Finally....
Dec 11, 2002 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Xtop_sg

New Head-Fier
after weeks of waiting, my micro zotl has arrived!
I have marked this day by changing my AVATAR to one that reflects my new amp.
I am currently cooking it with my equally raw HD 600 - playing radio music.
I'll post my impression once they are cooked and ready to sample
smily_headphones1.gif

Any pointers, anyone?
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #6 of 13
I just use some bass heavy music and let it play forever while I sleep and do other things. I have a copy of Bass Mekanik's Quad Maximus for breaking-in new cans. I listen to them to set the level to teh level which won't damage the drivers, then set them down and fight the urge to keep picking them up and listening to them every hour or so!! This is the same thing as WalliJohn's suggestion, but this test CD has notes of 5 seconds each from 10Hz-100Hz. I find the lowest note my cans can handle and reproduce well, then repeat play it for at least 24 hours.

Dec 13, 2002 at 2:03 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by mbriant
Is your new amp pink?

This was my first impression too...
biggrin.gif

LOL... sorry, sorry... i just couldn't see myself owning a pink amp amongst all my other silvery or black audio gear. But that's pretty cool... in a pee-wee herman's playhouse kind of way (don't take that as a dis, i LIKED that show).

Dec 13, 2002 at 2:16 AM Post #8 of 13
Is your new amp pink ?[/QUOTE]

mbriant & lobstersan, ok edited the color.
Actually, it is a very nice "orangey" red.
David Berning has taken the hue from those old RCA tube box. See below
It is really a nice - I like it so much
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2002 at 2:26 AM Post #9 of 13
Xtop,
Congrats on your new acquisition!
I auditioned the ZOTL prsonal amplifier with HD 600s at the HIFI Expo back in August. Indeed it sounds great! What I didn't realize is that it's a 1 Watt amplifier! Hey, this thing's gotta be powerful enough to drive them AKG K1000s! Coooooool!
Cheers,
Alex Altorfer
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2002 at 4:08 AM Post #11 of 13
The ZOTL puts out like 1watt, while the K1000 likes more like 7 watts. Sorry, but it might not do such a good job!!

Dec 13, 2002 at 4:41 AM Post #12 of 13
The ZOTL will work with the K-1000, but you're going to have to pin the volume control near max. Still, it sounded pretty good...

Congrats on the new ZOTL
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2002 at 3:58 AM Post #13 of 13
Enjoy the stock tubes for a while before rolling them! Are the new ones modded in any way from those that are a couple years old?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back