or mostly heard it... sorta just felt a presence. not pressure, just... felt like i heard something different. i wouldnt' expect my hearing to be good above even 16khz at this point (middle ear surgery and years of listening to loud music), so i'm suprised i heard anything. now however i've got the beginings of a headache. ugh.

so the track did do what it was supposed to do so far as testing and revealing artifacts is concerned, but i still do not understand why the phone tones needed to be so soft.

Sep 9, 2004 at 8:40 AM Post #104 of 104
If you want to know your hearing frequency, download soundcheck and test the frequency at the ends. I can hear 20hz-16khz.

This test is quite useful. I heard a alien buzzing(4times) when i plug my Hd580 into line out (not rear out) on AV-710. The setup was enable high sample rate, using asio. When i plug the cans to rear out, the sound is pure. I guess this means that line out is just crap compare to rear out when in high sample rate on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back