Find out if there's something wrong with your computer source setup
Apr 28, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #16 of 104
I never said I had it on loud, it was just a friggin high frequency.
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #17 of 104
Chaintech Av-710 passes with any settings as long as it's in 2 channel hi-res mode. Also the Xitel USB PCLink thingy that came with my mindisc passes with or without resampling.

The Crystal Sound Fusion in the other PC sounds like aliens phoning home no matter how I have it set.
eek.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #18 of 104
I tested with Foobar (only resampled 48000hz), Santa Cruz and HD580 unamped. It does not work with crossfeed however. The long tones go right-left-right-left ...
frown.gif
Is this supposed to happen with crossfeed plugin?

Apr 28, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #20 of 104
Argh, .ape. OS X can't do .ape.

Can someone post a FLAC version please?

Apr 28, 2004 at 11:11 PM Post #21 of 104
Did some more testing in foobar, crossfeed by itself does create interference, but it disappeared when combined with the advanced limiter. The soft clipping limiter also creates slightly lower pitched interference.

Apr 28, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #23 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
As I posted in the EMU thread, it sounds clear and unadulterated on both the modded EMu and modded RME that I have.

BTW I used ASIO output on foobar for both.

How is your patchmix DSP setup? Just wondering if you have it right or not.

Apr 29, 2004 at 12:51 AM Post #24 of 104
I tested with foobar (96khz resample, 24bit padded to 32) on my M-Audio Revolution and the file sounded fine. I could pick up the 20khz noise at medium voulume levels and a bit of a sin wave sound at very high volumes. This was with my home setup of revo -> pimeta -> Hd-580.

-vtny

Apr 29, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #25 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
By the way, if your hearing is very good and you turn up the volume enough, you may also be able to hear a faint high-pitched sound (around 20kHz). This is normal.

The problem sounds, if they occur, are much more obvious.

Yup sounds like a phone dialing. No warbling or "ambulance" sound. Yikes what is that really high pitched tone that pulses there? It's a steady pulse in synch with the dial tones. It gives me a piercing headache.

I can even hear slight clicking which sounds like switching of the phone tones? Sounds like the individual dial tones being activated.

I can hear it quite well with my R10's. This is with my modded RME PAD. With my Audigy 2 digital output to my Grace's DAC, it's easier to listen to as the high end is really rolled off. Still sounds like dial tones.

Thanks Wodgy, a very interesting test. MAkes me feel better that the clipping I've heard in some songs are from the recording. (lazy audio engineers...)

-Ed

Apr 29, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #26 of 104
That high freq noise is killer! All good here.

Apr 29, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #28 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
By the way, if your hearing is very good and you turn up the volume enough, you may also be able to hear a faint high-pitched sound (around 20kHz). This is normal.

The problem sounds, if they occur, are much more obvious.

I can hear the high pitched sounds at a normal volume with my setup... thankfully there's no distortion. Thanks for reposting this from HA, this is a great way to find out if one's setup is causing distortion, particularly at higher frequencies.

A repeat on the cautions... don't crank the volume too high (and if you do, don't play it more than once or twice). If I remember right, the volume of the ~19KHz signal is so high that it could cause hearing damage if repeated over and over again for long enough. It's much louder than the DTMF tones, but sounds quieter because it's such a high frequency.

Apr 29, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #29 of 104
Tested with Chaintech AV-710; did fine both resampling to 24/96, as well as stock 16/44.1. My SB Live!, OTOH, even with Kx Drivers and Rear Out, sucked. With no resampling, the 20KHz wave was very warbly. Resampling to 48KHz (avoiding in-card resampling) it was better, but still a tad off. Not quite as crisp. Plus, there's the wonderful constant 'clickclickclick' sound through that card. I still have no idea what it's from, but I'm glad I don't have to deal with it anymore
biggrin.gif

Oh, and yes, don't listen too much. 20KHz is really freaking annoying. And probably not good for you.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 29, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #30 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
A repeat on the cautions... don't crank the volume too high (and if you do, don't play it more than once or twice). If I remember right, the volume of the ~19KHz signal is so high that it could cause hearing damage if repeated over and over again for long enough. It's much louder than the DTMF tones, but sounds quieter because it's such a high frequency.

I sure as heck can't hear it. Guess it can't ruin *my* hearing any worse than it already is...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back